Malazan II

Michael Seswatha Jordan

I've tried twice to get through Gardens of the Moon, but it just hasn't grabbed me yet. On my last attempt I made it about half way through before I had to put the book down and move on to something else. I really enjoy Erickson's prose, and everybody tells me I'll fall in love with the series if I can just get through the first book, but so far it just hasn't clicked with me.

Perhaps try the audio books and see if they can get you through the first book.

I had a copy of GOTM many years ago that I accidentally left on the plane or a taxi before I finished half of it, and I didn't get around to finishing it until several years had passed. When I did finish it, it was because of the recommendation of a friend, access to the John Haag-read audio book, and links to the tor.com re-reads.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

These Tor re-reads really enhanced my enjoyment and understanding of all the books, but none more so than GOTM. Give them a try and see if they help.

I've decided to start the Malazan series. I've been grabbing the books anytime I see them at a used shop, I think I have 5 or 6 so far. Haven't found GotM yet so Im buying the ebook tonight.

Do I need to read the Esselmont books too?

You don't need to, but several major plotlines will be incomplete if you don't.

Yeah, I'd love to go back and be reading DoD for the first time. Ah, Wilbur I noticed a cameo by said keeps somewhere around 200ish pages into RotCG. Looking forward to seeing Korel in the next ICE novel.

For those who have finished the series, I have a question about the K'Chain Che'Malle...and the other elder races

how well do you think Erikson did in conveying that these beings are not human, nor interchangeable with humans when it came to writing from the perspective of these beings?

Yeah, I'd love to go back and be reading DoD for the first time. Ah, Wilbur I noticed a cameo by said keeps somewhere around 200ish pages into RotCG. Looking forward to seeing Korel in the next ICE novel.

For those who have finished the series, I have a question about the K'Chain Che'Malle...and the other elder races

how well do you think Erikson did in conveying that these beings are not human, nor interchangeable with humans when it came to writing from the perspective of these beings?

IMHO, great! He distinguished them well.

how, they thought less of humans, then through stormy and gesler they see what humans are really about. And cone to respect them. I thought it was well done.

Yeah DoD had a really great start. It caught me off guard how much cool, important shit was going on after how slow TtH was.

Wait... isn't DoD the book where the Malazans spend the first 300 pages sitting around waiting to go into the desert? :dunno:

200 or so pages into MoI and I'm thinking that this is where the series should have started, with the first two books read later as prequels. I'm enjoying it quite a bit more and there's a LOT more useful descriptions that make the 1st two books a slog IMO. Glad I stuck w/ it so far.

200 or so pages into MoI and I'm thinking that this is where the series should have started, with the first two books read later as prequels. I'm enjoying it quite a bit more and there's a LOT more useful descriptions that make the 1st two books a slog IMO. Glad I stuck w/ it so far.

I think you are right, in that the MBOTF really does hit its stride in MoI and HoC.

I felt like Erikson really came into his own as a writer in the third book, and the stories he had to tell were also engrossing, and the characters he presented were gripping.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have an interesting situation before me. I received all 6 of ICE's books for Christmas and am not sure what order to read them in after i finish the main series. Should i go to Blood and Bone after i finish tCG (as ive heard it occurs around the same time) and then to Assail? Or should i just start with NoK and continue from there?

Nok before Gardens of the Moon. Return of the Crimson Guard before reapers gale. Orb Sceptre Throne after Toll of the Hounds. Then Blood and Bone, Stoneweilder and Assail.

I might have the order of OST mixed with Blood and Bone

Ghjero's already halfway through the series so it's a moot point, but one should not start the entire series with NoK, come on.

Anyway I'd recommend just starting from NoK, because there's quite a bit of character backstory you won't get if you skip straight to the later ones.

Ghjero's already halfway through the series so it's a moot point, but one should not start the entire series with NoK, come on.

Anyway I'd recommend just starting from NoK, because there's quite a bit of character backstory you won't get if you skip straight to the later ones.

Ok thanks, i wasnt sure if his books were all connected like a regular series would be, or if each book was independent of his others and just built off of plot points started by SE's books.

Ok thanks, i wasnt sure if his books were all connected like a regular series would be, or if each book was independent of his others and just built off of plot points started by SE's books.

It's kind of a mix of both. The 5 books from RotCG through Assail sort of read like a series. But then you have OST in the middle which builds off of Toll the Hounds more than any ICE book.

It's kind of a mix of both. The 5 books from RotCG through Assail sort of read like a series. But then you have OST in the middle which builds off of Toll the Hounds more than any ICE book.

I heard that TtH spoils OST, or is it the other way around?

Archived