Heresy 142 [World of Ice and Fire spoilers]

Black Crow

I played the new telltale GoT PC game yesterday, two things I noted that might be relevant to Heresy (minor spoilers ahead) :

Spoiler
At one point you play the young Forrester Lord who has to make a decision to name a new 'Sentinel' which seems to be a position similar to Hand. What's interesting is that the office goes along with a bracer engraved with runes. Whoever has the bracer is the Sentinel. Quite similar to how Mance gave out those golden armbands.

Than there is one mystery uttered by a dying northern Lord:
The North Grove Must Never Be Lost

This grove is later identified as being north of the Wall. I guess we learn more about it in later episodes.

There's a fairly strong impression that in the beginning she was pretty far down the food chain and just one among the many Red Priests sent out within the last hundred years.

I agree broadly with what this post is saying, but just a note on this part - Martin has confirmed in one of the SSM's that Melisandre wasn't sent west by the Red Temple, she came of her own accord, and has a more personal agenda. Perhaps semi-related, Martin has also said (post aDwD) that Melisandre is his most misunderstood character.

Hmmm...

I can't help but feel we're missing something here in so far as a game is being played which we can only catch glimpses of and although we can speculate as to the players, their motives and just as importantly their allegiances are uncertain. Bear with me on this one because it needs a lot more thinking through.

Varys

Comes from somewhere in Essos and professes to be a eunuch. The latter may be true, but there are plenty of real world precedents of individuals pretending to be eunuchs in order to rise high in the service of sultans and other eastern potentates employing eunuchs as their civil service, and we also have that curious detail of his voice deepening as he explains to Kevan Lannister why it is necessary for him to die. I have a strong suspicion that Rugen is his true face and everything else calculated to make others despise and underestimate him.

He behaves, in short, as if he might be a faceless man and this is strengthened by his link [as Rugen] to Jaqen H'gar.

He is apparently in alliance with Illyrio Mopatis and thereby connected to both the Aegon and the Danaerys Targaryen plots and ultimately perhaps to the dragons. Are Aegon and Danaerys the children Varys speaks of, or are the constant setbacks experienced by the Fat Man down to Varys secretly frustrating him at every turn just as he once brought about the downfall of the Targaryens.

Illyrio

Playing the game but not I think understanding what's really going on.

Littlefinger

A reputed connection to Braavos, which may not be what it appears. His grandfather was supposedly a Braavosi sellsword and who are we to doubt it, but given the cosmopolitan nature both of Braavos and of the sellsword business that is not to say he didn't originally come from Westeros and when we're talking about the Fingers we're also talking very much of the Sistermen and the web-fingered lot. Fingers seem to figure a lot.

His connection to Varys appears to boil down to hated rivalry, but is it too ostentatious? On the whole, given that we do know of his immediate origins and history from childhood upwards, I'm inclined to see him as Loki, the trickster - out for himself but exploiting the hidden game as well as the game of Thrones - and therefore inclined not to place much importance on the Braavos angle except perhaps in some kind of equally opportunistic link to the Iron Bank rather than to the Faceless Men.

Mance Rayder

And then there's Mance, of whom all I think we can say with any confidence is that he isn't who he pretends to be. He was picked up by the Watch as a young boy, the only survivor of a Wildling raiding party intercepted by the Crows. However that's not to say he was a Wildling born and Osha iis pretty scathing about this, making it very clear that he was not a Wildling born. So was he kidnapped? Most unlikely because then the Watch would have been rescuing him. Hence my suggestion he might have been a fugitive fleeing north and his apparent age would be consistent with his being a lost Blackfyre.

So why then his interest in Winterfell?

Is there a connection somewhere, or are all three rivals for a prize we know nothing about?

