What do you wish was more elaborated?

^Did we have "official" confirmation before now that Shiera was Bloodraven's paramour? I know we were told he and Bittersteel loved her but couldn't remember being told that they were lovers before now. Although I know there were suspicions of a relationship and certain child ;)

There are many things I'd've liked more data on, including details on the Targaryen queens who are just names on the Targaryen genealogy right now; more info on the marriages of Targaryen princesses like Rhae and Daella, who probably do have significant marriages; more detailed genealogies of the Baratheons and the Velaryons, particularly in the time of Aegon I through Aegon IV, and on the Hightowers, and especially the Blackfyres (I thought they'd be included with the Targaryens, but obviously illegitimate lines were left out almost totally, except for Jon Snow, the one earlier Stark baseborn son, and Joy Hill, daughter of Gerion Lannister). I would also have liked very much more detail on the Starks in the North section, all in one place like the Lannister details are, instead of scattered throughout the book (and then still not many details). I was actually a bit shocked that the Stark info was so sparse as compared with the Lannisters and Targaryens. And more on the reign of Maekar I. I suspect the Stark info and the Maekar era are deliberately vague because George has more Dunk and Egg stories he wishes to tell, unspoiled, and more Stark info, too, e.g., when "She-Wolves of Winterfell" is published. I would like to know the ultimate fate of Queen/Regent-Mother Alyssa Velaryon, too, and what happened to her daughter Rhaena after the death of Maegor. I'm sure there are 40 other things I want more info on, but those are some of the first that come to mind. I'm not unhappy with what's there, though! Just want more, of course.....

^Did we have "official" confirmation before now that Shiera was Bloodraven's paramour? I know we were told he and Bittersteel loved her but couldn't remember being told that they were lovers before now. Although I know there were suspicions of a relationship and certain child ;)

Sword sword...

“You’ve known queens and princesses. Did they dance with demons and practice the black arts?”

“Lady Shiera does. Lord Bloodraven’s paramour. She bathes in blood to keep her beauty

Plus ssm's saying Bloodraven was her most ardent admirer, and she shared his bed but never gave him her hand (he proposed marriage half a hundred times).

Aside from describing the various peoples in North, which I liked, the actual history of the North felt pretty short. Feels like I know more about the Gardener kings than the Starks. Same goes for the Stormlands, in which the Durrandon section basically amounted to "they had lots of wars", and the Baratheon section was just mentioning their interactions with the Royal family.

In the time the Starks were fighting Ironborn, Skagos and Wildings the Baratheons apparently just hung around in court getting into squabbles with Targs. It was so disappointing. It was like the family lost its crown and lost its character. Arlan III accidentally conquering the Riverlands was quite amusing. Everyone just assumed the Durrandons were grabbing territory when in fact they were claiming them from the Blackwood wife whose dad was dead and so the Durrandon claim was through Riverlands blood after the fall of the Teagues.

In the time the Starks were fighting Ironborn, Skagos and Wildings the Baratheons apparently just hung around in court getting into squabbles with Targs. It was so disappointing. It was like the family lost its crown and lost its character. Arlan III accidentally conquering the Riverlands was quite amusing. Everyone just assumed the Durrandons were grabbing territory when in fact they were claiming them from the Blackwood wife whose dad was dead and so the Durrandon claim was through Riverlands blood after the fall of the Teagues.

The Durrandon bit was dissapointing. They came off as a bunch of losers who lost most of their wars. Even after their extinction, the Baratheons and the Stormlands just keep losing wars, or have their Lord Paramounts slain. The Riverlands and Stormlands just seem to be GRRM's punching bag.

The Durrandon bit was dissapointing. They came off as a bunch of losers who lost most of their wars. Even after their extinction, the Baratheons and the Stormlands just keep losing wars, or have their Lord Paramounts slain. The Riverlands and Stormlands just seem to be GRRM's punching bag.

The Baratheons strongest quality doesn't seem to be fighting, but making the right friends. Robert with Ned, Jon and Hoster. Lyonel brought in some of the knights who rode with Dunk. Renly with the Reach and many knights outside the Stormlands (I mean come on, if not for that enormous Deus Ex machina...). Orys with Aegon. So I think the lesson is not that the Baratheons are punching bags, but they have to realize that you need to build alliances to win wars and often times they are VERY GOOD at this.

I would have liked a timeline (like those in LotR, maybe starting with the arrival of the targaryens at Dragonstone) and maps of the eastern lands(like those you have for the different westerosi regions). these would have improved/helped to understand parts of the text.

The Baratheons strongest quality doesn't seem to be fighting, but making the right friends. Robert with Ned, Jon and Hoster. Lyonel brought in some of the knights who rode with Dunk. Renly with the Reach and many knights outside the Stormlands (I mean come on, if not for that enormous Deus Ex machina...). Orys with Aegon. So I think the lesson is not that the Baratheons are punching bags, but they have to realize that you need to build alliances to win wars and often times they are VERY GOOD at this.

Seems Dorne is the exception in this. I can understand being able to defeat armies in their own lands, but apparently they were also able to succesfully raid both the Reach and the Stormlands. They went as far as to besiege strong castles(Highgarden and Nightsong), and raze them to the ground. Even the North had a considerably hard time trying to raid the Vale.

