Malazan II

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Tore through or tore up?

I can enjoy light reading. Some others can't, but after reading Hobb for a month straight it was a breath of fresh air. And frankly, there are some things that Sanderson is better at than Erikson.

I tore through those 1,000 pages in 48 hours.

But, see, it is quite telling :)

Setting aside opinions, it should be evident that strictly in terms of plot elements a Malazan book has a lot (a lot) more than an equivalent big Sanderson book. Yet you say that the Malazan books have lots of "needless filler".

So that was my point. I'm saying that this issue is less about plot structure and more about writing style. As a reader you are more interested about the way Sanderson put things, while you feel Erikson lackluster. It's not about plot or filler or anything else. It's just about the style of writing that keeps you engaged, and the writer that is more of your taste.

You could be engaged on a scene about a bored guy looking out of a window as you could on an action packed scene.

But, see, it is quite telling :)

Setting aside opinions, it should be evident that strictly in terms of plot elements a Malazan book has a lot (a lot) more than an equivalent big Sanderson book. Yet you say that the Malazan books have lots of "needless filler".

So that was my point. I'm saying that this issue is less about plot structure and more about writing style. As a reader you are more interested about the way Sanderson put things, while you feel Erikson lackluster. It's not about plot or filler or anything else. It's just about the style of writing that keeps you engaged, and the writer that is more of your taste.

You could be engaged on a scene about a bored guy looking out of a window as you could on an action packed scene.

You gathered that from a single book that I enjoyed? Well, I didn't particularly enjoy his 2nd installment, and see that he has a lot of flaws. He's an author that I save for when I want some light reading and won't be bothered by those flaws. I also have enjoyed every single Hobb book I've read (9 in total) and enjoy the hell out of her travelogues and 100's of pages of brooding and character development. I'm also enjoying parts of MoI, despite not really liking the first two installments at all.

So I don't really think this is an issue of 'style', but some very obvious flaws in his ability to succinctly tell a story with purpose. He rambles a lot, he's not that great at describing... well anything really, and he has too many characters and plots which waters down the overall impact of what is happening. Characters die and I don't really even care, or notice. It feels like he does this things to feel more 'epic', similar to how some authors do things to make their story more 'grim' or 'dark'. You may be able to overlook these issues, just as I do with Sanderson, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It's hard to overlook these flaws when the book requires so much concentration just to understand what is going on.

Finally finished Memories of Ice. I say that because the first 700 pages were a bit of a slog, but the last 500 more than made up for it. So much so that I almost jumped right into House of Chains despite saying I will need a break from Malazan.

But I'm going to read something light in between so I'm not wrung out...

• 2 weeks later...

Took a pretty small break after Memories of Ice as it turns out, having started on House of Chains yesterday.

But I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. What a different opening 100 pages that is from the rest of the series. Fast-paced, plenty of action, but still with the classic Eriksson trademark of layers within layers. Absolutely my favourite opening to any of the books so far and feeling like I'm going to devour this one in double time if this keeps up for much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished GotM. I must say I quite enjoyed that, even though it became quite confusing at times, and a lot went unexplained. Does everything grow more familiar in the next few books? It has a really steep learning curve, something I'm not used to. Most of them time, reading things like ASOIAF or LOTR, going into it you have a general idea of the world and everything, but I did not have that with Malazan.

Just finished GotM. I must say I quite enjoyed that, even though it became quite confusing at times, and a lot went unexplained. Does everything grow more familiar in the next few books? It has a really steep learning curve, something I'm not used to. Most of them time, reading things like ASOIAF or LOTR, going into it you have a general idea of the world and everything, but I did not have that with Malazan.

Everything seems more familiar, and yet, the story grows and your always learning something new. It doesn't stay stagnant, there are some slogs, but will always pick up at some point. Its a journey, albeit a long one. Enjoy, and keep us posted.

I recommend this site for a chapter-by-chapter read through and analysis from a first-time reader, an experienced reader, and others of us who comment on their reactions.

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

Thanks for the link! And I've come to the conclusion that Anomander Rake and Tool = biggest bad asses in the novel. Wish it went into a little more depth about the characters though, but I'm a little hesitant to look on the Malazan wiki for fear of spoilers haha.

Both get significantly more screen time later, and yes I believe their wikis would be full of spoilers.

Both get significantly more screen time later, and yes I believe their wikis would be full of spoilers.

Ah, okay, thanks for the heads up. I will be looking forward to it :D

One thing I'm confused on in the series so far is the lifespans of characters. Is it based on race? Magic? I remember reading that Rake was something like 20,000 years old, but that might just be because he's a Tiste Andii. But then what about Tattersail? She's human but 200-250 years old.

About halfway through House of Chains and as far as I can tell... It's both?

Different races definitely have different life expectancy, but magic extends the natural length of that race's life. There seem to be other more passive elements at play, but I haven't figured those out yet/they haven't been revealed (to me).

If there are even more passive elements in play at all.

I didn't box that because it doesn't seem to me to be much of a spoiler, since I don't even know the answer myself.

ETA: I forgot which book I was reading but it's 1am and I've had a few so it's forgivable.

Listening to some music on youtube and randomly came across a band called Caladan Brood :D

Lyrics: A Voice Born of Stone and Dust

From the dust, assembling form Lashing out with flint and bone Matted furs, rotting hides Withered skin, black pits for eyes In ancient days we stopped the ice
We crushed the Jhag at gruesome price Now we must heed the First Sword's call His wrath is kindled, a doom must fall

Severed from death We march, we march Bound to the throne We march, we march Cursed by Tellann
We march, we march
Warriors of bone
We march

We cry to the blood-‐red sun in a voice born of stone and dust

A ritual to bind our race
In vast undeath, our severed fates
The sorcery of shamans old
To ever hunt the lords of cold We drift within the sands of wrath The wielders of the fire's path
An ancient magic
Elderbound, bloodbound, earthbound

Severed from death We march, we march Bound to the throne We march, we march Cursed by Tellann

We march, we march Warriors of bone We march

Spell of sorrow Spell of might Breath of fire Endless ice

Listening to some music on youtube and randomly came across a band called Caladan Brood :D

Well, it's not exactly Maiden, but it is pretty suitable for the T'lan Imass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv0SNi6fXoU

That's a neat find, Ancalagon.

I always thought that Birdy Nam Nam's music video for The Parachute Endings was a nifty complement for the Jade Statue plot line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHM1do5Vqw

Archived