What do you wish was more elaborated?

1. What happened to Rhaenys/what was in Nymorr's letter (but maybe not?)

2. What happened at Summerhall?

3. Why did Rhaegar act as he did with Lyanna?

4. What led Maegor to turn against Tyanna?

5. What happened to Nettles?

6. What exactly do shadowbinders get up to?

7. What happened to Shiera Seastar?

I really thought this would be in the book.

I really thought this would be in the book.

In case you missed it, it sorta is.

Amongst the Burned Men, a youth must give some part of his body to the fire to prove his courage before he can be deemed a man. This practice might have originated in the years after the Dance of the Dragons, some maesters believe, when an offshoot clan of the Painted Dogs were said to have worshipped a fire-witch in the mountains, sending their boys to bring her gifts and risk the flames of the dragon she commanded to prove their manhood.

That coupled with Yandel saying nobody knew where she went for years after suggests that the Maesters are pretty sure that was her.

Then what happened? Cause the book's only telling me stuff about Nettles I already knew. Maybe im missing something?

Well she presumably landed in the Vale and became that fire witch who started the Burned Men. Her ultimate fate is not revealed, I guess it's possible that she eventually moved on. I think it's more likely her dragon died there (maybe somehow from winter?) and she followed soon after.

I'm guessing we don't see any burned men with dragonbone weapons, which you'd think we would if the dragon died there. Then again Nettles probably didn't even exist in Martin's mind when he wrote the descriptions of the Burned Men back in the first few books.

I'd like more elaboration on the Warg war. I'm always interested in where the Starks got their 'drop of magical genetics'. It seems to me it could have been here. The Starks and allies killed off the Warg king and kin,EXCEPT for the Warg daughters who became 'concubines for the conquerors'. This could have been when the skin changing abilities in general entered the Stark (and maybe Mormont? And other Northern?) Lines?

Well she presumably landed in the Vale and became that fire witch who started the Burned Men. Her ultimate fate is not revealed, I guess it's possible that she eventually moved on. I think it's more likely her dragon died there (maybe somehow from winter?) and she followed soon after.

I'm guessing we don't see any burned men with dragonbone weapons, which you'd think we would if the dragon died there. Then again Nettles probably didn't even exist in Martin's mind when he wrote the descriptions of the Burned Men back in the first few books.

Hmmm I see, I was hoping she went to the Free Cities and gave birth to Daemon's kid or something.

Thank you for the information, ser.

- We got a lot of Dorne, but I would have liked a little more on their customs. We know they practise the Faith of the Seven, but it would have been interesting to see if there marriage ceremonies had a Rhoynish tinge to them or something a little extra like that.

I would have liked to know more "social" history but that would have surprised me if they had a lot of that in the book. They did have some very good fake anthropology, though.

How come there was no mention of Lhazar? Sure, they're the Lamb Men, but Naath got a full page, so I would think Lhazar deserved at least a paragraph.

Strikes me a fairly realistic. Naath is a fairly large island that's not going to be missed examining any accurate map of the known world. The Lhazar are a peaceful semi-nomadic shepherding folk in central Essos who inhabit a politically ambiguous region preyed upon by far more influential overshadowing powers. It doesn't surprise me that most Maesters have probably never heard of them even if they know the basics of what Naath is off-hand (or what it's rumored to be at least).

But impractical. Requiring, inter alia, a definition of "major" castles.

We hear an order of magnitude: 600 lords showed up on the Field of Fire. We know that Hightowers and presumably their vassals had defected. And no doubt some lords legitimately stayed behind in their castles because of age or need to guard the castle and sent someone else with their banners. All told, I think the total for West and Reach was somewhere near 1000 lords existing - perhaps 400 in West and 600 in Reach?

Now, not all lords hold major castles. Sheepshit is a castle but probably not a major one, and Coldmoat may or may not qualify as "major", but it is a mesne vassal. Lords subject to another lord rather than Paramount or King are repeatedly attested, and both Osgreys till Maegor and Manderlys under Tommen are attested to be overlords of 12 lords and 100 landed knights.

So how many lords are tenants-in-chief of Tywin and how many are mesne tenants?

Also, not all major tenants hold the titular dignity and powers of a Lord. Templetons are an ancient house, much richer than Baelishes, but they are Knights of Ninestars, not Lords.

No, actually, it's not that hard to define "major." Basically, if it's on the map, or if the House's arms are displayed in the heraldry graphic, it should be listed.

The fact that the Templetons don't carry the title of Lord doesn't change the fact that they are apparently important players in the Vale, so they should be listed. Sheepshit can be exempt; I figure Yandel only included the Baelish arms because of Littlefinger's influence at court.

Really, it doesn't need to be exhaustive and the category doesn't need to be tightly defined, just a list of the ones that are relevant in the novels and would help readers understand who lives where.

1. What happened to Rhaenys/what was in Nymorr's letter (but maybe not?)

2. What happened at Summerhall?

3. Why did Rhaegar act as he did with Lyanna?

4. What led Maegor to turn against Tyanna?

5. What happened to Nettles?

6. What exactly do shadowbinders get up to?

7. What happened to Shiera Seastar?

Most of these are deliberately left unanswered because the answers are not known to the Citadel in-universe, or because GRRM is saving them for future novels or D&E tales.

I expect 1, 4, and 5 will never be answered beyond what we already have; 3 will probably be answered in the novels and 6 might be (Melisandre's POV could give us insight); 2 and 7 may be covered in future D&E tales.

Most of these are deliberately left unanswered because the answers are not known to the Citadel in-universe, or because GRRM is saving them for future novels or D&E tales.

I expect 1, 4, and 5 will never be answered beyond what we already have; 3 will probably be answered in the novels and 6 might be (Melisandre's POV could give us insight); 2 and 7 may be covered in future D&E tales.

No bad thing. It's good to have some mysteries.

How come there was no mention of Lhazar? Sure, they're the Lamb Men, but Naath got a full page, so I would think Lhazar deserved at least a paragraph.

Ran said they are too unimportant for Yandel's interests.

(We dont have pages for Great Moraq, or Ulthos or Ghiscar.)

Since the Peakes lost them in rebellions, who now holds Dunstonbury and Whitegrove?

Manderly and presumably Whitehill lost them to Peake, but who got them after Peake? I'd assume Tyrell, but there is no mention of it.

Good one, also I would have liked to learn more about what House HIghtower did between the Dance of the Dragons and present time.

Really, it doesn't need to be exhaustive and the category doesn't need to be tightly defined, just a list of the ones that are relevant in the novels and would help readers understand who lives where.

Yandel does not read novels!

What is necessary is something that would help the reader, that is Robert, look up who the important lords are to consider.

If, say, Lord Manderly introduces himself as "12 lords and 100 landed knights follow my banners" and ser Eustace Osgrey gives exact same numbers for his pre-Maegor ancestors then something which could make sense for Robert to consult and look up, and memorize as far as he can bother, might be:

Starks: 314 lord bannermen total, including:

Manderly - 12 lord bannermen

Dustin - 11 lords bannermen

Lesser immediate Stark bannermen, without lords bannermen of their own - 97 lords

And similar lists for Lannister, Tyrell, etc.

Archived