NFL 2014 Week 2 - They are what we thought they were

Howdyphillip

Pretty nice set up for a protest tomorrow seeing as how the Thursday Night game is in Baltimore. Not that I think anything notable is likely to happen.

I'd be pretty stunned if anything happened. People will probably tell themselves they paid too much money to not show up - assuming there would be a notable number of ticket holders who even give a shit enough to have some doubt about whether they should go.

Okay, is it just my pessimism or am I alone in thinking that if Ray Rice were to be introduced at the game tonight, the crowd would give him a standing ovation?

That's not a comment on Baltimore specifically, but rather on the subsect of humanity as a whole that identify as NFL fans.

"Independent". Overseen by two owners. Funny definition that.

And the law firm conducting the investigation has previously represented the NFL. What a load of shit. I am curious if the NFL will waive attorney client/work product privileges as part of this "independent" investigation.

The more I think about that last bit the more angry I get. What the hell is there to investigate? There is like zero plausible deniability at this point. What a farking dog and pony show.

I'm a bit confused on the call for criminal charges. His wife did not press charges (lord only knows why not). Is anyone in here studied in law to give me some clarity. If the victim does not press charges is there a way to still build a case against Rice?

I'm a bit confused on the call for criminal charges. His wife did not press charges (lord only knows why not). Is anyone in here studied in law to give me some clarity. If the victim does not press charges is there a way to still build a case against Rice?

Yes. The video would have been enough to convict. The victim's cooperation is not required to prosecute. For minor things, if the victim doesn't want to go forward they likely won't pursue the issue, though. And for crimes where the victim is the primary witness, it can be impossible to go forward. This happens in sexual assault cases all the time, where whatever happeened was behind closed doors with no other witnesses. For this, though, there was high quality video showing exactly waht happened.

Okay, is it just my pessimism or am I alone in thinking that if Ray Rice were to be introduced at the game tonight, the crowd would give him a standing ovation?

That's not a comment on Baltimore specifically, but rather on the subsect of humanity as a whole that identify as NFL fans.

Sadly enough, I'm sure you're right.

I don't think he would.

It's so hard to get a read on NFL fans at large when most of my interaction comes on this forum. Hell, even here we had that numb nuts show up earlier this year talking Rothlesberger and make the comment "everyone wants to fuck the champ."

I just think that there are likely more of that guy around than there are of the rest of us, but we don't interact with them.

Yes. The video would have been enough to convict. The victim's cooperation is not required to prosecute. For minor things, if the victim doesn't want to go forward they likely won't pursue the issue, though. And for crimes where the victim is the primary witness, it can be impossible to go forward. This happens in sexual assault cases all the time, where whatever happeened was behind closed doors with no other witnesses. For this, though, there was high quality video showing exactly waht happened.

Thanks sperry.

Rice apparently entered a program for 1st time offenders where he has to take some course and keep a clean sheet for some amount of time in order to not get charged now. They still have the option if he fails to follow the rules.

It's so hard to get a read on NFL fans at large when most of my interaction comes on this forum. Hell, even here we had that numb nuts show up earlier this year talking Rothlesberger and make the comment "everyone wants to fuck the champ."

I just think that there are likely more of that guy around than there are of the rest of us, but we don't interact with them.

The NFL has a very, very stupid fanbase as a whole. Unlike college sports, there's no "went to this college" self-selection bias (although even that's not perfect, as plenty of people are just fans of their state's flagship school).

The NFL has a very, very stupid fanbase as a whole. Unlike college sports, there's no "went to this college" self-selection bias (although even that's not perfect, as plenty of people are just fans of their state's flagship school).

I think that college football fans are marginally at best more educated than NFL fans. In places where there is no pro team, the college team just fills the gap. Not coincidentally, those places often have the most rabid fanbases (Kentucky, West Virginia, Alabama, Nebraska).

Oh man, thanks for this, I needed a good laugh.

Yes the average Alabama fan is a mensa member compared to the average Falcon fan living in Atlanta.

Rice apparently entered a program for 1st time offenders where he has to take some course and keep a clean sheet for some amount of time in order to not get charged now. They still have the option if he fails to follow the rules.

This. He was offered diversion for punching his fiancé out. Christ.

Archived