Small Questions v.10088

Jon Weirgaryen

Robb did legitimize Jon.... he called for his bannermen to fix their seals as witnesses to his decree... aSoS chapter 54

We do not have what happened to the decree... Kind of like us knowing Joff was a bastard but seeing him crowned king.

Well, based on his conversation with Catelyn, we can be reasonably sure he legitimized Jon and disinherited Sansa.

I command you now my true and loyal lords to fix your seals to my decision--Robb aSoS BG page 66

a conversation Catelyn witnessed.....

We don't know what's in that document. Since Bran, Rickon & Arya we're presumed dead all he had to do was strip Sansa of her rights and legitimize Jon nd voila Jon will be heir assuming he's released from his vows.

A small answer to a question asked a lot (and one that bothered me until a re-read): why doesn't Tyrion ever confront Littlefinger about the knife?

From ACOK Chapter 17, Tyrion:

“That’s a handsome knife as well.”

“Is it?” There was mischief in Littlefinger’s eyes. He drew the knife and glanced at it casually, as if he had never seen it before. “Valyrian steel, and a dragonbone hilt. A trifle plain, though. It’s yours, if you would like it.”

“Mine?” Tyrion gave him a long look. “No. I think not. Never mine.” He knows, the insolent wretch. He knows and he knows that I know, and he thinks that I cannot touch him.

If ever truly a man had armored himself in gold, it was Petyr Baelish, not Jaime Lannister. Jaime’s famous armor was but gilded steel, but Littlefinger, ah . . . Tyrion had learned a few things about sweet Petyr, to his growing disquiet.

and on the next page:

But do I dare touch him? Tyrion wondered. Even if he is a traitor? He was not at all certain he could, least of all now, while the war raged. Given time, he could replace Littlefinger’s men with his own in key positions, but . . .

Part of this goes, I think, to something GRRM said about the differences between LF on the show and in the books...on the show, it's obvious to everyone that LF is a schemer. GRRM said in the books, he's a likeable guy that seems to be not high-born enough to be a real threat...

Read a post last night about the night king and what happened to the 'seed' he gave the other he fell in love with. So my question is did they have a child and if so what happened to him/her?

That is, unfortunately, unknown.

The Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch (a Stark), who fell in love with a woman whose description matches the description of the Others. It is said that when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well.

The Night's King installed himself at Nightfort and declared himself a King, with the woman as his Queen. They ruled for 13 years. During the dark years of his reign, horrific atrocities were committed, of which tales are still told in the North. It was not until his own brother, the King in the North, and Joramun,the King beyond the Wall, joined forces that the Night's King was brought down and the Night's Watch freed. After his fall, when it was discovered that he had been making sacrifices to the Others, and after his fall all records of him were destroyed and his very name was forbidden and forgotten.

It's suggested on Awoiaf that the night king may have been a Bolton do you know if this was a quote or where it was from?

I'm wondering if this seed/child from the nights king could have been the founder of house Bolton.(I know this is not a small question)

It's suggested on Awoiaf that the night king may have been a Bolton do you know if this was a quote or where it was from?

In Bran IV, aStorm of Swords, when he, Meera and Jojen are in the Nightfort, he recalls this:

Some say he was a Bolton,” Old Nan would always end. “Some say a Magnar out of Skagos, some say Umber, Flint, or Norrey. Some would have you think he was a Woodfoot, from them who ruled Bear Island before the ironmen came. He never was. He was a Stark, the brother of the man who brought him down.” She always pinched Bran on the nose then, he would never forget it. “He was a Stark of Winterfell, and who can say? Mayhaps his name was Brandon. Mayhaps he slept in this very bed in this very room.

So as the story tells it, he was a Stark

We don't know what's in that document. Since Bran, Rickon & Arya we're presumed dead all he had to do was strip Sansa of her rights and legitimize Jon nd voila Jon will be heir assuming he's released from his vows.

We don't know what's in that document.

"...Jon is the only brother that remains to me. Should I die without issue, I want him to succeed me as King of the North. I had hoped you would support my choice"

"I cannot ," she said. "In all else, Robb. In everything. But not in this... This is folly. Don't ask it."

"I don't have to. I am the king." Robb turned away and walked off..--aSoS BG page 59

"...Lord Balon left chaos in his wake, we hope. I do not intend to do the same. Yet I have no son as yet, my brothers Bran and Rickon are dead, and my sister is wed to a Lannister. I have thought long and hard about who might follow me. I command you now my true and loyal lords to fix your seals as witnesses to my decision"

A king indeed, Catelyn thought, defeated.--aSoS BG page 66

Since Bran, Rickon & Arya we're presumed dead all he had to do was strip Sansa of her rights

To her (Sansa) and to her lord husband Tyrion Lannister. I cannot allow that. That dwarf must never have the north,--Robb aSoS BG page 58.

and legitimize Jon

"a bastard cannot inherit."--Catelyn

"Not unless he's legitimized by royal decree, said Robb. aSoS BG page 58

and voila Jon will be heir assuming he's released from his vows.

"...Those that take the black serve for life."--Catelyn

So do knights of the kingsguard... If I send the Watch a hundred men in Jon's place, I'll wager they find some way to release him from his vows."--Robb aSoS BG page 58

Archived