NFL 2014 Week 2 - They are what we thought they were

Howdyphillip

Have you noticed how everything Roger Goodell says or does seems to make things worse? He's now calling the original videotape of Ray Rice dragging his unconscious fiancee out of the elevator by her hair "ambiguous".

Goodell and his PR team are doing a very poor job. Some of the missteps they have made have been incredibly tone deaf and poorly thought out. It stands in stark contrast to how well the NBA handled the Sterling issue.

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m

BREAKING: AP Source: Law enforcement official sent copy of Ray Rice tape to NFL executive in April

I continue to hope this scandal can somehow clean house at the league office, starting with Goodell. But like I said, I doubt it.

Have you noticed how everything Roger Goodell says or does seems to make things worse? He's now calling the original videotape of Ray Rice dragging his unconscious fiancee out of the elevator by her hair "ambiguous".

At what point do we come to the conclusion that more than anything the man is just incompetent? A loyal and superficially impressive appearing stooge of the owners that is undone by his inability to think through issues critically. Paul Tagliabue has had to come back once already and clean up his irrationally assessed penalties during Bounty Gate. Infact whenever it's entirely in Goodell's purview to assess penalties they seem to be determined without logic or any forethought to the possible public fallout. And more than that he's as out of touch as the worst of the owners.

His primary job, in his own words is to "protect the brand" but has anyone done more harm? Not even Rice, Rothlisberger, Snyder or Vick can touch him. This is the highest-paid non owner in professional sports and he's becfoming radioactive. He's the single biggest reason for the growing ranks of people who love football but hate the NFL. Increasingly I feel he's like GWB - a man thrust into a very tough spot in terms of having to deal with disturbing controversy after controversy and somehow has only made things worse.

His achievements in terrible decision-making and "worst of all worlds" judgments are pretty mind-boggling. Let's all remember that Roger Goodell was paid $44 million last year to stumble from fuckup to fuckup.

Chris Mortensen just reported that a voicemail turned up where a woman states 'yes we got the video and it is terrible,' back from April.

Yeah, he was one of the reporters that got thrown under the bus by the NFL. Good for him pushing back against their lies.

His achievements in terrible decision-making and "worst of all worlds" judgments are pretty mind-boggling. Let's all remember that Roger Goodell was paid $44 million last year to stumble from fuckup to fuckup.

Yes, but Goodell has a very hard job. He is the public face of a league that is wildly popular and which seems to be totally bulletproof when dealing with controversy. And he has to handle tough questions like "is domestic violence bad?" I'm sure the owners will stand behind him with an enthusiastic, "you're doing a heck of a job, Goodie".

I think that Caesar is falling, and it can not come too soon for me. I have almost universally disagreed with every big decision that he has made. Someone upthread said that he would not be removed unless it started hitting the owner's pocketbooks. This Ray Rice incident will certainly do so. I don't see how he comes out of this without the collective knives of the NFL owners in his back.

I think that Caesar is falling, and it can not come too soon for me. I have almost universally disagreed with every big decision that he has made. Someone upthread said that he would not be removed unless it started hitting the owner's pocketbooks. This Ray Rice incident will certainly do so. I don't see how he comes out of this without the collective knives of the NFL owners in his back.

Agreed. In light of this proof regarding the tape, I have to imagine he's done. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Chris Mortensen just reported that a voicemail turned up where a woman from the NFL states 'yes we got the video and it is terrible,' back from April.

Umm....what I saw, was more like, "yes we got IT and it is terrible." Not the word video. I have no idea what the rest of the conversation is so maybe it is obvious that IT means video.

EDIT: Just heard it again on ESPN and the quote from the voicemail is that the NFL exec said "you're right, it's terrible."

Umm....what I saw, was more like, "yes we got IT and it is terrible." Not the word video. I have no idea what the rest of the conversation is so maybe it is obvious that IT means video.

That was a confirmation call about the video. Law enforcement called and asked if they got the video and a female voice responded "Yes we got It and it is terrible."

What were you thinking it means in this context?

Right on cue, John Mara, Robert Kraft, Jerry Richardson and Jerry Jones have all given Goodell the predictable vote of confidence.

Just waiting on Danny Snyder weighing in with "WE'RE NEVER CHANGING COMMISSIONERS, EVER!!!"

That was a confirmation call about the video. Law enforcement called and asked if they got the video and a female voice responded "Yes we got It and it is terrible."

What were you thinking it means in this context?

The anonymous guy? I didn't think that Law enforcement was allowed to send them evidence?

All I am saying is that those words do not mean a whole lot on their own. TBH that could be referring to the first video.

What I don't get, is why the video changes everything. I didn't think that anyone was unsure of what happened in the elevator before the video. I thought they essentially admitted that he hit her hard enough to fucken knock her out. Why did you need this video to realize how horrible what happened was? Were they denying that he hit her before? I never got that impression from their press conference.

Right on cue, John Mara, Robert Kraft, Jerry Richardson and Jerry Jones have all given Goodell the predictable vote of confidence.

Just waiting on Danny Snyder weighing in with "WE'RE NEVER CHANGING COMMISSIONERS, EVER!!!"

To what end? The owners won't stop making money hand over fist if Godell is gone.

Though who steps in? Uncle Bud is available in a couple months...

Usually when an owner gives someone a public vote of confidence, that someone should probably update his resume.

EDIT: Just heard it again on ESPN and the quote from the voicemail is that the NFL exec said "you're right, it's terrible."

Yeah that's why I paraphrased.

Yes, but Goodell has a very hard job. He is the public face of a league that is wildly popular and which seems to be totally bulletproof when dealing with controversy. And he has to handle tough questions like "is domestic violence bad?" I'm sure the owners will stand behind him with an enthusiastic, "you're doing a heck of a job, Goodie".

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/sarcasmgif_zpsa93ad9c1.gif.html

Archived