NFL 2014 Week 2 - They are what we thought they were

Howdyphillip

That article reeeeeeeaaally doesn't do Adrian any favors:

Peterson said he knew that his son had a doctor’s appointment scheduled for when he returned home and that the doctor would discover the injuries. Peterson added that if he felt like he was “really wrong for what I did, or had any ill intent, there’s no way I would have let him get on that plane.” He went on to say, “I have nothing to hide, but I also understand when a child has marks like that on his leg, they have to report that.”

When Peterson was asked how he felt about the incident, he said, “To be honest with you, I feel very confident with my actions because I know my intent.” He also described the incident as a “normal whooping” in regards to the “welps” on the child’s buttocks, but that he felt bad immediately when he saw the injuries on the child’s legs. Peterson estimated he “swatted” his son “10 to 15” times, but he’s not sure because he doesn’t “ever count how many pops I give my kids.”

Listening to ESPN radio, its almost disgusting to hear all the people calling in justifying this as just a normal way of disciplining children. I sincerely hope they have not actually seen the pictures, because they do not leave much to the imagination. In my opinion, the wounds displayed in the pictures certainly raise above the level of discipline and reach the level of abuse. Particularly when you realize that the "whooping" took place in Houston and then the child's mother took him to a doctor in Minnesota, so they are far from fresh.

Listening to ESPN radio, its almost disgusting to hear all the people calling in justifying this as just a normal way of disciplining children. I sincerely hope they have not actually seen the pictures, because they do not leave much to the imagination. In my opinion, the wounds displayed in the pictures certainly raise above the level of discipline and reach the level of abuse. Particularly when you realize that the "whooping" took place in Houston and then the child's mother took him to a doctor in Minnesota, so they are far from fresh.

Yeah, I heard idiot sports talk radio callers on my drive home today defending this as legitimate punishment.

When I was growing up, whipping kids with a switch (or a belt, etc.) was certainly more accepted than it is today. My parents left more than a few marks on me in their time (which, to their credit, they've since apologized for). It wasn't right then, and it isn't now.

Yeah, I wasn't sure until I saw the pictures, which supposedly were taken a week after the incident. He whipped his 4 year old son so hard that it left bruising and scabbing that was clearly visible a week later. The whipping broke skin all over. That's way beyond a spanking. I'm having a hard time seeing how Peterson avoids jail time. As for his NFL career, he deserves at least a suspension as long as Ray Rice.

The details get worse and worse.

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

In further text messages, Peterson allegedly said, “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”

What is a switch, exactly?

Tree branch.

As Jace says, its usually worst when your parents make you cut your own branch. Last walk of the condemned and all that. My parents never used one, but I have plenty of friends whose parents did.

What is a switch, exactly?

In my experience, the tail end of a branch from a green tree or bush, 18-24 inches or so in length, stripped of its leaves.

So it's entire function is for abuse?

"Discipline."

I used to get the switch for saying a swear word, or talking back, etc.

As you can tell, the punishment really fucking served its purpose.

Tree branch.As Jace says, its usually worst when your parents make you cut your own branch. Last walk of the condemned and all that. My parents never used one, but I have plenty of friends whose parents did.

Well, I was spanked. I went to a British-type boarding school where we got specific amounts of 'swats' per offense. I actually set the record for swats in a day, capped off when I was talking about it after light's out. They had specifically made 'swat sticks'. One teacher had his carved and called 'deathstroker' but honestly it was funny at the time.

Anyways, I don't feel traumatized, exactly, but I know I will never do that to my children...or if I did equate it with a frightening loss of contro. I don't judge my mother for it, but if know I'd never go there.

Well, I was spanked. I went to a British-type boarding school where we got specific amounts of 'swats' per offense. I actually set the record for swats in a day, capped off when I was talking about it after light's out.

Anyways, I don't feel traumatized, exactly, but I know I will never do that to my children...or if I did equate it with a frightening loss of contro. I don't judge my mother for it, but if know I'd never go there.

I don't have a big problem with spanking. I do have a big problem with whipping that leaves extensive bruising and numerous open cuts. That's not spanking to me.

I had to do the walk of shame and cut my own switch a few times when younger. It was a very rare thing and only when I did something very bad (can't think of something as an example right off hand though). My parents never left a mark on me.

When I first saw the story I immediately thought an over reaction to a parent using discipline on his child.

Then I saw 2 things:

1. It was a four year old. I just don't see anything a four year old could do that would make me agree to any spanking, much less 10-15 times with a switch.

2. Pictures. The fact that those photos are a week old is even more sickening.

This is the perfect example of corporal punishment taken to the extreme and moving well into the realm of child abuse. It is disgusting.

I'm all for letting parents parent their kids and not interfering, but this leads into safety concerns for the child. Mr. Peterson needs to be punished hard for this. A fucking 4 year old for christ sake.

Also, this is much worse, IMO, than what Ray Rice did (even though that was horrible as well) and the NFL should treat it as such.

Archived