Are selfie sticks tacky ?

Gneisenau

A question for the selfie-lovers: do you do it more for the pleasure of having a picture of yourself to remember a special moment by, or to upload them on to social media?

For me, it's part for sending to friends who are halfway across the globe - part "i'm feeling really cute today" and part "this was a fun night, let's take some stupid selfies to remember it"

however, you'd be hard pressed to find a single selfie on any of my social media accounts, just because I don't want complete strangers (my accounts are followed by a lot of people i don't know) to be able to comment on my looks. and also, my personal social media accounts are also my professional social media accounts and I don't necessarily want people I work with to see my drunken night on the town with half naked men.

that being said, I really don't mind people posting selfies on their social media accounts - if they're feeling cute, good for them.

Brilliant thought: Can the selfie stick also function as a weapon of sorts?

I carry a stick when I walk in the woods in case I run up on coyotes, wild hogs, dogs, etc. I would love to be able to beat them into submission and then take a selfie with them. Good times.

You're going to want to go with more of a performance model, maybe the "Selfie Hog-Walloper" or "Selfie Mayan Coyote Smasher".

First of all I'm just going to put out there that I don't think less of people who post a lot of selfies, so I'm not looking down upon anyone here... but since it is the subject of the thread I might as well give my honest impression of this phenomenon.

I think there is a difference between selfies shared directly with another person or a small group of people and selfies posted all over social media. I don't think selfies themselves are necessarily tacky. I think it is when you get social media involved that selfies begin to induce eye-rolling. There are always exceptions and the occasional selfie is not worthy of note, but I cannot escape the feeling that 99.9% of it is fishing for attention and validation. Here, everyone, here is a picture of my face. Here is a picture of me making a face. Here is a picture of my face in front of a landmark. Here is a slightly different facial expression. Do you love me yet?

I keep a social media account for only two reasons:

1. I live approximately 1,200 miles from my nearest relatives and the most efficient way to share photos with them is facebook. Even this makes me uncomfortable. I do it because people in my family ask me to do it when I go somewhere neat.

2. I've lived in a few different places and it is a great way to keep in touch with people who live in other countries or other parts of the US. I use facebook messenger all the time.

This is all just personal preference, but... a lot of attention makes me uncomfortable. I like to do my own thing, mostly under the radar. Posting here is fine. Even though I'm a fairly regular poster and some of you know me in real life, it is still semi-anonymous which is probably the only reason that I am a regular contributor. I want to be left alone as much as possible and there are approximately 6 people whose opinion of me I truly give a shit about. I do not want, need, or care about the validation of the people who I am facebook friends with - many of whom I barely actually know or have not seen in a loooong time. If I am going to willingly accept attention and recognition from people I do not know, it had better be for a major career or life achievement - and even then I probably won't love it. So, with my personal wiring explained - I have a hard time understanding the appeal of selfies - both for the viewer and the taker.

First of all I'm just going to put out there that I don't think less of people who post a lot of selfies, so I'm not looking down upon anyone here... but since it is the subject of the thread I might as well give my honest impression of this phenomenon.

I think there is a difference between selfies shared directly with another person or a small group of people and selfies posted all over social media. I don't think selfies themselves are necessarily tacky. I think it is when you get social media involved that selfies begin to induce eye-rolling. There are always exceptions and the occasional selfie is not worthy of note, but I cannot escape the feeling that 99.9% of it is fishing for attention and validation. Here, everyone, here is a picture of my face. Here is a picture of me making a face. Here is a picture of my face in front of a landmark. Here is a slightly different facial expression. Do you love me yet?

I keep a social media account for only two reasons:

1. I live approximately 1,200 miles from my nearest relatives and the most efficient way to share photos with them is facebook. Even this makes me uncomfortable. I do it because people in my family ask me to do it when I go somewhere neat.

2. I've lived in a few different places and it is a great way to keep in touch with people who live in other countries or other parts of the US. I use facebook messenger all the time.

This is all just personal preference, but... a lot of attention makes me uncomfortable. I like to do my own thing, mostly under the radar. Posting here is fine. Even though I'm a fairly regular poster and some of you know me in real life, it is still semi-anonymous which is probably the only reason that I am a regular contributor. I want to be left alone as much as possible and there are approximately 6 people whose opinion of me I truly give a shit about. I do not want, need, or care about the validation of the people who I am facebook friends with - many of whom I barely actually know or have not seen in a loooong time. If I am going to willingly accept attention and recognition from people I do not know, it had better be for a major career or life achievement - and even then I probably won't love it. So, with my personal wiring explained - I have a hard time understanding the appeal of selfies - both for the viewer and the taker.

Yup. I don't put my picture out there because it's just not how I want to interact with my friends and people. So when others are doing it, I'm all "okay". < scroll scroll scroll >

Again, it's me, it's not you.

I agree with everything in SJohn's post and want to give him a Like.

ETA: Also, agree with Balefont on that I would more appreciate to be complimented on something I am actually responsible for than my face.

Brilliant thought: Can the selfie stick also function as a weapon of sorts?

I carry a stick when I walk in the woods in case I run up on coyotes, wild hogs, dogs, etc. I would love to be able to beat them into submission and then take a selfie with them. Good times.

That is a good idea and also why your posts are cool. ;)

For me, it's part for sending to friends who are halfway across the globe - part "i'm feeling really cute today" and part "this was a fun night, let's take some stupid selfies to remember it"

however, you'd be hard pressed to find a single selfie on any of my social media accounts, just because I don't want complete strangers (my accounts are followed by a lot of people i don't know) to be able to comment on my looks. and also, my personal social media accounts are also my professional social media accounts and I don't necessarily want people I work with to see my drunken night on the town with half naked men.

that being said, I really don't mind people posting selfies on their social media accounts - if they're feeling cute, good for them.

Exactly, I do not use the fb account as anything professional, but I am friended with some people that I just had to do an assignment with or attended a class with and we friended each other for the convenience of messaging or something, but I do not know them that well and do not want them to see silly photos of myself or whatever, nor do I want to bother anybody with excessive posts. Half the things people post, I am not interested in and my life would not be diminished by not seeing them, and I apply the same standard to my own posts. I also do not necessarily want the different groups of friends to see the same thing - what might be interesting to some from this forum might seem stupid or unnecessary to some people I know from school. So I much prefer sharing things just with those who I know will appreciate it/will be interested. And I do not think anybody would be interested in my face.

You're going to want to go with more of a performance model, maybe the "Selfie Hog-Walloper" or "Selfie Mayan Coyote Smasher".

I need to get on that. I also need to start carrying my phone with me so that I can make 'wildlife selfies' with the critters.

Look. I don't do selfies because I don't want people looking at me. I'm self conscious about certain aspects of my appearance. But I don't judge harshly those people that do this. I'm assuming they're not judging my photos of dinosaurs, my flowers, or my dog. If they are, they can hide me from their newsfeed.

Live and let live, man.

ETA: I love compliments but they don't mean much to me when they're about how I look. I'd rather you compliment my brain or my cleaning skills, personally. 😁

Selfies aren't tacky...I don't trust asking other people to take s picture of me with my new iPhone 6. Sorry. Sometimes there's a language barrier.

Do I think that selfie sticks are a little weird? Sure.

Until I find myself in need of one, and then I curse mysrlf for not having bought one from that street vendor in Istanbul.

This is my attitude as well. I had a friend visit me in London and we too photos of ourselves rather than.ask other people to. I'd rather not risk my valuables thanks.

I have no real issue with selfies, though the name is admittedly irritating to me. Selfie sticks just.seem kind of pointless though, you are getting what, 30cm extra distance? :dunno:

Archived