[spoiler TWoIaF] Of the Breeding of Races (Dragons & Man)

Lord Varys

Rather than weird, having sex with a dragon probably hurt as hell. Literally.

I tried to google humans mating with dragons in mythology but all I have were very nasty fics... I... will go and wash my eyes with bleach, brb.

Oh nice, Ive seen similar works of art. Maybe you need to make an avatar on the matter.

The arguments I got into were simply that Targs have special blood, which is now beyond any doubt. The opposition was fierce, from the usual know-it-alls, it was impossible to have a reasonable, sensible discussion about it. Part of why posting here is not worth it for me. The clue that sold me was always the prophetic dreams of Targs, which are innate, with no explanation for where they came from. As well as the many more obvious clues in the text.

Know it alls, hey I resemble that remark. Well I prefer the term "Magic blood" but yes and reasonable discussion about something associated with Dany? Come on man you been here long enough to know better. Look I am not naming names but some people get upset when a certain female lead might have something special. Only Jon and the Starks can be special.

Anyway yeah they have magic in their blood and my guess it's the children or a distant ancient relative of them.

I've been thinking that there might be two sides to each element. The warging abilities possessed by some First Men families (passed down by the CotF) is similar ,IMO, to the abilities of the Others to control the Wights. Of course the Others take it to the next level by reanimating the dead and wargining those bodies. That's why it's such an abomination for Bran to warg Hodor.

Well I would say your on the right track but you need to take it further. You may recall some of the discussions we had this topic. But given what the new book says, That's exactly what the children are capable of. In fact this book points that out with the woods witch making that offer, and some of the Hints about the first kings and burrows.

Now you know my feelings on the children and the Others and what I think the Hammer of the water really was. This book speaks of natural disasters, but I would stick with what I said. Not an earthquake but I believe it was glaciers. Glacial withdrawal would account for both the neck and the land bridge breaking plus rising sea levels. The imagery we discussed about a tree armored in ice. This book is easily tying a lot of what we talked about together.

And if anyone is going to ask, yes I believe the Others are the Hammer of the waters and the children called them down. And yes I believe they are doing it again. Though I don't think they are controlling the Others rather the Others are the first Giants. Both bane and brother to the children, after all when your 3 feet tall a 7 foot Other must appear to be enormous. The giants themselves seem to be vegan isolationists that would really appear to have no reason to fight the children.

Know it alls, hey I resemble that remark. Well I prefer the term "Magic blood" but yes and reasonable discussion about something associated with Dany? Come on man you been here long enough to know better. Look I am not naming names but some people get upset when a certain female lead might have something special. Only Jon and the Starks can be special.

Anyway yeah they have magic in their blood and my guess it's the children or a distant ancient relative of them.

Well I would say your on the right track but you need to take it further. You may recall some of the discussions we had this topic. But given what the new book says, That's exactly what the children are capable of. In fact this book points that out with the woods witch making that offer, and some of the Hints about the first kings and burrows.

Now you know my feelings on the children and the Others and what I think the Hammer of the water really was. This book speaks of natural disasters, but I would stick with what I said. Not an earthquake but I believe it was glaciers. Glacial withdrawal would account for both the neck and the land bridge breaking plus rising sea levels. The imagery we discussed about a tree armored in ice. This book is easily tying a lot of what we talked about together.

And if anyone is going to ask, yes I believe the Others are the Hammer of the waters and the children called them down. And yes I believe they are doing it again. Though I don't think they are controlling the Others rather the Others are the first Giants. Both bane and brother to the children, after all when your 3 feet tall a 7 foot Other must appear to be enormous. The giants themselves seem to be vegan isolationists that would really appear to have no reason to fight the children.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend, until he is my enemy again. If the Children and the Other ever had a packed, I don't think it's the same this time. Whatever the Others are, they have an agenda of their own IMO.

Wow

So many people " yea its been clear since the first book there's something special about the Targs blood" So clear that yall never cared to mention it until this book came out? Because ive only ever seen people on here backing down to the likes of Appletini and other non-stop posters about how there's so obnviouly nothing special about the blood of Dragonlords.

Evidently more books actually coming out is going to make for some entertainment around here, watching people back-peddle from things they adamantly denied before, and people pretending they always had things figured out even though the never cared to post anything about these things. Too funny that this series is finally progressing past the point of "oh everybody has a different opinion and nothings certain at this point" too plain right and wrong

Wow

So many people " yea its been clear since the first book there's something special about the Targs blood" So clear that yall never cared to mention it until this book came out? Because ive only ever seen people on here backing down to the likes of Appletini and other non-stop posters about how there's so obnviouly nothing special about the blood of Dragonlords.

Evidently more books actually coming out is going to make for some entertainment around here, watching people back-peddle from things they adamantly denied before, and people pretending they always had things figured out even though the never cared to post anything about these things. Too funny that this series is finally progressing past the point of "oh everybody has a different opinion and nothings certain at this point" too plain right and wrong

People did though. Just those against the idea were much more vocal.

