Are selfie sticks tacky ?

Gneisenau

I haven't made up the rule for selfie sticks yet, I'm waiting for my favorite celebrity to tell me what to think.

Ooooh, who could it be? Let me guess, it must be...no, wait. Kanye??

Tell me I am wrong!

I suppose having to resort to a third party kind of limits the amount of pictures you can take, who can decide when too much is too much, and won't necessarily take 50 pictures of the same moment. It's easier to be unhinged when you take those pictures yourself as, as you said, you don't have to hassle someone to do it for you.

I suppose, but the difference between the two still seems pretty minor, and I think people overstate the supposed "tackiness" of selfies.

Ooooh, who could it be? Let me guess, it must be...no, wait. Kanye??

Tell me I am wrong!

I embraced them alongside Tom Hanks. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/tom-hanks-introduces-david-letterman-to-the-selfie-stick-watch-2015195

I suppose having to resort to a third party kind of limits the amount of pictures you can take, who can decide when too much is too much, and won't necessarily take 50 pictures of the same moment. It's easier to be unhinged when you take those pictures yourself as, as you said, you don't have to hassle someone to do it for you.

Goodness, I am so glad it's harder to get unhinged when others are taking photographs of you as opposed to when you do it yourself. Think of all those models! What if they had to take pictures of themselves? They'd all get unhinged! But wait...what about photographers spending all day taking photographs. Won't they become unhinged? Or is it simply about the motif, like, if you only photograph still life, that is more psychologically acceptable? And what about pictures of really cute kittens? I bet your average dose of those could get pretty high before you become unhinged.

We've been over this, photographs definitley steal a quanitfiable part of your soul*, and there's only so much soul out there (thinking of the horrifically limited recordings of Otis).

So really taking a selfie is the users choice, its their body/soul. But no one knows.if the souls go back to the photographer or what, in which case taking group selfies could be a soul harvesting enterprise. A shame the ACA effectively undercut the private studies on soul dynamics, but there ya go, big guvmint.

*shame I have to quote Zoolander so much because you all haven't internalized it.

Why do people view selfies as different from asking someone else take a photo for them? Isn't it precisely the same, minus the hassling of another person? I don't know about anyone else, but even before the selfie phase, the majority of photos me and my family took (not that we took many, like Sullen I don't like photos of myself) were of ourselves, only we'd ask other people to take these pictures for us. Don't really see this as all that different from a selfie tbh

I guess at tourist sites and stuff it is the same. When somebody mentions a selfie, the first thing I usually think of is a bathroom photo with a mirror, and I just find those silly.

Why I prefer to ask other people to take a photo of me instead of taking a selfie* is that I just find those pictures prettier. Mostly you can tell that a picture is a selfie from the position of the arm, they are sometimes in weird perspectives etc. I just find pictures where the same person is not juggling holding a camera and posing more aesthetically pleasing.

*Or really, I generally just take photos of other stuff. I do not find myself interesting enough that I would necessarily want myself photographed on every site I visit, there are always more interesting and prettier objects!

Larry. :lol:

*shame I have to quote Zoolander so much because you all haven't internalized it.

Damn, I saw you reference Zoolander before, but I must have got unhinged by all the selfies I have taken and I could not remember what it was all about.

What were we talking about again?

I don't really care one way or another, but I also don't feel obligated to respect anybodies space while they are taking selfies, especially in high traffic areas. Stick or no stick, if I need to walk by you and it's in frame, I'm walking by you and it's in frame. Ain't nobody got time for your vanity.

Swooping in to say that selfie sticks are an absolute embarrassment. I can't imagine the price tag it would take for me to take one in public for one evening. The amount of shame and humility I'd be feeling would surely be heart-attack-worthy. I recently saw a video my friend took in Times Square with one... Good god I cringed so hard.

Is taking a photo of yourself and your child as a keepsake for a fun experience also "tacky"?

Nope. Never, so why someone taking a silly photo with their friend using the front camera of their smart phone is considered 'tacky' I don't know.

In fact, with the invention of the stick and if we'd quit stigmatizing it, people would quit bugging strangers in public places (like me) to take pictures of their nerdy families and when I mess it up quit giving me mildly annoyed looks and making me take more until I get it right. I'm not a professional photographer! Get a selfie stick!

don't worry about it, just sit back and let all the male models explain it to you.

Well, that's a huge relief. I'm going to ask some of the nice male models to hold my selfie stick for a while. Or maybe that should be me holding his "selfie stick"...

Archived