Certainly Asshai and the Shadowlands, but this info may be crucial to the next volumes of the series. Also Mossovy - does it have anything with common with Muscovy, except for the name and presumably climate? Shapechangers there? I am going the sceptic's way here and assume it means skinchagers, and tales got exaggerated on their way to Westeros.

From Westeros, Jenny of Oldstones and Summerhall - but again, this would probably constitute spoilers for the next volumes.

That doesn't kick in until after Arlan III dies and leads up to Argilac who was a beast.

Durran Godsgrief- Conquered the Rainwood from the Children

Durran the Devout- Gave it back

Durran Bronze Axe- Re-Conquered the Rainwood

Durran the Dour- Defeated the last King of the Giants

Durran the Young- Defeated the Dornish Yronwoods and Wyls

Erich the Sailmaker - 'claimed' Estermont

Durran X- Took the Blackwater

Monfryd The Mighty- Defeated the Darklyns and Mootons

Then came a series of rubbish kings who lost a lot

Ronard the Bastard- Usurped the throne and battered all Stormlands enemies into submission

Quarlton the Conqueror- Battled the Masseys and won

Andal invasion- The Durrandons won half a dozen major battles, setting Andal king against Andal.

Durran XXI found the Children of the Forest and made a Weirwood alliance which threw the Andals back for a generation

Cleoden I and the Dornish defeated Andals later

'The Andals never truly conquered the line of Durrandon'

They then expanded to their maximum land mass 'Arlan I swept all before him' before contracting because the Maester suggested their realm was too big too rule, up until the Last Storm. 'The fall was halted briefly when a fierce warrior prince Argilac, donned the Stags crown, but even a man as mighty as he could could only stay the tide.'

Kissing up to Robert maybe?

That doesn't kick in until after Arlan III dies and leads up to Argilac who was a beast.

Durran Godsgrief- Conquered the Rainwood from the Children

Durran the Devout- Gave it back

Durran Bronze Axe- Re-Conquered the Rainwood

Durran the Dour- Defeated the last King of the Giants

Durran the Young- Defeated the Dornish Yronwoods and Wyls

Erich the Sailmaker - 'claimed' Estermont

Durran X- Took the Blackwater

Monfryd The Mighty- Defeated the Darklyns and Mootons

Then came a series of rubbish kings who lost a lot

Ronard the Bastard- Usurped the throne and battered all Stormlands enemies into submission

Quarlton the Conqueror- Battled the Masseys and won

Andal invasion- The Durrandons won half a dozen major battles, setting Andal king against Andal.

Durran XXI found the Children of the Forest and made a Weirwood alliance which threw the Andals back for a generation

Cleoden I and the Dornish defeated Andals later

'The Andals never truly conquered the line of Durrandon'

They then expanded to their maximum land mass 'Arlan I swept all before him' before contracting because the Maester suggested their realm was too big too rule, up until the Last Storm. 'The fall was halted briefly when a fierce warrior prince Argilac, donned the Stags crown, but even a man as mighty as he could could only stay the tide.'

Kissing up to Robert maybe?

Maybe I was overreacting a bit, though most boy their enemies were few in number compared to them. Seems more like he was kissing up to Joffrey/Tommen than Robert.

I'd like to have seen more on the North. That was surprisingly short. Two things especially:

1) The Pact of Ice and Fire: A Targaryen bride for a Stark lordling... do tell me more.

2) What did the Starks and the North do during the BF Rebellion.

I agree with you! Not much new here

And Summerhall. Often hate the Targs but love Egg, his fathers generation and all the Blackfrye intrigues

Needed more Dayne

I totally agree. I was hoping for a family tree and/or the house words. I vaguely recollect Ran mentioning something about Darkstar's origin (i.e. that he is exactly who he says he is) and WOIAF at the same time, which somehow made me think that we might find out more about the Dayne's family relations in the book.

The section on the Sword of the Morning was a bit disappointment because it didn't reveal any new information.

That was about the app, where George had answered a question about Darkstar's age. It basically made him the wrong age for both of the tinfoil theories -- too old to be Rhaegar's son, too young to have been Ashara's lover, or what have you.

Maybe I was overreacted a bit, though most boy their enemies were few in number compared to them. Seems more like he was kissing up to Joffrey/Tommen than Robert.

Well most of those are before the seven Kingdoms. When it was petty kings. The Yronwoods would have been a massive victory, the Masseys were Kings and Massey's hook was a constant problem so solving that deserved a heck of a name. You can't really argue with conquering a landmass from the marches to the neck without dragons. Or surviving a constant barage of Andals on their coasts for years and remaining unconquered. Which is why the Baratheons were such a disappointment until Robert

That was about the app, where George had answered a question about Darkstar's age. It basically made him the wrong age for both of the tinfoil theories -- too old to be Rhaegar's son, too young to have been Ashara's lover, or what have you.

OK, great. Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Now that I've had time to think, I realize I would have liked to get the complete lists of Lomas Longstrider's Wonders and Wonders Made by Man, perhaps in a side bar. There's no way those could be spoilers, could they?

I just read your signature link & love that idea. Well done & fun to ponder

Archived