Shared Universes are all the rage nowadays. What would you do?

CyanidePie

Freddy Kruger

Jason Voorhees

Didn't they already try that? and it kind of sucked?Jason doesn't talk, and Freddy doesn't shut up so it really awful movie?

Twilight/Blade

WTF is wrong w/ YOU???? Even w/ the mistakes made in the last 2 movies, thats like putting a concert of Ace of Base and Motorhead. Rainbow glitter and cellar dwelling.

Am I missing the point of the question or is everyone else? I thought the question was about what franchises could sustain multiple franchises within them, not about which crossovers would be cool. For example, the Fantastic Beasts movies establishing several Wizarding World movies/franchises would be an example of a cinematic universe. Harry Potter appearing in Doctor Who would just be a cross over.

Am I missing the point of the question or is everyone else? I thought the question was about what franchises could sustain multiple franchises within them, not about which crossovers would be cool. For example, the Fantastic Beasts movies establishing several Wizarding World movies/franchises would be an example of a cinematic universe. Harry Potter appearing in Doctor Who would just be a cross over.

I guess it's because the examples are comic movies and I'm pretty sure Marvel and DC grew into shared universes as opposed to being worlds where Batman, superman and wonder woman can hang out together. That's why I was giving examples of things that could be retroactively made into shared universes. I still maintain that the BBC could make virtually all their programs in the same universe as Dr Who. Dr who in itself has already done pretty well as a franchise with at least 2 spin-offs in tv and a whole lot more if you include other media.

For examples in your line - the matrix could make an excellent shared universe. You could have people fighting agents in literally any scenario due to the multiple matrices idea established in the animatrix.

Chronicles of Riddick - plenty of scope there too.

Looper - tons of stories - there's time travel and maybe the bigger story regarding mutants.

Avatar/Alien/Prometheus - sort of happening already but plenty of shared universe ideas there.

Maybe it'd be possible to do Phillip K dick books in a shared universe? Some of them anyhow. I remember the total recall show had elements of blade runner in it too. Throw Minority report in for good luck.

The Shield/Sons of Anarchy, for real. Have Vic Mackey show up with three episodes left and start taking out all the SoA members, saving Gemma for last.

I always considered SoA to already exist in the Shield's universe because of the One-Niners existing in both shows. I thought there were other hints but it's been a really long time since I've seen SoA.

As far as cross overs vs. shared universes go, I'd agree with Avatar. It would have to go to the stories and movies that have the most interesting worlds, landscapes and societies I would think. Sci-fi and fantasy would obviously work in many cases.

Another neo-noir set in the LA Confidential universe would be awesome. Though maybe that's my way of asking for another movie just like it without having a direct sequel.

I always considered SoA to already exist in the Shield's universe because of the One-Niners existing in both shows. I thought there were other hints but it's been a really long time since I've seen SoA.

The ByzLats are also in both shows. Nero was a member, and they make him out to seem like one of the founding members of the gang.

The Shield is still far superior, because the plot was far more logical.

Chronicles of Riddick - plenty of scope there too.

This is already kind of around, what with the games. There's also space in the universe for stories without Riddick himself but I'm not sure there'd be the public interest, it's a franchise carried entirely on star power...

In terms of that kind of thing, you could definitely conceive of a Supernatural expanded universe. Maybe give the two lads themselves a break, let Jensen Ackles get on with a movie career, and take the franchise in new directions. I've not been following the more recent seasons but if it's not been done already, end one season by contriving something to throw Castiel into hell, then have a movie teaming him up with Jeffrey Dean Morgan...

Apparently, Orange is the New Black has joined the Tommy Westphal Universe.

For anyone unfamiliar with the TWU you can see a complete list of shows that have been linked here. Essentially, it all goes back to the end of St. Elsewhere in the final scene when it is intimated that the entire show happened in the mind of an autistic boy named Tommy Westphal. There were several shows that crossed over to St. Elsewhere then and even now. (One example being Alfre Woodward's character from St. Elsewhere showing up on Homicide thus linking the entire Law and Order universe and even the X-Files and other shows due to the king of crossovers John Munch.)

Archived