What do you wish was more elaborated?

Where the Baratheon surname came from if Orys was supposedly baseborn rather than just bastard born.

Well, we don't know the Valyrian customs. It's entirely possible that it's just a commoner surname, or, if he was a bastard son of Aegon's father after all, his mother's name. We have no reason to think the Valyrians had the same bastard naming patterns as Westeros.

Well, we don't know the Valyrian customs. It's entirely possible that it's just a commoner surname, or, if he was a bastard son of Aegon's father after all, his mother's name. We have no reason to think the Valyrians had the same bastard naming patterns as Westeros.

Definately would have liked to have seen this expanded on. Also wanted to see some of the legendary heroes like Lann the Clever, Durran Godsgrief, Crake the Boarkiller, Clarence Crabb to be expanded on with details. I would have like the treatment given the individual Targaryens to be given to the other major houses. Also would have liked to seen more history and indiviuals described in major secondary houses like Yronwood, Umber, Hightower, Royce, Crakehall etc. I would have loved to see the history of the Cleganes in the Lannister section.

Orys was baseborn though, so it seems unlikely that his mother would have had a surname.

Perhaps Orys had been legitimized, and had chosen Baratheon for his own name?

Are we directly told he was "baseborn" or was his bastard status just a rumour?

We know pretty low status surnamed people in Westeros. Podrick Payne and his father; Janos Slynt; Masha Heddle etc. Podrick Payne´s mother specifically went on to get pregnant by a wandering singer.

Some man surnamed Baratheon and being butcher, innkeeper, man-at-arms etc. might have been the official father of Orys.

The favor that Aegon the Conqueror showered upon Orys Baratheon made many credit the rumors that he was Aegon’s baseborn half brother. Though never proved, that tale is widely believed to this very day.

We know pretty low status surnamed people in Westeros. Podrick Payne and his father; Janos Slynt; Masha Heddle etc. Podrick Payne´s mother specifically went on to get pregnant by a wandering singer.

Some man surnamed Baratheon and being butcher, innkeeper, man-at-arms etc. might have been the official father of Orys.

And in the Free Cities everybody seems to have a surname regardless of social class, so it probably was the same for Valyrians.

I kinda would've liked to have heard more about Fireball, this book doesn't follow Mystery Knight's claim that Fireball, just as much as Bittersteel spurned Daemon on to take the throne after Daeron the Good decided to rescind his father's decision to make Fireball a Kingsguard for whatever reason.

Also would've liked to hear more about Shiera Seastar but I guess Bloodraven is still alive to tell that story.

Hmm.. I miss the description of Naerys' death.. From the app, it sounds as if it was the grief that killed her, but a date would have been nice.. "shortly after" 177AC could be that same year, it could be the next year.. it could be many things..

Also, I would have loved to learn where Daena and Rhaena (Elaena's sisters) ended up, and when they died..

So we have a Targaryen lineage dating back to Aegon the Conqueror. I think it would've been cool to see the Targ family dating back to Valyria. Also a list of the ruling families of the Freehold and whether or not they were distantly related.

Well there's no comprehensive family tree of the pre-Conquest Targs, but we do know (most of) Aegon's lineage.

Aegon (and Visenya and Rhaenys) were the children of Aerion Targaryen and Valaena Velaryon

Aerion Targaryen was son of Daemion Targaryen. Valaena Velaryon's mother was a Targaryen

Daemion Targaryen was son of Aerys Targaryen. Daemion had two brothers, Aelyx and Baelon

Aerys Targaryen was son of Aegon and Elaena Targaryen. Aerys had a brother, Maegon

Aegon and Elaena Targaryen were the children of Gaemon and Daenys Targaryen (that would be Daenys the Dreamer)

Gaemon and Daenys Targaryen were the children of Aenar Targaryen

Aenar Targaryen was the one who left Valyria for Dragonstone (based on a dream of his daughter Daenys)

This is all in the chapter on Aegon's Conquest

Still, there were more Targaryens, it would have been fun to have them mentioned as well, though I suspect that is more Fire and Blood type of material.

Oh, of course. Valaena and Alyssa's mothers (and their parentage), for example, would certainly be interesting to know. Probably the most "fun" part of a more complete Targaryen lineage would be see just how much of a completely messy web Aegon I's family tree was. It'd probably put the ancestry of Charles II of Spain to shame http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Carlos_segundo80.png

I wish we got more info on the courts of the great houses.

I liked the info we got about Tywin's father's reign and the politics of the Lannister's and their court in the Westerlands they had their own intrigue and game of thrones without involving that ugly chair I wish we had more stories like that from all the great houses with more intrigue and backstabbing etc.

I wanted more from everything :D

Guys, just imagine if Martin could live for decades healthy then how many things could he write us? It'd be a great stuff!

But most of all I'd like more of Asshai, coz this wasn't so much in the book. And my favourite is Westeros, so for me the best would be more of Westerosi history. Stories about the North like Stark-Bolton wars, disputes between the marcher lords of Stormlands-Dorne-Reach, etc.

In their world no noble hides their heritage. Their nobility is power. If the Maesters have no idea where Orys came from he probably came from nothing. The thing about the people you mention is that they are at least of landed Knight status or in the case of the Heddles were up until a few generations ago. And the Maesters would know if the person's dad was a landed knight, they have records.

Baratheons may have held Dragonstone before the Targs. baraTHEON so maybe its a First Men thing.

Who knows. Theory: Orys is a dragonseed from the First Men who originally held Dragonstone (although Andals probably took it). Don't know about Bara tho.

Didn't someone work out the Bara=fisherman and Theon=godly.

I can't work out what language the Bara=fisherman part comes from now though.

Archived