Can Xue, The Last Lover

Okey Ndibe, Foreign Gods Inc.

Helen Oyeyemi, Mr. Fox; Boy, Snow, Bird

John Darnielle, Wolf in White Van

Emily St. John Mandel, Station Eleven

Cixin Liu, The Three-Body Problem

David Cronenberg, Consumed

Michael Faber, The Book of Strange New Things

OK, all but one of these are 2014 releases, but still, maybe there'll be a few that'll appeal to you? I limited myself to works that conceivably could be viewed as spec fic, even if the majority will not be shelved as such.

I have a compulsion about lists as well. I'm amazed you read your way through that list though. I've looked at it and thought about reading some of them but that is as far as I've gotten.

I'm thinking that my next list should be a book from every country (insofar as it's possible to find translations)

If you are looking for book ideas for this reading theme, there was a thread on this board a few years ago and there is a goodreads group (not very active) with some book possibilities:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/49765-challenge-read-a-book-about-every-country/#entry2457507

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2779-read-a-book-from-each-country

I have a compulsion about lists as well. I'm amazed you read your way through that list though. I've looked at it and thought about reading some of them but that is as far as I've gotten.

If you are looking for book ideas for this reading theme, there was a thread on this board a few years ago and there is a goodreads group (not very active) with some book possibilities:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/49765-challenge-read-a-book-about-every-country/#entry2457507

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2779-read-a-book-from-each-country

I saw the board thread back then, but never got started because I didn't think I could manage both lists at once (and I was already well into the SFF one).

I feel like I should be a cautionary tale. Do not read through the SFF list.

Have you read any other of Valente? I'd like to read her other books, but Deathless was another that started strong and finished stupid for me. Like at the start, the characters are very fairy-tale feeling - they have their own dream-like consistency - they seem like they're enacting a path that's been set for them. And then halfway through, it seems like Valente tries to make Marya a sympathetic character with feelings and shit. And the switch didn't really work for me. I thought it could have easily ended much earlier with an ambiguous resolution.

No, I did not read any other Valente. As I said, I found Deathless a bit cold overall (if it makes sense) but I thought the ending was actually strong, and it was I that was missing something in history or culture to fully make the link between the first part and the ending. :dunno:

ETA: Books from other countries than the English speaking world is something I'm trying to do, and it's refreshing.

For Valente, I think you might like her duology, The Orphan's Tales. It's has a story within a story framework and really showcases her imagination and writing skills, though you might find her prose a bit purple. It's really the best of her work.

All of these are much better recommendations than almost anything from the list.

I'm thinking that my next list should be a book from every country (insofar as it's possible to find translations)

Bear in mind, some of these are series. And based on your reading preferences you may not like all of them, but these are most that I know of. All have been translated or were initially written in English.

Argentina - Days of the Deer, Liliana Bodoc

- Trafalgar, Angelica Gorodischer

- Kalpa Imperial, Angelica Gorodischer

China - The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu

Finland - Memory of Water, Emma Itaranta

France - The Cardinal's Blades, Pierre Pevel

India - Turbulence, Samit Basu

New Zealand - The Wind City, Summer Wigmore

Nigeria - Half of a Yellow Sun, Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche (non-SFF)

Poland - The Last Wish, Andrzej Sapkowski

South Africa - Zoo City, Lauren Beukes

- Moxyland, Lauren Beukes

France - The Cardinal's Blades, Pierre Pevel

Mileages always vary, and it could feel slightly different in English than when I read it in French, but I would actually recommend to just read The Three Musketeers and give this book a skip, because that's what it feels: a subpar, coarse, commercial Three Musketeers, with dragons and a terrible lack of originality. It gives a feeling not unlike Novik's Temeraire in its blandness. It's not bad, but I would not want someone to believe this is the best from the genre literature of my country.

(I cannot think of a translated french recent SFF book that could stand up to the Iron Dragon's Daughter or Thunderer though. I say if you can read in French, try Chien du Heaume or Anamnèse de Lady Star)

For Valente, I think you might like her duology, The Orphan's Tales. It's has a story within a story framework and really showcases her imagination and writing skills, though you might find her prose a bit purple. It's really the best of her work.

It is amazing. Purple, yeah, but pulled off so well. It just feels velvet and earthy and rich and fuckit I'm rereading.

Phillip, I'm reading Lies of Locke Lamora on your previous recommendation via chat. The middle is kind of dragging for me but I enjoyed the setup and am optimistic that this part is just slow.

Thanks, Ben. I'm definitely not sticking to genre for other countries. I'm not against it (I liked Zoo City) but I'd rather read books that are more stereotypically literary.

Trisk, purple means prose that is ornate, flowery, and overly descriptive. Much of Guy Gavriel Kay's work, like Lions of Al-Rassan, is like this.

EB, fair enough. Monte Cristo is probably a better choice for sure.

Phillip, I'm reading Lies of Locke Lamora on your previous recommendation via chat. The middle is kind of dragging for me but I enjoyed the setup and am optimistic that this part is just slow.

Thanks, Ben. I'm definitely not sticking to genre for other countries. I'm not against it (I liked Zoo City) but I'd rather read books that are more stereotypically literary.

Memory of Water and Kalpa Imperial are definitely more literary than SFF and both are stand-alones.

Fair warning about Half a Yellow Sun: it's good, but it's bloody depressing. Though I think you've read McCarthy so maybe that's not a problem. :P

EB, fair enough. Monte Cristo is probably a better choice for sure.

It's the first book I ever bought, with my first pay, in extra deluxe edition, even when I already almost knew it by heart.

Have I ever told you guys HOW MUCH I HATE LIONS OF AL-RASSAN?

What, do you dislike seeing two supermen battling it out dramatically with the woman crying for both on the sidelines?

I read some of Kate Elliots Crossroads series (first two) and I just found it really "meh". If I ever got stuck on a desert island with the 3rd book I would read it but other than that it is unlikely to jump higher in my current reading list.

A series that could have been expanded by a book or two and been better for it. She built a huge world and then camped in a tiny part of it.

I half expect this to have already been recommended to you, but The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Near-future humanity detects extraterrestrial life, and the first organization that has the gumption and resources to send a ship and explorers to investigate is the Society of Jesus. Jesuits in space! A meditation on faith, suffering, and a well-intentioned road to Hell, by a secular Jew. One of the most beautiful and heartbreaking books I've ever read. There's a sequel, which is fine, but not essential.

Also, I would love it if you could post a link to your thread about the first 50...

I half expect this to have already been recommended to you, but The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Near-future humanity detects extraterrestrial life, and the first organization that has the gumption and resources to send a ship and explorers to investigate is the Society of Jesus. Jesuits in space! A meditation on faith, suffering, and a well-intentioned road to Hell, by a secular Jew. One of the most beautiful and heartbreaking books I've ever read. There's a sequel, which is fine, but not essential.

Also, I would love it if you could post a link to your thread about the first 50...

I concur on The Sparrow. I read it a year ago and I still think about it.

For your Canada pick I suggest brushime aside the usual suspects and reading some Timothy Findley if you can find him. I could send you my copy of Famous Last Words or Headhunter. Both so clever and entertaining but he has so much more in his portfolio.

And my extremely high suspension of disbelief system is already broken.

Archived