5 Reasons Why I Think a Sansa/Aegon Match is Coming

Good Guy Garlan

I think that the notion that Doran will somehow support FAegon without gaining anything from that is at least ridiculous, childish and naïve. No matter whose child is FAegon needs Dorne in order to prove his identity and no matter who the Doran will believe that he is he will marry him to Arianne and because Doran can give him something that no other supporter can he will have to marry her.

Ok, first of all, take a chill pill

Now, I actually agree with you. The rational thing, if Aegon is indeed Aegon, would be to marry him and Arianne to different people in order to get more alliances

But I don't think Doran and Arianne will be rational about it. They're blinded by revenge and ambition, respectively, so they'll push hard for a marriage.

But of course, with JonCon there to watch over Aegon cooler heads may prevail in the end

Now, I actually agree with you. The rational thing, if Aegon is indeed Aegon, would be to marry him and Arianne to different people in order to get more alliances

But I don't think Doran and Arianne will be rational about it. They're blinded by revenge and ambition, respectively, so they'll push hard for a marriage.

But of course, with JonCon there to watch over Aegon cooler heads may prevail in the end

The rational thing is to marry them to each other to show to the world that he is Elia's son. Now, JonCon can do whatever he wants but without the marriage they will not have Dorne. So he has to choose either marriage and Dorne or no marriage and no Dorne.

I honestly can't remember the distinction, but you're probably correct. Tywin and Joanna were cousins; were they 1st? I can't recall.

Yes they were. Also Lysa consider marrying Sansa to her son Robert, and Sansa problem with it was more how weak he was then they were first cousins. If we look at the leaked Stark genealogy from the World of Ice and Fire Ned's father married a cousin as well.The problem in the Seven kingdoms in more brother to sister than first cousins.

The rational thing is to marry them to each other to show to the world that he is Elia's son. Now, JonCon can do whatever he wants but without the marriage they will not have Dorne. So he has to choose either marriage and Dorne or no marriage and no Dorne.

Dorne's support will be enough to show the world that he is Elia's son

Maybe maybe not. But for Doran nothing less than marriage will be acceptable because he will not gain anything (without the marriage)

Yeah. We know he supported Viserys for King and that he also wanted Arianne as his Queen. So why would he support another "Targ" this time and not want Arianne to marry the "Targ" this time?

Yeah. We know he supported Viserys for King and that he also wanted Arianne as his Queen. So why would he support another "Targ" this time and not want Arianne to marry the "Targ" this time?

Exactly. FAegon is his only way of having one of his children on the IT so no matter who he will believe that he is, Doran will support him on order to make his daughter Queen.

Dorne's support will be enough to show the world that he is Elia's son

...Ah now i see where you are getting this theory! You're skipping ahead without realizing it.

It's the same when I brought up Littlefinger plan and you said it was a red herring (it is but that not the point). The way you dismissed LF's plan sounded to me like "Oh it's a red herring Littlefinger will be dead by the end of the next prologue, and Sansa will be married to Aegon the chapter after that." The thing is that Littlefinger plan is doom to fail but it must be played out until Sansa overthrows him. Early on in the next book Littlefinger going to do something (slipping up about being the one who convince Joffery to kill Ned or something about Jeyne Poole) that is going to make Sansa actively try to overthrow him. Eventually she will succed and bring the Vale lords under her but Littlefinger plot must keep going till she overthrows him.(hopefully midway through the next book).

