Are selfie sticks tacky ?

Gneisenau

Okay, I'm not as young as I used to be, so it's only natural that, every now and again, I'll hear a term used by youngsters on the Internet that leaves me scratching my head. Usually when this happens, I'll just head on over to urbandictionary.com, where any confusion is cleared up in next to no time.

Not today. It would appear that the term 'pelfie' could, in fact, refer to any one of the following:

1. A penis selfie.

2. A vagina selfie

3. Pictures of stuff or money, taken and then shared online, so people can see and envy your property.

4. A selfie taken with (preferably refrigerated) pasta..

5. A photo of one's self taken whilst producing a number two on the lavatory. Also includes a shot of the product itself.

:eek: :ack: :blink:

:blink: :blink: ummm...okay, so I understood pelfie was probably 1or 2 but the rest? Are these even things? :lol:

My curiosity makes me want to google this, but I'm not sure I want to see pictures of the fifth

:blink: :blink: ummm...okay, so I understood pelfie was probably 1or 2 but the rest? Are these even things? :lol:

My curiosity makes me want to google this, but I'm not sure I want to see pictures of the fifth

Trust me, #5 is most definitely a thing. :ack: :ack: :ack:

Now that there is I think my problem with the whole concept. My problem with selfies aren't really a problem with them it is my problem with social media in general and also the internet in general and I guess I can't talk either because I'm as gulity as the next guy. The internet dragged the social contract into a barn and beat it half to death and the selfie shot it in the head.

Social media appears to be an endless echo chamber where our own likes and interests are reflected back towards us now the internet started this but social media made it an art form. As a result none of us can actually form an agrument or support what we are trying to say anymore its always some variation of

whos fault is that?
Haters just gonna hate

It must be nice living on a pedestal

Sorry 20 somethings these aren't supporting arguments

I think the root of cause of it is I just want to go somewhere and not have the guy sitting across from me have to pause the conversation to update his fucking facebook status. And just once can I go to a restaurant without 50 TVs on that no one is watching?

serious question - what is greater proof of my vanity?

The hours of my life and decent chunk of my income I devote to various aspects of grooming/beauty or the handful of times I upload photos of the results to social media? :p

I'm perfectly ok with being called vain, I'll take it over the years of my life I have no photographic record of at all because I was too ashamed of how Iooked.

Also from friends I enjoy compliments about anything the feel the need to compliment me on. 90% of the time if people are complimenting me on my looks what they are actually complimenting is an aspect of my self-expression that I have put at least some degree of time and effort into, why wouldn't I enjoy that complimented?

Now that there is I think my problem with the whole concept. My problem with selfies aren't really a problem with them it is my problem with social media in general and also the internet in general and I guess I can't talk either because I'm as gulity as the next guy. The internet dragged the social contract into a barn and beat it half to death and the selfie shot it in the head.

Social media appears to be an endless echo chamber where our own likes and interests are reflected back towards us now the internet started this but social media made it an art form. As a result none of us can actually form an agrument or support what we are trying to say anymore its always some variation of

whos fault is that?

Haters just gonna hate

It must be nice living on a pedestal

Sorry 20 somethings these aren't supporting arguments

Speak for yourself. I certainly don't believe that I can't form arguments. Maybe they don't on Twitter, for obvious reasons. But a significant part of the internet is about finding arguments. Granted these are often supporting arguments but that's basically how people as cliquish beings work in general (see Fox News) .

When I heard this was a "thing," my first reaction was: Oh. Cool! I take many, many pictures of my dog. If I could be in them WITH him, that would be... CRAZY GOOD! Then the only problem would be getting him to look at the camera on a stick. Maybe if I hung a hotdog on it next to the camera...

I do hate the word "selfie." It sounds stupid. But I don't see anything wrong with the concept of putting your camera in a better place to take a snapshot of yourself and/or yourself and friends or scenery. The only problem I could possibly have with it is if it was poking other people.

but even there, I agree with Elder Sis: a weapon/selfie stick would be the best thing ever.

Or you want to take a picture of you and your significant other in front of the Eiffel Tower and you don't want to hand your 600€ smartphone to a complete stranger (though one might argue that you can just as easily snatch a phone from a selfie stick and run away)

besides, you don't pose if you're talking a selfie at arm's lenght?

Okay, I realise that I wasn't really clear every picture you take with the object being aware of being depicted involves a minimum amount of "posing", what's irritating me is the cumbersome stick-carrying and amount of preplanning involved in using this tool.

Not at all! A pelfie is merely a specific type of photograph; the stick allows for aerial shots and wide angles.

And all the aforementioned thread really established was that it's perfectly fine to send penis pics, as long as you charge money for them.

I misunderstood, I thought you were using "stick" as a double entendre. And it's really sad that "everything" is okay as long as you do it professionally.

Okay, I'm not as young as I used to be, so it's only natural that, every now and again, I'll hear a term used by youngsters on the Internet that leaves me scratching my head. Usually when this happens, I'll just head on over to urbandictionary.com, where any confusion is cleared up in next to no time.

Not today. It would appear that the term 'pelfie' could, in fact, refer to any one of the following:

1. A penis selfie.

2. A vagina selfie

3. Pictures of stuff or money, taken and then shared online, so people can see and envy your property.

4. A selfie taken with (preferably refrigerated) pasta..

5. A photo of one's self taken whilst producing a number two on the lavatory. Also includes a shot of the product itself.

:eek: :ack: :blink:

I had to google it too, and I didn't scroll down as far as you did. I did think of pelvis at first (Elvis just turned 80, whereever he is nowadays), which turned out to be not that far off the mark.

Would people even post selfies if someone took out the like/comment system? Just a record of how many people have "seen" the picture in their feed.

edit: didn't need a quote

ya

i like knowing which makeup and hair looks best on me.

You know how I said XYZ is not a supporitng argument? Well niether is that.

But it does its own Facebook group feel free to like it

https://www.facebook.com/pages/i-hate-people-who-say-whatever/253116121828

whatever

Archived