Michael Brown shooting and civil unrest Goes Forth

Lord Flashheart

So society killed Michael Brown... Wait I thought that was Darren Wilson? Make up your mind... So one man is no longer the culprit, it's all white people... You guys are starting to sound.... well, racist really

Super weak troll attempt.

2/10

Maybe this is where our disagreement comes in. If they were protesting racism in society then a ball game is as good as anywhere else to do that, I suppose. However if you watch the clip they are chanting about Micheal Brown. It seems pretty clear this was a protest about that. That is where my super controversial statement about protesting the actual people you are protesting, rather than just protesting random things.

So you can't use an example of institutionalized racism while protesting it? Doesn't that seem a bit absurd to you?

Maybe this is where our disagreement comes in. If they were protesting racism in society then a ball game is as good as anywhere else to do that, I suppose. However if you watch the clip they are chanting about Micheal Brown. It seems pretty clear this was a protest about that. That is where my super controversial statement about protesting the actual people you are protesting, rather than just protesting random things.

People can protest about more than one thing you know, especially when there as connected as those two issues are.

If that's the case, why not take the protest to, you know, the police department. Where it was initially.... And no facts I see, way to back up your position there. You're so credible

Credibility? LOL. Troll harder.

If I claimed all black people are responsible for the officer that was shot in Ferguson, you guys would call me racist! What's the difference... Black people can't be racist? BTW, I never said that all black people were responsible. Just hypothetical.

The difference is that nobody every claimed all white people are responsible. Nice strawman though, fits your debate style perfectly.

The difference is that nobody every claimed all white people are responsible. Nice strawman though, fits your debate style perfectly.

Haha, then what do mean by institutionalized racism? Common on, now your just contradicting yourself.... All the chants were about Michael Brown and that case. Your losing here, and you can feel it

So society killed Michael Brown... Wait I thought that was Darren Wilson? Make up your mind... So one man is no longer the culprit, it's all white people... You guys are starting to sound.... well, racist really

No. And I love, love when muppets attempt to say "you see a racial influence on something!! RACIST!" Its the flimsiest fucking defense ever.

1. Darren Wilson killed Michael Brown. Whether he did so legally is still up for debate by the courts. I, however, have no problems stating that it appears that Brown died unjustly

2. There is an apparent discrepancy in how often officers shoot black members of our society compared to other races/ethnicities.

3. There is an apparent discrepancy in how often the legal system charges and investigates officers who shoot black members of our society compared to other races/ethnicities.

4. Related to the above, there are legitimate doubts that the legal system is even set up to allow a proper investigation based on a symbiotic relationship between DAs and PDs. While a problem for everyone, such a failure would fall disproportionately on those who are more frequently injured by the police.

5. There is an apparent discrepancy in how the media portrays members of our society who have been killed by police officers.

6. There is an apparent discrepancy in how the public responds to members of our society being killed by police officers.

Do you see how protesting points 1 and 2 are just about the only points that could be said to be "protesting the police"? 3 would possibly involve protesting in front of a court room, I suppose. And that the rest are basically saying "hey dipshits, racism still exists as much as you'd like to pat yourself on the back and say it isn't?"

edit: Fucking christ, its almost like the entire time, the people of Ferguson haven't been focusing on the police brutality aspect. They've been focusing on the system that allows black teens to be shot without any review by or recourse to the systems that are supposed to prevent that. Its only the add-on supporters that were all about police brutality. Darkly amusingly, that was the narrative run with by the media as well.

So you can't use an example of institutionalized racism while protesting it? Doesn't that seem a bit absurd to you?

I feel like we are playing a guessing game at this point. Something tells me that if you would have asked those protesters on the way to the ball game "What are you going to protest?" they would have responded "Micheal Brown's killing". When they got the response they got it turned into something bigger, but I don't think that was the intention. I could be wrong.

Why the protesters were at the baseball game, from their perspective:

Eric Vickers, a state senate staffer who has led various acts of civil unrest in St. Louis, has sent a letter to Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig asking for the league to pressure St. Louis officials in the unarmed shooting death of Michael Brown.

"I wish I could communicate to you an upbeat message of fun and joy as many parts of the St. Louis community now rightfully feel with our beloved Red Birds headed back into the playoffs and undoubtedly the Series," Vickers wrote. "However, all is not joy in Cardinal Nation, as you most certainly must be aware, because of the shooting of Michael Brown, and the deep seeded feeling of enough is enough in the black community it has unearthed."

In an interview, Vickers said Major League Baseball has a role to play in the Ferguson situation.

"They are coming into the midst of this controversy," Vickers said. "They need to influence the business community."

Vickers said protesters plan to purchase MetroLink tickets and take up all of the available seating on trains running to and from Busch Stadium during any local playoff games.

"They have been completely silent on this," Vickers said. "They are an economic enterprise. They are a business. They are going to make millions of dollars. The business community has to be responsible."

The protesters are annoying fans with a pointless message. The fans chant Darren Wilson to annoy the protesters. That's not racist, that's two groups of people trying to get the best of one another. Keep trying if you'd like though, it's pretty amusing

I can't tell if you're missing the point on purpose or simply aren't intelligent enough to parse it.

I feel like we are playing a guessing game at this point. Something tells me that if you would have asked those protesters on the way to the ball game "What are you going to protest?" they would have responded "Micheal Brown's killing". When they got the response they got it turned into something bigger, but I don't think that was the intention. I could be wrong.

You seem to think that Michael Brown's killing happened in a vacuum. Merentha's post above yours puts it in context with the very long and rich history of the criminalization and de-valuing of the lives of young black males in America.

Crap link as well as crap thoughts! Points. I know what ace meant by institutionalized racism. White people are racist. Hell, every other post in this thread is saying the same thing. That's a racist. You people should be ashamed. In all your attempts to fight racism, you people have been spewing racist garbage the whole thread. Liberals....

Archived