My takes for what they are worth:

1. Varys: a Targaryen or Blackfyre descendant from a line that was disinherited in the past (my best guess is a descendant of Aerion Brightflame, and possible a female of the Blackfyre line). I agree that he has spent at least some time in the House of Black and White, (enough to make him hate the sight of his Valyrian Blood). I have a very crackpot theory as to the reason behind the ritual that castrated him, but it would probably ruin my credibility to get into it. Finally if he is still in the employ of the FM, then he may also be working for the Iron Bank, in finding a new Prince to replace the current regime.

2. Illyrio: I have a different take than you do. I think Illyrio is GRRM's Prospero. I think the fact that he keeps Serra's hands in his bedchamber indicates he is a sorceror of sorts. I also have a sneaking suspicion that Illyrio may not be technically alive anymore (kind of crackpot). I also think that the blond haired blue eyed servants may be his children or grandchildren with Serra (the Blackfyre descendant). He is sort of a Craster in reverse, who openly invites his guests with Kingsblood to have sex with his girls. See: Tyrion and Viserys. ( If sorcery requires a sacrifice of Kingsblood, this may be the most effecient way to keep king's blood on hand. ) I think Young Griff may be his grandson, and I also have a sneaking suspicion that Daario may be as well. I don't think he's Targaryen but it wouldn't suprise me if he has a sprinkling of Targaryen blood in his background. My guess is he may be a descendant of House Lannister and/or House Redwyne. I think he's definitely in league with the Red Priests, and perhaps the Warlocks as well. Because of his affiliation with Varys, if Varys is still in the employ of the FM, then my guess is Illyrio counts them as an ally as well. I do think, however, that Illyrio and Varys may have some different (and possibly competing agendas). If there ends up being a leader of the "Fire Lot" I think it's Illyrio.

3. I think Littlefinger returned to Braavos some time after his humiliation and near death at the hands of Brandon Stark. I think he made a deal with the FM to be their Westeros agent, in exchange for something (probably having to do with revenge against the Starks). I think he may be a descendant of Rohanne Webber but I'm not exactly sure what the significance of that is. He must also have some connection with Harrenhall. If Varys is attempting to bring about a new regime in Westeros, Petyr's only objective may be to destroy the old ones (principally Stark and Lannister). I think Petyr may have his eyes on Sansa for a verys specific purpose having to do with Winterfell.

4. Mance Rayder. I think Mance may be the bastard son of the previous Lord Commander Qoryles. (likewise I think Rattleshirt may have been a bastard of Cotter Pyke). I think Mance may be in league with Coldhands/Bloodraven and a third unidentified co conspirator. I think Mance, Tormund, and Dalla may have been behind the White Walkers and herding the Wildlings to south of the Wall. The reason behind it is a good question. But I have a feeling that they may be intended as a mass sacrifice for something (bringing the Wall down?). I think it is at least possible that they may have also been a part of a plan that included Rhaegar/Hightwower/Oberyn that possibly involved bringing about the PTWP prophecy.

Speaking of Mance, and the notion that these children of Winterfell are "powers" sought after and/or collected by various players...

I was rereading a bit of ASOS, and got to this bit here:

Jon had joined the wildlings at Qhorin Halfhand's command. "Ride with them, eat with them, fight with them," the ranger had told him, the night before he died. "And watch." But all his watching had learned him little. The Halfhand had suspected that the wildlings had gone up into the bleak and barren Frostfangs in search of some weapon, some power, some fell sorcery with which to break the Wall... but if they had found any such, no one was boasting of it openly, or showing it to Jon. Nor had Mance Rayder confided any of his plans or strategies...

And it suddenly occurred to me: what if Mance really had gone up into the Frostfangs seeking, or waiting for, "some weapon, some power, some fell sorcery... to break the Wall" -- and that weapon was Jon?

Wouldn't that fit with the way we know prophecy and/or dreaming seems to work - at least in terms of how decisions made on the basis of such visions often seem to backfire, or precipitate just the scenario one hopes to avoid?

