The Collective DCU TVerse -- Lions, Titans, and Supergirls

Bastard of Boston

So you guys weren't lying huh, you really have stopped watching? DC threads aren't what they were are they? :)  

I watched the first two Supergirls, thought they were good but now it's back to being a chore again. I was gonna hold out till the crossover but may up end up giving up before then. Flash is probably better than S2 so far but still a bit rough round the edges. Arrow is dull, dull, dull. And my surprise new favourite is.......Legends. They've dumped the stupid Egyptian stuff, and it's actually quite fun at the moment. I mean, Confederate Zombies. Can't go wrong there. I'm not sure why Rip's not in it anymore, but it's still leaps and bounds ahead of the first season.

(I'd personally say it makes sense to throw all 4 show discussions in here since it's slowed to a trickle, but whatevs.)

Eh I'm kind of plodding along, not rushing to see any of the episodes. Haven't seen the last two legends. I'm enjoying Arrow much more than I have for a while, I hated the first episode, whereas most saw it as a return to form. I must have been in a bad mood. And hey Dolph Lundgren is going to appear in it.

Supergirl is still my favourite of them, it's also the most independent of the others right now.

Oh yeah, I am done.  The promos that I see for them during the CW shows (Supernatural and Frequency) that I do watch have done nothing to make me regret my decision.  Maybe if they get really good reviews I'll watch them next summer on Netflix, but what I've read in the Flash thread doesn't make me think that that will happen.

I watched the first 10 min of the Legends premiere and gave up. I am ready to give up on The Flash - the whole lets get a new Harrison Wells was ridiculous even for a show full of ridiculous plots and ideas. Arrow was dull at first, the flashbacks continue to suck, but it's become better. Supergirl is mostly just fun.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I watched the first 10 min of the Legends premiere and gave up. I am ready to give up on The Flash - the whole lets get a new Harrison Wells was ridiculous even for a show full of ridiculous plots and ideas. Arrow was dull at first, the flashbacks continue to suck, but it's become better. Supergirl is mostly just fun.

The third and fourth Legends episodes were a big step up for me, they just stick to one plot and one period and it works so much better I think. I'm not sure why they always used to cram 5 episodes worth of plot into one.

I couldn't make my mind up about how easily they replaced Harrison Wells, on the one hand it is terrible writing.....but weirdly, by the rules they've established, it makes the most sense. The only trouble is they should now be Multi-Wells-Sourcing every problem they have. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

But it's so in character. this is what they do, they just fuck with reality. With no regard for consequences, bear in mind this is hot on the heels of the revelation that Barry has fucked up time.

19 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

So you guys weren't lying huh, you really have stopped watching? DC threads aren't what they were are they? :)  

I watched the first two Supergirls, thought they were good but now it's back to being a chore again. I was gonna hold out till the crossover but may up end up giving up before then. Flash is probably better than S2 so far but still a bit rough round the edges. Arrow is dull, dull, dull. And my surprise new favourite is.......Legends. They've dumped the stupid Egyptian stuff, and it's actually quite fun at the moment. I mean, Confederate Zombies. Can't go wrong there. I'm not sure why Rip's not in it anymore, but it's still leaps and bounds ahead of the first season.

(I'd personally say it makes sense to throw all 4 show discussions in here since it's slowed to a trickle, but whatevs.)

My sons (twnis, age 13) are still most into Flash, waiting for the Wally storyline to play out. No one likes the new Wells.

We gave Supergirl a shot, but it only was one episode, no sale. Arrow got a couple episodes, also no sale. We will watch all four in the crossover, because comics.

We enjoy Legends, and I agree with you, it is much better than S1. Much as I like Vandal Savage as a comic book villain, casting a short-ish guy with a tenor voice was just bad. No menace. If they'd found a middle eastern or central Asian version of Neal McDonough, they would have had a more compelling villain. If they'd left him as a 50,000 year old immortal cave-man, it would have been even better, they could have done that and still had him meet the Hawks in Egypt.

