Good fantasy page-turners

Pilusmagnus

Even if first-person narration implies that the character survives, it doesn't necessarily mean that their ending will a happy one. The narrator might be awaiting execution; or crippled; or ruined.

Or -- old and waiting to die. Quite a few historical fiction series, particularly those connected with the Arthurian legends, are written by the now incapacitated by age and changing times warrior, either a monk himself, or living with monks, writing down everything he and the knights lived through. I vaguely recall one even written alternately by Lancelot and Guinivere, he in his monastery and she in her convent, recalling each other but never allowed by God and their vows to see other ever again. Then there's an epilogue: they die the same hour and the sympathetic monks and nuns bury them side-by-side. Arthur, of course, is off in Avalon, or a cave, or -- well, elsewhere anyway.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Butcher's attitude to gay people, but I don't recall it from the novels myself at all. Is it possible that UK editions did some editing, or did I just read inattentively?

A few passages in "Cold Days" made me roll my eyes. Think I must have the UK editions as well as I actually didn't get an e-book version.

Well, I was going to rec the runelords, just to change it up a little.

Getting there, getting there.

Or -- old and waiting to die. Quite a few historical fiction series, particularly those connected with the Arthurian legends, are written by the now incapacitated by age and changing times warrior, either a monk himself, or living with monks, writing down everything he and the knights lived through. I vaguely recall one even written alternately by Lancelot and Guinivere, he in his monastery and she in her convent, recalling each other but never allowed by God and their vows to see other ever again. Then there's an epilogue: they die the same hour and the sympathetic monks and nuns bury them side-by-side. Arthur, of course, is off in Avalon, or a cave, or -- well, elsewhere anyway.

The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco comes to mind. Which is also a must-read.

A good example too is Sword at Sunset, by Rosemary Sutcliffe, narrated by Arthur as he's dying of his wounds.

Why? Is it homophobic or simply stupid?

It can't be both?

It's almost as if responding to recommendation request threads has become its own sub genre. I, for one, am a fan of Darth Richard's work.

Yes and absolutely, but today I think he needs a helping hand. I am here to provide a great recommendation. Much excitement to be had! I recommend a strong drink to go with it. Something green I think.

Are you looking for a series of books or fantasy standalones? And how prevalent do you want the fantasy elements to be?

If you want a long series with a lot of magic you can try the Malazan book of the Fallen. It's laughable and nonsensical but the first few books can be described as "page-turners."

For a low-fantasy standalone I would recommend Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.

Yes and absolutely, but today I think he needs a helping hand. I am here to provide a great recommendation.

I started to read the book description, it began thus:

"She was near.

Deep in his bones, her essence surrounded him and the memory of her was an ache that eight long years had not dulled."

... and I stopped to ponder how you can be surrounded deep in your bones. I still haven't reached a conclusion.

Don't read Bakker. Unless you really want an example of how to write unrelatable and weak characters. Otherwise, just don't read Bakker.

Some of the are definitely relatable, but they can't all be, and they shouldn't. And most are not weak. edt: Some important ones are weak though. Most notably, Kellhus.

I started to read the book description, it began thus:

"She was near.

Deep in his bones, her essence surrounded him and the memory of her was an ache that eight long years had not dulled."

... and I stopped to ponder how you can be surrounded deep in your bones. I still haven't reached a conclusion.

She was in his bones. Her essence is what surrounded him.

Aside: just noticed that Patrick Rothfus has a 4.7 average rating on Goodreads...

Archived