Mel gazes into her fires, and tells Stannis that if he sails to Storm's End, he'll win the best part of Renly's power. But that if he sails to King's Landing, "Renly would ride out of the south in his green armor to smash his host beneath the [city] walls." So Stannis sails to Storm's End... and ends up getting smashed beneath the walls of King's Landing by Renly's green-armored ghost.

Jeor Mormont takes his rangers north to the Fist, because he fears that "the cold winds are rising," "the darkness is coming," and he has "seen darker shapes in [his] dreams." He takes Jon with him because he's come to believe that Jon was "meant to be [t]here," and Qhorin takes the boy into the Frostfangs because "the old gods are still strong beyond the Wall. The gods of the First Men... and the Starks." Meanwhile, the entire ranging is organized, as a practical matter, to find out where Mance Rayder had taken the wildlings, and what they were up to. Eventually Qhorin commands Jon to yield himself to Mance - to join the wildling host, to learn what they sought in the mountains and whether they found it.

Turns out - Mance was looking (or waiting) for something in those mountains. And in the end, the only thing we know for sure they found up there was... Jon Snow himself.

That's a great observation, it would also once again line up with the Jon Snow is Lightbringer theory that is one of my personal favorites.

I agree broadly with what this post is saying, but just a note on this part - Martin has confirmed in one of the SSM's that Melisandre wasn't sent west by the Red Temple, she came of her own accord, and has a more personal agenda. Perhaps semi-related, Martin has also said (post aDwD) that Melisandre is his most misunderstood character.

What Martin said about Mel is wildly known,but it doesn't dismiss what is being said about her if one cares to look closely.At one point on the boards she was called fake,manipulator,prideful; i can go on and on. Her chapter shows a lot of vulnerability and it shows she absolutely believes what she's saying even though she herself takes a hand in making what she says true at times.i.e Lightbringer and the Seven. Again this is her interpretationat work here but if she knew as much as she did she would know Stannis stop praying to the seven when his parents drowned so they could never be his Nissa nissa.

Mel and the priest of Red Temple may think they have their own agenda without knowing they themselves are just part of someone else's or moving just the way the Fates conspire.She has said "she didn't come all this way to put another pretender on the throne" when speaking of Stannis (check that quote though for surety) so it seems she's been at this a while. What ever her motives i agree she has been misunderstood far from being this strong force she has some cracks in her armour.

Up to a point yes. Maester Yandel says the Red Priests have been coming for the last hundred years and I'm suggesting that given this tight timeline their real job has been to seek out Azor Ahai for the upcoming fixture. That's not to prevent Mel deciding of her own accord that he was to be found on Dragonstone and tooling up there of her own accord. As to the "misunderstood" business I think that relates to what has come out in ADWD. Prior to that she simply came across as a homicidal fanatic, now we've learned more and part of what we've learned in that insecurity. There's a very strong feeling of "I'll show them" in her internal dialogue and that she went to Dragonstone not because she was sent but because she wanted to prove that she is cleverer and more powerful than Benerro and the rest will give her credit for.

Up to a point yes. Maester Yandel says the Red Priests have been coming for the last hundred years and I'm suggesting that given this tight timeline their real job has been to seek out Azor Ahai for the upcoming fixture.

In this, I still see a problem, unless this theory accounts for Thoros being so low on the totem pole that he isn't part of the AA search (far from impossible, given that he's been a drunkard for a long time). Even so, Thoros is in the presence of a man who has been resurrected several times, bleeds fire, and can wield a flaming sword, yet we get no indication from Thoros that he believes he's found R'hllor's chosen messiah; no gearing up for the final battle, no attempts to wake dragons from stone. Instead, he's content to live as a glorified bandit.

Most of what we think we know about this supposed search for AAR comes courtesy of Mel, and in this regard, I think readers are placing too much emphasis on Mel's status as a Red Priestess, and not enough emphasis on her status as a Shadowbinder of Asshai. I'm not inclined to view shadowbinding and R'hllorism as naturally going hand-in-hand, and instead view them as a more secular faction; eg MMD trained with the shadowbinders, even though she worships the Great Shepherd.