So Yes Dorne will go to Aegon side, and yes they will proclaim that he is the true born son of Rheafar and Elia but you're skipping ahead. At the time of Aegon's Landing no one believes that he is really Aegon. DORAN does not believe that he is his nephew! His desire for revenge is the reason he is sending Arianne to see if he is the real thing otherwise he probably just ignore them while making another plot in how to get his revenge against the Lannisters. Also when you or someone else said "well sending Arianne was a stupid idea because they can capture her and make Dorne fight for them" that is probably the worst thing they can do. The goal is to prove to her that he is her cousin capturing her and saying that they will kill her if Dorne does not fight with them prove the exact opposite it say that they cannot even convince the Martells of his legitimacy it weakening his cause to an almost incomprehensible level. Also while yes Jon C. may try to prevent Arianne for getting with Aegon the problem is not Jon C. diligence it's Aegon youthfulness and recklessness that is the problem. Aegon has probably never even talked to a girl his own age let alone seduce by and older attractive woman he will probably fall head over heels in love or he sleep with her and out of guilt marry her like Robb did with Jenye Westerling.

Also you don't like the idea of Jon being Sansa's Targaryen because you consider them brother and sister and are squicked out by that. The problem whether familial or romantic love Jon is one of the few people Sansa would truly be happy to see. Since as far as they both of them know they are all they have left of the people from Winterfell.

I think they meant that Ned Stark was part of the rebellion that killed the Targaryen.

But whatever, I agree with you. Aegon still needs the North, and Sansa could bring together the North, the Vale and the Riverlands. Arianne is not only just bringing Dorne, but that would send a wrong message: Aegon would be marrying into Dorne for help. Why would he if he's already the son of Elia and nephew of Doran Martell? He only needs to ask for such help, in the same way the Riverlands only needed to ask Robb and the Starks for help, not marrying him to a Tully, due to being tied together via marriage with Cat (and that's the reason Arryn married Lysa, in first place). If Doran is smart, then Arianne should marry someone else, like Willas. Then, Aegon would have the North, the Vale, the Riverlands, the Stormlands, Dorne and the Reach.

Also, the logic of "Sansa is already fed up with pretty boys, so he won't like Aegon" is something I find absurd. Just because she has been abused by Joffrey and had a bad marriage is she supposed to stay a single virgin for the rest of her life or go for ugly men only? I can picture Sansa first rejecting Aegon because she's afraid to commit the same mistake again, but Aegon is nothing like Joffrey nor Harry the Heir. Just because she has learnt the lesson about Prince Charming doesn't mean he can't actually meet one who is worthy enough. Aegon fits that: he's not bad looking and he's actually smart and kind. Why wouldn't Sansa fall for him once he realises he's not a monster like Joffrey?

LOL Nice strawman.

It's not about Sansa not liking good looking men, it's about Sansa not being impressed by arrogant dumbasses who don't have much going on except looks and high birth/name (fake in this case). And fAegon is a dumbass from what we know of him: hotheaded, arrogant, easily manipulated, entitled, a lot like Waymar Royce only less brave (freezing the first time he was in real danger and having to be saved by a dwarf). I don't know where you're getting the smart and kind thing; there's no reason to think he is a bad guy or unkind, but he hasn't shown any particular kindness or any other great personal qualities yet.

The "he's right for her because he is a pretty prince and not a monster like Joffrey!" argument is silly. What's wrong with Harry the Heir then? There's no reason to think he's a monster like Joffrey, either. He is just a womanizer like Robert Baratheon. If Joffrey is your standard, you're setting the bar low.

The OP's argument that Aegon is a naive romantic like Sansa was is wrong. Aegon is not a romantic on the personal level, he doesn't dream of romance, he wants to marry his supposed aunt he has never met for dynastic reasons, nor does he believe in true knights from the songs or wants to be one. He just wants to be a conquering hero and take what he thinks he has the right to because of his name. There are no particular similarities to Sansa there, while he's not very different from the majority of young noblemen in the story.

As to the possibilities of a political match, it's possible, but convoluted. Aegon needs help in winning the IT, which Sansa can't provide (unlike, say, the Dornish), he would see a Stark as a traitors daughter and that match probably wouldn't go well with JonCon and other Targaryen supporters, and on Santa's part, Aegon doesn't give her what she wants, which is the North, rather than being the queen on the IT.

