Michael Brown Shooting Cont

Relic

I actually lived in Marina for a year, with a black family, but don't let that stop all your righteousness.

Are you implying that this somehow makes you an authority on racial discrimination in the US? Over people who have lived in ghettos for much longer stretches of time?

You imply that the people in this thread know nothing of ghettos compared to you

But I thought no white people lived there?

I am willing to bet very few people on this board have as much experience with ghettos as me, yes. Does that make me some sort of expert? Compared to some who have never set foot inside a project, yes it does. Does that make me an expert on black people? No. Never claimed to be.

I am willing to bet very few people on this board have as much experience with ghettos as me, yes. Does that make me some sort of expert? Compared to some who have never set foot inside a project, yes it does. Does that make me an expert on black people? No. Never claimed to be.

okay, let's just stop there.

You have this bizarre notion of who is on this board. You are wrong. This board is fairly diverse, not particularly wealthy or well off and very much based in the us. We have a number of boarders who have lived in poor areas their whole lives - and who actually are black. We have several others who grew up in ghettos. You are coming across as being exceedingly ignorant and arguing from a point of authority that you don't remotely have.

You might as well be saying that because you watched the wire you are more legit than us.

The topic of why so many black men are in prison is an incredibly complicated one. Your racism is a good reason for it.

Ok. And what would said reading teach me?

Really? I'm trying to be open minded. What don't I understand? I understand that there are good and bad people of every race and ethnicity. It just so happens that in the US the percentage of AA who are in prison is extremely higher than the percentage they make up in the population. That is a fact. There are reasons why. But facts are facts.

Nobody in this thread is disputing that fact. What people are discussing is the institutional racism involved when good and bad people of all races occur at basically the same rate, yet the prison population is disproportionately filled with minorities. And I'll give you a hint, it isn't because black ghettos exist....

Nobody in this thread is disputing that fact. What people are discussing is the institutional racism involved when good and bad people of all races occur at basically the same rate, yet the prison population is disproportionately filled with minorities. And I'll give you a hint, it isn't because black ghettos exist....

And the reason is? Is affirmative action not working ?

This thread has become something amazing.

Compared to other areas I lurk at on the internet, this thread is only surprising amazing in that it makes me glad there are so many people of good conscience on this board not putting up with it, yet still are being reasonably polite in their responses. Another reason I'm so happy having this forum be the main one I roam around on.

And the reason is? Is affirmative action not working ?

From an outside perspective affirmative action looks like a band-aid where a tourniquet is needed :dunno:

It isn't simple to re-move a system of oppression that has been in place for centuries, the effects linger.

From an outside perspective affirmative action looks like a band-aid where a tourniquet is needed :dunno:

It isn't simple to re-move a system of oppression that has been in place for centuries, the effects linger.

Effects such as?

Effects such as?

How about the overrepresentation of African Americans in the prison population as compared to the general population? You know, the fact that you've pointed to repeatedly, in support of your apparent belief that African Americans are just generally more predisposed to criminality than the rest of the population.

How about the overrepresentation of African Americans in the prison population as compared to the general population? You know, the fact that you've pointed to repeatedly, in support of your apparent belief that African Americans are just generally more predisposed to criminality than the rest of the population.

Generally more predisposed to commit crimes based on several factors, yes. Not genetically. If they could start life without having the deck stacked against them, the numbers wouldn't make my point.

Generally more predisposed to commit crimes based on several factors, yes. Not genetically. If they could start life without having the deck stacked against them, the numbers wouldn't make my point.

If you agree the deck is stacked against them, then why the fuck are you asking someone what are the effects of centuries of oppression?

If you agree the deck is stacked against them, then why the fuck are you asking someone what are the effects of centuries of oppression?

I was curious as to what they believed the effects were? Does that answer your fucking question? Or am I not allowed to ask a fucking question? Fuck

I was curious as to what they believed the effects were? Does that answer your fucking question? Or am I not allowed to ask a fucking question? Fuck

You'll just have to forgive me for not thinking that was a genuine question when it comes in the context of you obnoxiously asking someone else who referenced institutional racism if the cause was "affirmative action not working." To say nothing of all the rest of your stupid, combative bullshit.

Archived