I think Mel's views on who AAR is, and how she plans to capitalize on placing herself at AAR's side, has been shaped more by her time in Asshai than by the Red Temple. In particular, her obsession with waking dragons.

And, again, I'm not disagreeing with the broader point you're making about Mel; if anything, I think this still fits with Mel's insecurity, and operating with an "I'll show them" attitude in regard to the broader Red Priesthood. In fact, I think it's this underlying attitude that lead her to study in Asshai in the first place; Asshai, a city that seems more a destination for heretics and outsiders than your standard zealot.

I played the new telltale GoT PC game yesterday, two things I noted that might be relevant to Heresy (minor spoilers ahead) :

Spoiler
At one point you play the young Forrester Lord who has to make a decision to name a new 'Sentinel' which seems to be a position similar to Hand. What's interesting is that the office goes along with a bracer engraved with runes. Whoever has the bracer is the Sentinel. Quite similar to how Mance gave out those golden armbands.

Than there is one mystery uttered by a dying northern Lord:

The North Grove Must Never Be Lost

This grove is later identified as being north of the Wall. I guess we learn more about it in later episodes.

Is the game any good?

In this, I still see a problem, unless this theory accounts for Thoros being so low on the totem pole that he isn't part of the AA search (far from impossible, given that he's been a drunkard for a long time). Even so, Thoros is in the presence of a man who has been resurrected several times, bleeds fire, and can wield a flaming sword, yet we get no indication from Thoros that he believes he's found R'hllor's chosen messiah; no gearing up for the final battle, no attempts to wake dragons from stone. Instead, he's content to live as a glorified bandit.

Most of what we think we know about this supposed search for AAR comes courtesy of Mel, and in this regard, I think readers are placing too much emphasis on Mel's status as a Red Priestess, and not enough emphasis on her status as a Shadowbinder of Asshai. I'm not inclined to view shadowbinding and R'hllorism as naturally going hand-in-hand, and instead view them as a more secular faction; eg MMD trained with the shadowbinders, even though she worships the Great Shepherd.

I think Mel's views on who AAR is, and how she plans to capitalize on placing herself at AAR's side, has been shaped more by her time in Asshai than by the Red Temple. In particular, her obsession with waking dragons.

And, again, I'm not disagreeing with the broader point you're making about Mel; if anything, I think this still fits with Mel's insecurity, and operating with an "I'll show them" attitude in regard to the broader Red Priesthood. In fact, I think it's this underlying attitude that lead her to study in Asshai in the first place; Asshai, a city that seems more a destination for heretics and outsiders than your standard zealot.

I think the point about Thoros is that he was one of those younger sons who wasn't going to inherit and was too clever to go into the army but not clever enough for the law and so settled for being a country parson. He was at best just going through the motions and while suitably astonished at raising Beric Dondarrion and everything that followed from that he's too close to him and too aware of what the curse is taking out of his friend to do anything so silly as to proclaim him as Azor Ahai - and what's more although he's converted the Brotherhood I'd suggest that having seen it at first hand he may be a good deal less keen than Master Benero on this summer without an end in which those who die in the name of R'hllor will rise again.

Got to wonder whether she voyaged up the river and into the Heart of Darkness.

:agree: This is exactly how I view Mel as well, and I think the "I'll show them" attitude BC brings up strengthens such an interpretation. Thoros does not have this feeling of inadequacy - a need to 'prove himself' as it were. He accidentally stumbled into R'hllor's power when he woke his Hero (who's flaming sword not only emitted light, but intense heat). Thoros seems like he's just along for the ride, and does not bother with theatrics and proselytization as Mel does. Mel's need for validation finds her searching for the most-ultimate of ultimate Heroes - as a means to prove she is the ultimate Red Priest(ess), more than a mere shadowbinder, and more than just some random freed slave.