Narratively, it makes even less sense for Sansa to hitch her wagon to fAegon, who is a doomed character if there ever was one, meant to muddy the waters before the real resolution of the story with Dany and Jon starts.

In any case, fAegon's hand is a big prize and the first great lord to join him should collect it if he has the wits in a cabbage (I know Doran has). Therefore, Doran joining fAegon first but letting his hand go away does not make sense.

TWoW spoiler:

There is also this interesting parallel building up. IMO, fAegon will marry Arianne but fell for Elia Sand, who is a jouster like Lyanna. That resembles the Rhaegar-Elia-Lyanna triangle. I give it more shot than the Tourney of Ashford thing.

I think that the notion that Doran will somehow support FAegon without gaining anything from that is at least ridiculous, childish and naïve. No matter whose child is FAegon needs Dorne in order to prove his identity and no matter who the Doran will believe that he is he will marry him to Arianne and because Doran can give him something that no other supporter can he will have to marry her.

The problem with this is that by insisting Aegon marry Arianne, Doran is signaling that he doesn't believe Aegon to be Elia's son. This would be bad for Aegon AND Dorne. The only way a marriage between Aegon and Arianne comes about is if they do a Robb and Jeyne. There is no way older and wiser heads would let this happen. Either Dorne supports Aegon unconditionally or they don't support him at all.

ETA: Yeah, I think an Aegon and Sansa marriage is in the future.

The problem with this is that by insisting Aegon marry Arianne, Doran is signaling that he doesn't believe Aegon to be Elia's son. This would be bad for Aegon AND Dorne. The only way a marriage between Aegon and Arianne comes about is if they do a Robb and Jeyne. There is no way older and wiser heads would let this happen. Either Dorne supports Aegon unconditionally or they don't support him at all.

How is that? Will people think that Doran can marry his heiress to a false pretender, possibly a bastard? Besides, Targaryens are known to marry the closest kin when they do not have sisters to marry. And cousin marriages are not considered incest in Westeros (ask Tywin and Joanna).

What's the link between Lady Ashford and Sansa?

On the contrary, Doran seems to be one of the few characters not blinded by revenge and hatred. And from the sample chapters, it appears Arianne has changed for the better (and taken after her father in some ways) and recognises her faults. She never even entertains any thoughts of marriage.

And from the sample chapters, it appears Arianne has changed for the better (and taken after her father in some ways) and recognises her faults.

I think it is too early to say that. The progress of Arianne will be seen when she faces real tests, just like fAegon. I think most of the praises Varys made about him will turn out to be BS.

I think it is too early to say that. The progress of Arianne will be seen when she faces real tests, just like fAegon. I think most of the praises Varys made about him will turn out to be BS.

She's already recognizing the error of her ways and that's always a significant step. You can already see in her first chapter that she's become better at listening and more open minded. Then there's the constant and cautious communication with her father. Tougher tests will follow but she seems well prepared.

I totally and utterly disagree. By marrying him to his daughter he recognize him as his family. It's really silly to believe that someone will support someone else without any gain. If they have no gain they will not support him and without Dorne support no one will ever even think that FAegon is real. FAegon needs Dorne in order to prove his identity and Dorne needs the Throne in order to support him.

LOL Nice strawman.

It's not about Sansa not liking good looking men, it's about Sansa not being impressed by arrogant dumbasses who don't have much going on except looks and high birth/name (fake in this case). And fAegon is a dumbass from what we know of him: hotheaded, arrogant, easily manipulated, entitled, a lot like Waymar Royce only less brave (freezing the first time he was in real danger and having to be saved by a dwarf). I don't know where you're getting the smart and kind thing; there's no reason to think he is a bad guy or unkind, but he hasn't shown any particular kindness or any other great personal qualities yet.

The "he's right for her because he is a pretty prince and not a monster like Joffrey!" argument is silly. What's wrong with Harry the Heir then? There's no reason to think he's a monster like Joffrey, either. He is just a womanizer like Robert Baratheon. If Joffrey is your standard, you're setting the bar low.

