The First Law by Joe Abercrombie Vx (spoilers through LAOK for now)

Pilusmagnus

So about 15 years between the beginning of the first trilogy and Red Country. What about BSC and Heroes in relation? Heroes seems to be about 10 years after the first trilogy, right? Although Calder "feels" a little younger than 31 (I'd have said mid-late 20s) it is well within the frame. I guess dan Gorst is a few years older than Jezal (who is 24? at the beginning), so he could be about 27 or so and correspondingly mid-late 30s in Heroes (which fits well).

I had not remembered that Glokta is so young, but of course that is part of the point that he feels much older because of his injuries.

I wanted ot take my casting crack ITT mostly because people have ages all over the place on here and seem to cast "this guy from 15 years ago"

Sand Dan Glokta: Sharlto Copley
Jezal Dan Luthar: Liam Hemsworth
Logen Ninefingers: Ray Stevenson
Bayaz:Christopher Guest

Guy Logan thinks is Bayaz at first - Ian McKellen

Collem West: Jack Huston(Richard Harrow Boardwalk Empire)

Ardee West: Aubrey Plaza
Ferro Maljinn: Vicky Jeudy(Orange is the New Black)

King Bethod: Brendan Gleeson

Rudd Threetrees: Sean Bean Dies in Everything
The Dogman: Kevin McKidd(dat HBO Rome Reunion)
Black Dow: Burn Gorman
Tul Thunderhead: Dolph Lundgren
Harding Grimm: Jerome Flynn
Caul Shivers: Adam Driver(Girls)

Arch Lector Sult: Patrick Stewart
Marshall Burr: Ron Donachie
Practical Frost: Joe Gatt
Practical Severad: Russel Brand
Brother Longfoot: Kevin Hart
Salem Rewes / Pike: Doug Jones

Hah, so much still ahead of you then. I'm just finishing Red Country and I'm already missing these characters. Never thought I'd invest so much in them at the beginning of the trilogy. Joe, so when exactly are you going to start writing the second trilogy, you were saying? ;)

Joe, so when exactly are you going to start writing the second trilogy, you were saying? ;)

Half the World - published Feb 2015 (definite)

Half a War - published July 2015 (likely)

First Law Short Story collection - published early 2016 (probably)

I may have some other commitments next year, we'll see. There's a lot of thinking and planning to do for another trilogy, and I'd like to rough out the whole thing before polishing and publishing the first book, which'll mean a longer wait for the first book but hopefully a better and more coherent result and shorter waits in between books. We'll see how things pan out. But no way you'll see the first book of the trilogy before 2017, and quite possibly longer.

Hah, so much still ahead of you then. I'm just finishing Red Country and I'm already missing these characters. Never thought I'd invest so much in them at the beginning of the trilogy. Joe, so when exactly are you going to start writing the second trilogy, you were saying? ;)

As soon as I picked these books up I was engrossed in them. I love characters, the pace, the prose, its just so easy to read and I don't wanna put em down. I don't know if its the fact that I spent so long on Malazan. And the struggles of some of the books. Its just a breath of fresh air.

Half the World - published Feb 2015 (definite)

Half a War - published July 2015 (likely)

First Law Short Story collection - published early 2016 (probably)

I may have some other commitments next year, we'll see. There's a lot of thinking and planning to do for another trilogy, and I'd like to rough out the whole thing before polishing and publishing the first book, which'll mean a longer wait for the first book but hopefully a better and more coherent result and shorter waits in between books. We'll see how things pan out. But no way you'll see the first book of the trilogy before 2017, and quite possibly longer.

I really enjoyed Half a King. I've got a lot to look forward to for the rest of the decade. I'm particularly anticipating the short stories.

I'm starting Best Served Cold now. I have a little more trouble getting into it than the trilogy. It's maybe that the characters are less likeable at first sight and their POV are too similar. But I'm sure it'll change.

It takes a little while to get going. But the way the characters deal with their experiences is the best thing about the book, and naturally that takes time.

I wanted ot take my casting crack ITT mostly because people have ages all over the place on here and seem to cast "this guy from 15 years ago"

Sand Dan Glokta: Sharlto Copley

Jezal Dan Luthar: Liam Hemsworth

Logen Ninefingers: Ray Stevenson

Bayaz:Christopher Guest

Guy Logan thinks is Bayaz at first - Ian McKellen

Collem West: Jack Huston(Richard Harrow Boardwalk Empire)

Ardee West: Aubrey Plaza

Ferro Maljinn: Vicky Jeudy(Orange is the New Black)

King Bethod: Brendan Gleeson

Rudd Threetrees: Sean Bean Dies in Everything

The Dogman: Kevin McKidd(dat HBO Rome Reunion)

Black Dow: Burn Gorman

Tul Thunderhead: Dolph Lundgren

Harding Grimm: Jerome Flynn

Caul Shivers: Adam Driver(Girls)

Arch Lector Sult: Patrick Stewart

Marshall Burr: Ron Donachie

Practical Frost: Joe Gatt

Practical Severad: Russel Brand

Brother Longfoot: Kevin Hart

Salem Rewes / Pike: Doug Jones

I like it really much, but the overall cast is too young and too american IMO. Fantasy is traditionnally shot with British accents. But nice job about finding appropriate faces for each of the characters. The only ones I have a little trouble with are Liam Hemsworth, (too heavy for thin Jezal) Christopher Guest (too young) Burn Gorman (I picture a stronger guy) and Jack Huston but that's because Ewan McGregor is fucking West ^^

I really love the whole Inquisition cast however!

Archived