US Politics: The Day After The Political Earthquake

Tywin Manderly

First point, official Republican opposition to climate change, as shown in the Texas platform, is against using money or otherwise reshaping society to combat it. Given how nearly every climate study that has made a prediction has been shown to be wrong, this isn't an unrational viewpoint.
No, they're opposed to using money for anything to fund any global climate change initiatives. Not just combat - heck - just even research. This is consistent with Bush's actual policy rules when he was in office as well. This would defund any grants too for any research as well. This is a hugely far cry from what you're saying.

Also, the prediction rate has been if anything a bit too conservative. The rate of ice melt, the overall temperature increases, the acidification of the ocean and the effects on wildlife, the destruction of coral reefs, the behavior changes of mammals as temperatures grow, the blooms of algae - these were all predictions that panned out off the top of my head. What specific predictions are you decrying?

First point, official Republican opposition to climate change, as shown in the Texas platform, is against using money or otherwise reshaping society to combat it. Given how nearly every climate study that has made a prediction has been shown to be wrong, this isn't an unrational viewpoint.

Not that clear on how models work I take it? Is this where you trot out that flat earther style soundbite about how there has been no warming for the last 17 years?

I really wish Inigma's final post in the last thread was here, for it was gold.

Having lurked on here for nearly 15 years, there are certain trends that emerge. One, after a Republican victory of any sort, several conservative boards members turn up to gloat. Fair enough. Additionally, one or more will come on to tut-tut the so-called 'libril hive mind' that exists on this board, despairing the lack of 'balanced' conversation and decrying the leftist slant, usually throwing in some subtle or blatant ad hominem to boot. Often this is coached in loaded terms and shaking-head condescension about how the left just doesn't get it. Naturally, these members vanish when the political pendulum swings the other way (right after the presidential elections of 2008 and 2012, for example), though sometimes ominous, doomsaying posts flitter in about the inevitable decline of traditional values and et al. bullshit.

There have been substantial conservative posters in the past. These people are generally valued because they frame political arguments in a way that stimulates discourse, something certain long-time posters (like Shryke, DanteGabriel, Inigma, etc. etc.) absolutely love. FLOW, Raidne, dirjj to a lesser extent count among these. Others, like Tempra, Commodore, Swordfish, have posted for years and years, sometimes merely posting links while ignoring counter evidence, other times arguing over the course of a thread a specific point. As a long-time lurker and infrequent poster, I value these conservative posters as well, for even if I disagree with them, they add to the conversation. They invigorate the impressive minds that spend more time than I can imagine crafting articulate and definitive responses.

Then there are the skimmer-pundits and the trolls, those who come in and post talking points and immediately are beset with a wave of links and evidence discrediting the myth-memes of the modern reactionary. They rarely if ever confront dissenting information, instead cherry-pick for argument, cast cheap shots (often hilariously feeble) to satiate their rage at experiencing cognitive dissonance, and mutter about how Democrats mistreat Republicans while denying the bedrock attitudes of the GOP in its modern incarnation. Ignorant or ignoring, therein, how many of the posters here aren't specifically Democrats, in fact have qualms and criticisms of the party, but generally consider it the lesser of two evils in the current stagnant situation.

These skimmer-pundits and the trolls have value, to an extent: the more aggressive and committed political posters here tirelessly expose and refute the surface bullshit, keeping these threads alive and viable. But Barry, Prince, Creepo, StonedCat, daskool-- you're just the same iterations of a cycle existing long before you. This stuff is nothing new, and not particularly interesting, though it is at times astonishing and amusing--mental gymnastics and all that giving this place a circus quality at times.

I went to the BMV yesterday to get my plates, but it was partially shutdown due to the 'election day'. I have to say I was quite inconvenienced! I'd driven for fifteen minutes to get there, and then had to drive fifteen minutes to get home with nothing to show for it.

I like to think that I did the right thing to display my displeasure as an American by going home and getting fucked up.

ABOLISH GOVERNMENT!!!

Having lurked on here for nearly 15 years, there are certain trends that emerge. One, after a Republican victory of any sort, several conservative boards members turn up to gloat. Fair enough. Additionally, one or more will come on to tut-tut the so-called 'libril hive mind' that exists on this board, despairing the lack of 'balanced' conversation and decrying the leftist slant, usually throwing in some subtle or blatant ad hominem to boot. Often this is coached in loaded terms and shaking-head condescension about how the left just doesn't get it. Naturally, these members vanish when the political pendulum swings the other way (right after the presidential elections of 2008 and 2012, for example), though sometimes ominous, doomsaying posts flitter in about the inevitable decline of traditional values and et al. bullshit.

