Michael Brown shooting and civil unrest Goes Forth

Lord Flashheart

No, see, that's a hugely false equivalency.

Stating that people are racist who might not be is not equivalent to police shooting people dead. Stating that people are racist is not equivalent to invading people's homes because they live there. It would only be equivalent if you were saying that you were racist AND THEN SHOT THEM IN THE FACE FOR IT.

Escalation of the problem is also not an actual fault. Civil Rights were the result of escalation of several problems. Here's the deal, tptwptpwpt: escalation of problems is the only way for problems to actually be addressed. Your solution would be to simply ignore them and have them disappear. Which apparently is what you're claiming is the case anyway, since you seem to believe that racism doesn't exist in any way, shape or form - so I guess you're consistent in your wrongness.

This is a very typical tactic that is bullshit wherever it goes. Someone does something wrong. Someone else gets outraged at the wrong, causing people to be mad at each other. The person who is outraged gets blamed for making the problem stick around or escalating it. That's really just not how the world works, not how it should work, not how the law works, not how anything works.

I'm going to profile you and guess that you're in favor of gun rights and the right to self defense with a gun. By your logic, anyone who defends themselves is equally at fault for anything that happens. They escalated! They could have just not engaged, but they chose not to. I'm curious how you can oppose that view while still believing that people who call others racist are as culpable as racists.

Pretty sure I never said racism doesn't exist. Can you quote that? While your at it, find me some proof that Wilson is racist? That he killed Michael Brown out of pure hatred of black people? Let me know if you have trouble with any of those

Fucking hell, big boys? So that would give you what a 6th grade grasp on the history of civil rights? Seems about right given what we've seen.

Stop "taking" the piss and address the issues TGU raised.

I've addressed every issue he raised. I also gave him a little homework. If you'd stop foaming at the mouth and start reading you would know that. Like I said son, the big boys

*cough*

My contention is that, because of historical injustices such as slavery, redlining and Jim Crow, black Americans are statistically more likely than white Americans to be poor, have poorer educational opportunities, be the victim of state-sponsored violence, be unemployed and be caught up in some phase of the criminal justice system. Now, you're contention is that not only am I wrong, but that my stance on the matter is racist.

So, educate me. If I'm wrong (and racist to boot) then explain to me why numerous statistical studies bear out the fact that black Americans definitely do experience worse opportunities compared to whites. Put your fucking money where your mouth is instead of pulling this mealy-mouthed bullshit about how I'm the real racist.

You dodged addressing any of it, choosing to respond with:

Well it is a pretty racist contention, but it fits your narrative so....

Totes "big boy" stuff bro.

Sure... attack someone's intelligence when you can't attack the message. Classic liberal procedure. It seems there are plenty of ignorant people around here, just not me! Sorry you didn't like what I had to say...

I didn't attack your intelligence, I said you are ignorant about this issue. Ignorance has nothing to do with intelligence, it's a lack of knowledge. Again I suggest you educate yourself about racism and related issues before you post again in this topic.

An off duty St. Louis cop shot and killed an 18 year old after the suspect fired three shots at him. The shooting has sparked additional protests:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/off-duty-st-louis-cop-kills-man-sparking-protest/ar-BB8fYZs

From the article:

ST. LOUIS (AP) — An off-duty St. Louis police officer shot and killed an 18-year-old black man who had fired at him, authorities said Thursday, hours after people took to the streets to protest the killing, which some likened to the August police killing of an unarmed black man in nearby Ferguson.

St. Louis Police Chief Col. Sam Dotson said the 32-year-old officer, whom he didn't identify, was patrolling the historic Shaw neighborhood in uniform for a private security company at around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday when he saw three males and one of them ran off before stopping.

When the officer did a U-turn, all three ran, so the officer gave chase, first in his car and then by foot. During the chase, he got into an altercation with the one he eventually killed, Dotson said at an early-morning news conference.

Dotson said the 18-year-old man, whom he didn't identify, opened fired on the officer, who returned fire and killed the man. Ballistic evidence shows that the teen fired three shots and tried to fire again but his gun jammed, he said, noting that the gun was recovered.

The officer, a six-year veteran of the St. Louis police force, fired off 17 rounds. Dotson said he didn't know how many of those bullets struck the suspect, or why the officer, who wasn't hurt, fired that many shots.

TGU,

If the MSNBC report didn't say forensics indicate the victim had discharged a firearm at the officer three times when the weapon jammed I'd give the eyewitness reports more credence. As is it seems they have the weapon used by the victim in hand. That or the MSNBC report is full of crap.

TGU,

If the MSNBC report didn't say forensics indicate the victim had discharged a firearm at the officer three times when the weapon jammed I'd give the eyewitness reports more credence. As is it seems they have the weapon used by the victim in hand. That or the MSNBC report is full of crap.

I think this is a wait and see situation at this point, but, to be clear, the report didn't say forensics indicated the victim had fired the gun, but that the police chief claimed ballistics proved the gun had been fired three times. Not an insignificant difference. Still, wait and see for now, imo.

I'm to the point where, when a police shooting happens, I'm automatically skeptical of any claims made by a spokesperson for the police.

Police spokespeople should be treated like they essentially are: PR agents that will always try to make their side look justified and right, or at the very least try to avoid a PR disaster for them, regardless of how disastrous the truth really is.

No more, no less.

Forensic evidence seems to support officer's Wilson side of story - that he was attacked by M. Brown, who reached for his gun. Contrary to some other people's testimonies the gun was fired twice already inside the car, one shot hit Brown to the arm, other missed. Brown's blood was found inside the car and on the gun and on Wilson's uniform.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/18/us/ferguson-case-officer-is-said-to-cite-struggle.html?_r=0

Archived