The Most Useless Trivial Thing you Know

Lany Freelove Cassandra

What do you mean by forever? As in an eternal lifespan? Or limitless in reproduction? (As in staying fertile until death?)

As I remember it lobsters won't die from aging, but obviously nature has its ways of killing them. This could also be totally false as it's just something that popped in my head when I read some of the other lobster facts.

The Hey Diddle Diddle nursery rhyme is about how the constellations move in the sky.

Hey diddle diddle

The cat and the fiddle

The cow jumped over the moon

The little dog laughed to see such fun

And the dish ran away with the spoon

Cat = Leo

Fiddle = Lyra

Cow = Taurus

Little Dog = Canis Minor

Dish = Apollo's cup

Spoon = Big Dipper

One if many Urban Legends that were suddenly discovered years after the rhymes were set in writing.

The Hey Diddle Diddle nursery rhyme is about how the constellations move in the sky.

Hey diddle diddle

The cat and the fiddle

The cow jumped over the moon

The little dog laughed to see such fun

And the dish ran away with the spoon

Cat = Leo

Fiddle = Lyra

Cow = Taurus

Little Dog = Canis Minor

Dish = Apollo's cup

Spoon = Big Dipper

One if many Urban Legends that were suddenly discovered years after the rhymes were set in writing.

Barbara etc. are mnemonics for syllogisms (in ancient/medieval logics). a stands for "all-sentences", so the classical example

All men are mortal.

All Greeks are men.

All Greeks are mortal.

is a case of Barbara because all three are "all-sentences". i stands for "some" (some mammals are dogs) and e and o stand for negative statements. The vowels stem from "affirmo" (for the affirmative statements) and "nego" for the negatives.

I think there are words for all kinds of syllogisms, even for the ones that are not truth-conserving.

Barbara etc. are mnemonics for syllogisms (in ancient/medieval logics). a stands for "all-sentences", so the classical example

All men are mortal.

All Greeks are men.

All Greeks are mortal.

is a case of Barbara because all three are "all-sentences". i stands for "some" (some mammals are dogs) and e and o stand for negative statements. The vowels stem from "affirmo" (for the affirmative statements) and "nego" for the negatives.

I think there are words for all kinds of syllogisms, even for the ones that are not truth-conserving.

Thanks, I had to wiki it although to understand where the Barbara came from.

Logics were never my thing... but let's bring philosophy to the board!

Nietzsche went mad at the end of his days. The line were his "coherent" work ends and the babbling begins is an uncertain line that nobody can judge.

Cicuta was the poison that Socrates drank to end with his life.

In the Hegelian night, all cats are grey.

The statue of liberty's nose is four feet six inches long.

In the movie Cloverfield, they have a shot of the Statue of Liberty's head rolling down the street, which is scaled to the correct size. When shown to test audiences, people felt it was too small and unrealistic. So they made it larger.

In the Amazon river there is a fish that is attracted to urine, and is small enough to slide in the urethra and stick in there. It's name is candirĂº.

:stunned:

And people here think my continent has creepy/dangerous fauna.

The mascot of the World Cup Brasil 2014 was an armadillo.

The Amazon river is the longest river of the world (disputed with the Nile, depending on where it's considered the beginning of the Amazon), and the one with the largest water discharge.

Brasil is the only country in America that speaks Portuguese. Because of the naval expeditions, Portuguese is the official language of various african countries, and some other in Oceania (can't remember which ones).

Yerba mate was considered the green gold in the first half of the XX century.

Again, there's no useless knowledge, everything is cool to know, except that in the movie Brazil (1985), director Terry Gilliam said that it was a nightmare to work with Robert De Niro.

Archived