Wow

I guess that comment was in reply to me since I'm the one that said that :dunno:

Well I've never been against the "blood of the dragon" being different I've always speculated that the Valyrians did something to their blood, it's pretty clear based on dragon dreams that they have.

People did though. Just those against the idea were much more vocal.

This^^

Magic horns like Dragonbinder aside, it is essentially confirmed that you need dragonlord blood. That's what people in Westeros believe, and it is not some story the Targaryens cooked up to look more semi-divine. It goes back to Valyria.

I don't think we have to discuss this topic all that often now... Which is great, actually.

That has been dead since Rhaenyra was burned and devoured by Sunfyre - at least for anyone who is not entirely stupid. Surely she as dragonrider had the right drop of dragonlord blood.

But greyscale was added to the sicknesses Targaryens can die from.

I guess that comment was in reply to me since I'm the one that said that :dunno:

Well I've never been against the "blood of the dragon" being different I've always speculated that the Valyrians did something to their blood, it's pretty clear based on dragon dreams that they have.

Im not unaware that there were a minority of people on here that have supported that. My point was a reference to both the people who're saying things to this effect that never had before, as well as the fact that even for the people who didnt dismiss it, seem to be getting much more vocal/confident about it now that its more or less stated outright.

Can you imagine the reaction if the worldbook mentioned that some Targaryens are fireproof.

When did the worldbook become the standard for evidence and understanding? We've read in the series, 2 Targaryens come into fatal contact with "fire". Viserys died of molten gold, Dany survived the pire and egg hatching via sorcery, and then survived Daznaks pit. (The effects of Daznaks pit is always an entertainingly contradictory conversation, people only pointing out Danys blistered palms and never ever ever the fact she outright compares it to the pire and how the fire touched her but only burnt her hair, but thats another no-where debate in and of itself)

The only reason people like yourself feel like they're in the right concerning this issue is because you yourselves are the ones who always choose to apply the term "fireproof" to the conversation. Fireproof = never being affected by fire/being able to sustain it. Do I (and others) think Dany can just go sit in another fire and chill out for a few days and be fine? No. Do i think she could just have dragonfire spit in her face repeatedly and be fine from it? No. Do I know that Dany has a much better chance of surviving a brush with fire/ is capable (whether purposefully or not) of sorcery involving fire? Yes, I've read books 1-5

That has been dead since Rhaenyra was burned and devoured by Sunfyre - at least for anyone who is not entirely stupid. Surely she as dragonrider had the right drop of dragonlord blood.

Well any number of examples of Targeryens being burnt doesn't rule out that some of them might be fireproof. Not that I believe that any are or ever were.

When did the worldbook become the standard for evidence and understanding?

I never said it was? I just think it would have been funny to see the reaction of some of the vehemently "anti-fireproof" people on this board if the worldbook had contained a story about Aegon surviving some conflagration that a normal man would not have survived.

I never said it was? I just think it would have been funny to see the reaction of some of the vehemently "anti-fireproof" people on this board if the worldbook had contained a story about Aegon surviving some conflagration that a normal man would not have survived.

What truly is the point of responding to only the first sentence of my post, outside of like posturing for outside parties. You know i have more to say on the topic than that, either respond or dont

What truly is the point of responding to only the first sentence of my post, outside of like posturing for outside parties. You know i have more to say on the topic than that, either respond or dont

Well that was the only line I took issue with. I think you and I are actually in agreement. I assure you I wasn't "posturing for outside parties" by posting on an internet message board on a saturday night.

I think you can add consumption, too.

But was Rhaenyra burnt? The section on Aegon III says he saw his mother eaten "alive" by a dragon.

But was Rhaenyra burnt? The section on Aegon III says he saw his mother eaten "alive" by a dragon.

From The Princess and the Queen

King Aegon II delivered his half sister to his dragon. Sunfyre, it is said, did not seem at first to take any interest in the offering, until Broome pricked the queen’s breast with his dagger. The smell of blood roused the dragon, who sniffed at Her Grace, then bathed her in a blast of flame, so suddenly that Ser Alfred’s cloak caught fire as he leapt away. Rhaenyra Targaryen had time to raise her head toward the sky and shriek out one last curse upon her half brother before Sunfyre’s jaws closed round her, tearing off her arm and shoulder.

I will still object to the idea of Valyrian blood being a necessity to ride a dragon until George proves it without any doubt.

But it hints in TWoIaF that there was an older race that could tame dragons.

I've no doubt Targs are the new, post Long Night, dragon blood but I think they are not the first dragon blood.

Targs are only 5000 year old fire/blood/dragon special. There was an older, pre Long Night race, from Asshai, that was originally like this.

Archived