Self Published Author Doesn't Like Bad Reviews. Cue Hilarity.

Darth Richard II

Say what you will. The author is at least coming off pretty level-headed.

It looks to me like she stumbled out the gate with something that still needed work, got some negative reviews, got a little taste off reality and some constructive support from other authors. Compared to Kathleen Hale or Benjanungate, this is nothing.

She has room to get better.

I read the blurb and I'm not quite sure why she is capitalizing every other word, and especially the word Teenager.

Also, did I read that wrong or is the story actually about some girl hooking up with a f***ing dragon?

Just think how this work will tarnish the name of Authors like VSB. It's just terrible.

Edit: because Author requires capitalisation, apparently.

Sounds like someone who can't acknowledge flaws in their writing running into people who can't acknowledge flaws in their reviews. Pot meets kettle - let the battle commence.

No, it's people making fun of super-special-snowflake bullshit.

"Don't post anything under 4 star reviews unless you consult with me directly!" - entitlement issues.

What's really funny is that the book excerpt on Amazon is at least semi-edited by I'd assume a pro-for-hire, but then she went full on ineptitude with the blurb.

That blurb! I was having a shit morning at work, and then I read it. Mood transformed!

I'm not even going to comment on the grammar fail; I was stuck on the fact that this seems to have been made up while written: Shanlia (or whatever) spends her entire life getting prepared for her role as wife of HGD, yet she doesn't seem to realise dragons exist at all until later? But when she turns a Teenager it seems, that the Old Scriptures are right. Compared to what she had thought, Dragons really exist.

WTF?

Pure brilliance.

Yep.

eta: oh hey, one of the reviewers on GR had the foresight to copy it for posterity in his review -

DRAGONBRIDE

The Dragon Chronicles Book #1

(©Copyright by Raani York)

Shalima, “Daughter of the Light” and is born under special circumstances, is raised by her Aunts instead of her mother because she needs to be prepared to fulfil the “Old Scriptures”, which tell us, that she is the only Magician on Earth.

Her Aunts carefully prepare her for her obligations and her duty: she will have to get married to the “Holy Golden Dragon”, the King of the Dragons, a huge Earth Dragon with magical talents. She is prepared by her “Master” in Magic and grows up with witchcraft in her life as normality. Her Aunts are witches.

She cannot believe that she is the “Chosen One”, who has to protect the Dragon Species, the Nature and finally the Earth. But when she turns a Teenager it seems, that the Old Scriptures are right. Compared to what she had thought, Dragons really exist.

There were three different kinds of Dragons. The big Earth-Dragons living in the mountain caverns, the Fire-Dragons living in volcanoes and the Water-Dragons feeling most comfortable in lakes and rivers.

The Earth-Dragon was a beautiful huge creature, growing in length up to 90 feet. His scales shimmered from emerald green over rust red until deepest black. There were some extremely rare examples whose scales showed an unexplainable purple, but obviously at the moment the „Red Earth-Dragon“became pronounced extinct.

The Water-Dragon was a conceited, extremely elegant creature, built a little bit smaller and more fragile than the Earth-Dragon. His scales went from silver grey over turquoise and ocean blue up to the deepest midnight blue, which gave him a sparkling cool beauty.

By the development of his back legs to fins his suffered a little bit under the limited ability to fly, but in his element, the water, he was of unprecedented elegance. He only went for short flights and only for nutrition, since he felt most comfortable in his home under water.

The Fire-Dragon had hardly ever been seen by humans. He lived in places, unreachable for people, usually volcanoes or the burning inside of the Earth. There the Dragon-Father had his court and there also the rutting and intercourses took place, rituals never been seen by any human being.

The colors of his scales went from lemon yellow over orange up to the darkest wine red. The Fire-Dragon had to take care for his scales with his oily spittle to beware them from drying out by the constant heat.

And finally there was the Holy Golden Dragon. He was a huge Earth-Dragon with scales shimmering like gold in the pure sunlight. The King of the Dragons. Smart, a little bit cunning, but good and protecting the humans...

Only he had the right to father his descendants with a very special human woman. This woman was the only magician and was only born once in a century.

As soon as the two were married the magician usually moved in with the Dragons to be with her husband and support him... She also protected the Species of the Dragons which was really in danger by the low hunt instincts of the human beings.

Under hunters and warriors it was an absolute highlight to kill a dragon. The magician would also be the one protecting the Dragons and her husband the Golden Dragon, to protect the nature, fight demons and hold her hand over humans and animals...

After their marriage Shalima lives with her husband, the Holy Golden Dragon in the Dragon’s Empire and fulfils her duty when they discovered an old parchment roll which announced the End of the World. A terribly evil creature would overtake the Earth if they didn’t act. And they did act. They leave the Dragon’s empire to look for helpers, for keys to rescue the world and for their own little army to fight the evil.

When the battle takes place the Holy Golden Dragon loses his life and the Dragon Species dies. Shalima is left back with the Dragon’s last present: His children...

so yeah ...

That blurb is really horrible. It just made it onto my list of worst-things-I've-ever-read. I think I even see plot holes...before reading the book, and I know everything that happens....before reading the book. I now know every type of dragon there is, including mating habits...before reading the book. I get the ending...before reading the book. That's really special.

Edit: I know that the protagonist is a reluctant hero...before reading the book.

Archived