She may simply be the latter. And rather than running away with herself, I can't help but feel like R'hllorism is running away with her...

As a side-note, her meeting Thoros and stealing off with Gendry was one of the most annoying additions the show has had, for me at least. At first it smacked of lazy screenwriting and seriously offended. But, this may indeed be a spoiler as to the waking of Jon post-ADWD if D&D are privy to the details of his resurrection. Perhaps it was necessary to show Mel on screen learning there's real power in the Kiss, rather than just spreading her legs all the time.

One more thing re: R'hllorism...

On the boards it is often debated whether Dany and her dragons are the true Fire in the Song, versus Mel's shadowy Fire-god. We are often apt to see Jon, Bran, BR, Singers, and/or the North as Ice - or, in my un-heretical thinking, the Others...

But what if the Trees are Fire?

It has been oft-quoted, but I must do so again. From Bran, the final chapter of Clash when he emerges from the crypts to a sacked Winterfell with Jojen, Meera, Rickon, Osha, and Hodor (the direwolves were already without):

Summer howled, and darted away.

"The godswood." Meera Reed ran after the direwolf, her shield and frog spear to hand. The rest of them trailed after, threading their way through smoke and fallen stones. The air was sweeter under the trees. A few pines along the edge of the wood had been scorched, but deeper in the damp soil and green wood had defeated the flames. "There is a power in living wood," said Jojen Reed, almost as if he knew what Bran was thinking, "a power strong as fire."

Of course, defeated the flames, sounds very much like the power of Ice, but where do flames come from? The chemical power of living wood is stored carbon, which burns to create flame. I find myself remembering the burned bodies found in the mouth of the huge menacing weirwood (at White Tree?) on Jon's first ranging, the wildlings burn their dead, and we have seen the purpose in the eyes of the heart tree, but not yet seen the full purpose of the mouth... a power strong as fire... interesting word choice once again, Mr Martin.

ETA- I think it is worth considering the stark contrast of Jojen's words with Mel's, there is power in living wood, versus, there is power in king's blood. Both are seers of future events, but have quite different ideas as to the nature of a power such as fire and how one might access it.

One more thing re: R'hllorism...

On the boards it is often debated whether Dany and her dragons are the true Fire in the Song, versus Mel's shadowy Fire-god. We are often apt to see Jon, Bran, BR, Singers, and/or the North as Ice - or, in my un-heretical thinking, the Others...

But what if the Trees are Fire?

No convinced about this one at all; the whole problem was the hacking down and burning of weirwoods by successive waves of incomers.

Got to wonder whether she voyaged up the river and into the Heart of Darkness.

After the WB, I lean heavily toward the notion that she did. At the least, I'm certain that it's Asshai that shaped her interest in dragons, rather than her training as a Red Priestess. For all the emphasis the broader fandom places on that whole "I ask for AA, and all I see is Snow" portion of her POV, I'm almost certain that Dany is, and remains, the person that Mel intended to find. Unfortunately for her, she's still misreading the fires, and Dany seems to have been 'claimed' by Quaithe.

After the WB, I lean heavily toward the notion that she did. At the least, I'm certain that it's Asshai that shaped her interest in dragons, rather than her training as a Red Priestess. For all the emphasis the broader fandom places on that whole "I ask for AA, and all I see is Snow" portion of her POV, I'm almost certain that Dany is, and remains, the person that Mel intended to find. Unfortunately for her, she's still misreading the fires, and Dany seems to have been 'claimed' by Quaithe.

That, again I'm not so sure about. At no point does Mel discuss or express interest in dragons, internally or otherwise. I'd like to think she went up the river but can't help but feel that is she did she might display a bit more wisdom and perhaps a part of her inferiority problem may lie with her not going into the heart of the darkness which she so fears.

No convinced about this one at all; the whole problem was the hacking down and burning of weirwoods by successive waves of incomers.