The OP's argument that Aegon is a naive romantic like Sansa was is wrong. Aegon is not a romantic on the personal level, he doesn't dream of romance, he wants to marry his supposed aunt he has never met for dynastic reasons, nor does he believe in true knights from the songs or wants to be one. He just wants to be a conquering hero and take what he thinks he has the right to because of his name. There are no particular similarities to Sansa there, while he's not very different from the majority of young noblemen in the story.

As to the possibilities of a political match, it's possible, but convoluted. Aegon needs help in winning the IT, which Sansa can't provide (unlike, say, the Dornish), he would see a Stark as a traitors daughter and that match probably wouldn't go well with JonCon and other Targaryen supporters, and on Santa's part, Aegon doesn't give her what she wants, which is the North, rather than being the queen on the IT.

Narratively, it makes even less sense for Sansa to hitch her wagon to fAegon, who is a doomed character if there ever was one, meant to muddy the waters before the real resolution of the story with Dany and Jon starts.

I don't mean he's romantic in the sense of rainbows and kisses. I mean he has a romaticized view of things, which you pretty much admitted by saying he considers himself a conquering hero, and he not once considers he may fail, but yet is utterly unprepared for actual battle. It's a different sort of naivety than Sansa's, but it's there. He's kinda like Robb without realizing how damn hard it was to be king.

And I think it makes a lot of sense narratively. Aegon may be doomed but not anytime soon, because you don't introduce such a pivotal character this late just to have be another Quentyn. And this match or alliance would set the Starks against Dany, which would be totally up Martin's alley. Besides, people in-universe are not going to see Aegon as another doomed pretender

She's already recognizing the error of her ways and that's always a significant step. You can already see in her first chapter that she's become better at listening and more open minded. Then there's the constant and cautious communication with her father. Tougher tests will follow but she seems well prepared.

She thinks she's becoming more mature, but she ain't, at least not yet. If anything she now has the goal of the IT after finding out she almost had it with Viserys. This is Martin's signature character development: characters are in denial, reassuring themselves of something but doing the opposite

I totally and utterly disagree. By marrying him to his daughter he recognize him as his family. It's really silly to believe that someone will support someone else without any gain. If they have no gain they will not support him and without Dorne support no one will ever even think that FAegon is real. FAegon needs Dorne in order to prove his identity and Dorne needs the Throne in order to support him.

But Doran does gain something by supporting him: his nephew, Elia's son on the IT, and record-high Dornish influence in court, even without marrying Arianne.

And something else: Dorne might be enough for Aegon to take the IT, but it sure as hell won't be enough for keeping it. What do you think is going to happen when the North, Riverlands, and Vale shake off the control of the IT? And it is going to happen, the story is clearly moving in a way to depose the Boltons, Freys, and Littlefinger, and what's Aegon gonna do then, conquer each individual region with his insufficient Dornish army?

This is my point, Arianne seems like a good match on paper to take the IT, but you need Sansa to keep it. JonCon and Doran still haven't realized this because they're not looking at the big picture, they're focused on part 1, which is overthrowing the Lannister rule. They haven't considered what happens next, but soon enough I think they will realize they need more alliances

But Doran does gain something by supporting him: his nephew, Elia's son on the IT, and record-high Dornish influence in court, even without marrying Arianne.

Not enough. I can bet that Doran will not believe that FAegon is Elia's but will support him in order to have his daughter as his Queen.

I think its not fAegon.

Its Jon Snow that will be the Targaryen husband. Sansa was always distant from Jon and called him her bastard brother. There are some Ghost imagery in Sansa chapters. There are pomegranates in both Sansa and Jon's chapter. Sansa has a new found respect for Jon after pretending to be a bastard.

I've mentioned this before. It'd be a twist on Targaryen weddings made between brother and sister.

Archived