I do not miss Rip Hunter. But I've also never seen an episode of Dr. Who.

I watch two of the four.... Legends and Supergirl just exceed my limit for hackery... and It's not that I think that Flash and Arrow are good shows, its just that they're in a genre for which I will forgive a multitude of sins.... Sometimes they're fun.... but the 8PM time slot and the network they're on will only allow for so much tend not to be conducive for top shelf writing.

Supergirl has been the best thus far this season, IMO. Loved Superman and loving Mon-El on the show even more. One thing I have noticed is the penchant for these shows to really bloat themselves with similar characters -- every character on Arrow seems to wield a bow, every character on Flash seems to be a speedster, and every character on Supergirl is a tank. I think it's a problematic trend. Diversity should be the rule. Granted, I'm exaggerating when I say "every character," but having more than two, which each show has, is really weird.

6 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Supergirl has been the best thus far this season, IMO. Loved Superman and loving Mon-El on the show even more. One thing I have noticed is the penchant for these shows to really bloat themselves with similar characters -- every character on Arrow seems to wield a bow, every character on Flash seems to be a speedster, and every character on Supergirl is a tank. I think it's a problematic trend. Diversity should be the rule. Granted, I'm exaggerating when I say "every character," but having more than two, which each show has, is really weird.

Arrow also loves doing characters with hoods. I genuinely didn't realise ragman and prometheus weren't the same character until I read a review after a particular episode.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice they've changed the title of the Supergirl episode from Invasion! to Medusa, and a bunch of other stuff is in the episode description ..... sounds like it'll probably be a regular Supergirl episode with Flash showing up right at the end. So really a three episode crossover.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

MOTHERFUCKING DEATHSTROKE!

Is Bennett back for this?

Unconfirmed, if he is he's not listed as a guest star.

I'm still a bit confused about this......the Supergirl episode isn't really part of the crossover, and the description of the Arrow episode is of Oliver waking up in an alternate timeline and noticing odd differences (Deathstroke's presence being one, I presume)......which is a bit hard to square with "oh, and aliens have invaded". Looks like Flash and Legends will be doing the heavy lifting here.

Frankly, having the Supergirl episode kick it off with the Flash coming in near the end feels like the start of a comic book crossover.  The Arrow episode feels like a crossover comic that's only tangentially connected, but I do think they've got a plan on what to do to give it some heft in its playing out...alien mind games and what not...

I'm keeping an open mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the crossover. I thought it was fun, but purely for the reasons I'd find any of the episodes of these shows fun -- the novelty of it all. Just can't believe I'm watching a comic book crossover, for an entire week, on television. The writing was as poor as ever, but I do like the fun these actors appear to have with the characters.

Brandon Routh's line to Kara at the end of the Legends episode wins the entire event. They really need to find a way to get Routh, Cain, Welling, and the new CW Superman into an episode together. Crisis of Infinite Awesome.

I imagine that's possible I mean they have the old flash as Barry's father and a doppleganger version who is the Flash in his world. Getting Routh to do it as Superman might be a little more hard to square in the continuity.

I enjoyed it overall. The villains were totally unimportant and that was good, they were just set dressing for the characters to interact in front of. I thought they joggled the cast pretty well.

Speaking of John Wesley Shipp, Barry will be on Earth-3 fighting the trickster again.

https://nyoobserver.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/fla309a_0251b.jpg?quality=80&w=953

On 12/3/2016 at 6:12 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

Brandon Routh's line to Kara at the end of the Legends episode wins the entire event. They really need to find a way to get Routh, Cain, Welling, and the new CW Superman into an episode together. Crisis of Infinite Awesome.

Too bad they'll never go all out and get Cavill to cameo too. Hell, if they go that far, get Afleck to cameo Hollywoodland's George Reeves.

Archived