Neither am I to be honest, only wanted to bring up another angle. And while I'm aware of the issue the Singers had with burning them down, that does not dismiss them as being part of the Fire in the Song. The way of the North was once the way of the South as well, pre-Andal. Weirwoods were once common south of the neck. It makes no sense that they be tied to Winter and not be equally tied to Summer. And while the Singers were horrified when waves of Men started to put their trees to the sword and flame, that is not sufficient to dismiss the power within them being connected to the Fire=Life side of things.

That, again I'm not so sure about. At no point does Mel discuss or express interest in dragons, internally or otherwise. I'd like to think she went up the river but can't help but feel that is she did she might display a bit more wisdom and perhaps a part of her inferiority problem may lie with her not going into the heart of the darkness which she so fears.

We learn from Davos (ASOS?) that Mel wanted king's blood (Robert's bastard) so that she might wake a dragon from stone. As to the latter, who can say how one might react once going into the heart. Quaithe may be a likely, and more confident and composed example, but so is Mel externally. We only know of her doubts thanks to her POV chapter. We have nothing of the sort for any other Asshai'i, so that visiting the shadowy heartland may just breed internal doubts for all we know. Now that I think about it, is there any POV which has not demonstrated doubt? I think not.

That, again I'm not so sure about. At no point does Mel discuss or express interest in dragons, internally or otherwise.

She overtly states that her plan to sacrifice Edric Storm is for the purpose of waking a dragon from stone. However, I can't quite remember whether she expresses similarly overt intentions regarding Mance Rayder's son (thus prompting Jon's switcheroo), or if I'm just inferring that, but I am certain she wants to wake a dragon.

Given her rather ominous proclamation that such shadows as she could bring forth at the Wall would be 'terrible,' I suspect she'll be fulfilling some corrupted version of her ambitions before long.

Neither am I to be honest, only wanted to bring up another angle. And while I'm aware of the issue the Singers had with burning them down, that does not dismiss them as being part of the Fire in the Song. The way of the North was once the way of the South as well, pre-Andal. Weirwoods were once common south of the neck. It makes no sense that they be tied to Winter and not be equally tied to Summer. And while the Singers were horrified when waves of Men started to put their trees to the sword and flame, that is not sufficient to dismiss the power within them being connected to the Fire=Life side of things.

I think the point is that Winter is an essential part of the natural cycle. At the most basic level without getting mystical frost is necessary to begin the germination of an acorn.

The children therefore have a connection to Ice which does not necessarily equate them with Ice and what's being suggested is that they called upon old allegiances to bring down the Winter in order to fight and have to live with the consequences of that.

I think the point is that Winter is an essential part of the natural cycle. At the most basic level without getting mystical frost is necessary to begin the germination of an acorn.

The children therefore have a connection to Ice which does not necessarily equate them with Ice and what's being suggested is that they called upon old allegiances to bring down the Winter in order to fight and have to live with the consequences of that.

Therefore? I'm afraid I don't follow. Are you saying the Children have a connection to Ice because in real life an oak tree may sometimes spring from an acorn after it has endured a frost?

Where I live we have many oak trees, and many more acorns. We may get a frost at my elevation once every 20 years or so, but nonetheless, the acorns germinate just fine. In fact, our indigenous oaks tend to sprout quite nicely after our annual bout of wildfires.

The Children feel northern to us as observers, now, only because they were driven from the south, and Northmen tend to follow the old gods as they do. Well that, and the fact that the only ones we've seen on-page live far north of the Wall, and Bran and co. had to climb the snowy hill surrounded by cold wights to reach them.

But, we cannot judge them by their present habitat alone. There is more to their heritage than the North and Winter and Ice. The Children are of the Reach as well, of the Riverlands, of Casterly Rock, and can no doubt trace some of their lineages to what is now King's Landing. The Children are just as southron as any Highgardener or Dornishman -- or far more so in truth.

Plus, D&D had Leaf shoot fireballs! LOL

Archived