There have been substantial conservative posters in the past. These people are generally valued because they frame political arguments in a way that stimulates discourse, something certain long-time posters (like Shryke, DanteGabriel, Inigma, etc. etc.) absolutely love. FLOW, Raidne, dirjj to a lesser extent count among these. Others, like Tempra, Commodore, Swordfish, have posted for years and years, sometimes merely posting links while ignoring counter evidence, other times arguing over the course of a thread a specific point. As a long-time lurker and infrequent poster, I value these conservative posters as well, for even if I disagree with them, they add to the conversation. They invigorate the impressive minds that spend more time than I can imagine crafting articulate and definitive responses.

Then there are the skimmer-pundits and the trolls, those who come in and post talking points and immediately are beset with a wave of links and evidence discrediting the myth-memes of the modern reactionary. They rarely if ever confront dissenting information, instead cherry-pick for argument, cast cheap shots (often hilariously feeble) to satiate their rage at experiencing cognitive dissonance, and mutter about how Democrats mistreat Republicans while denying the bedrock attitudes of the GOP in its modern incarnation. Ignorant or ignoring, therein, how many of the posters here aren't specifically Democrats, in fact have qualms and criticisms of the party, but generally consider it the lesser of two evils in the current stagnant situation.

These skimmer-pundits and the trolls have value, to an extent: the more aggressive and committed political posters here tirelessly expose and refute the surface bullshit, keeping these threads alive and viable. But Barry, Prince, Creepo, StonedCat, daskool-- you're just the same iterations of a cycle existing long before you. This stuff is nothing new, and not particularly interesting, though it is at times astonishing and amusing--mental gymnastics and all that giving this place a circus quality at times.

You need a tissue? Don't worry, the pain will ease with time. Maybe you should stick to lurking

These seemed an interesting sort of aggregator of alot of issues with the Democratic Party's election machine that aren't very well known, even if we all know the results:

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.ca/2014/11/why-did-democrats-do-so-badly-last.html

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.ca/2014/11/steve-israel-failed-miserably-this.html

Mostly, I miss Howard Dean.

"Lurk more," says the poster who joined this year, to the one who's been around since '06.

Yeah, lurking since 06. And comes out after his party gets destroyed and starts blasting people that have opposing views. Stating my belief and opinion on issues being discussed makes me a troll? Sounds awfully butthurt to me.

Yeah, lurking since 06. And comes out after his party gets destroyed and starts blasting people that have opposing views. Stating my belief and opinion on issues being discussed makes me a troll? Sounds awfully butthurt to me.

Speaking, I think, for most of the thread, I would be absolutely floored if you showed yourself capable of stringing together half as many sentences as the poster you're vapidly dismissing as "butthurt."

So you are saying that since you found this message board before he did your posts are more valid than his???

Ok, sure, whatever...

No, not at all, there are plenty of old-timers who post dogshit. It just seems a bit odd to tell someone with literally 12 times your tenure to lurk more.

edit: this is probably the part where I point out that he said it, and it's not me who picked this particular dumbshit fight, and right after is the part where you ignore that fact and cry like a tiny baby

I always respect 'those that came before', and I appreciate your perspective. But for the record

FLOW: left due his objections to the moderation, and issues with how people were treated that went against the grain.

Raids: Dropped her account, and when she tried to come back, she was told never to come back. I believe the phrase, 'I don't want to deal with the headache' was used by the moderator.

Not sure those were the best examples.

No, not at all, there are plenty of old-timers who post dogshit. It just seems a bit odd to tell someone with literally 12 times your tenure to lurk more.

Point being, if the only reason he steps out of the lurk curtain is to bash someone that doesn't hold his views, maybe he should go back into hiding.

Speaking, I think, for most of the thread, I would be absolutely floored if you showed yourself capable of stringing together half as many sentences as the poster you're vapidly dismissing as "butthurt."

Chicago rebuttal.... You ever get one of those? I'm sure your friends you keep calling to for help would love to hear it.

I always respect 'those that came before', and I appreciate your perspective. But for the record

FLOW: left due his objections to the moderation, and issues with how people were treated that went against the grain.

Raids: Dropped her account, and when she tried to come back, she was told never to come back. I believe the phrase, 'I don't want to deal with the headache' was used by the moderator.

Not sure those were the best examples.

Huh, didn't know that's why Raidne 2.0 stopped posting.

Point being, if the only reason he steps out of the lurk curtain is to bash someone that doesn't hold his views, maybe he should go back into hiding.

Looking at his profile and last several posts, that doesn't seem to be the case. I see stuff from Lit.

I don't know why I'm arguing with you, you have no interest in anything remotely constructive and your posts are, to put it mildly, bizarre. And I probably don't need to be fisking your false claims about other posters. I'm going to stop now.

Archived