NFL Championship weekend part 2: Seahawks soar, Packers choke

Trebla

Is this the Super Bowl everyone wanted, yet nobody really wanted?

There's something very boring about the two best teams playing each other in the Super Bowl. Doubly so when it is two teams that are so easy to dislike.

And the reasons Pats fans reacted the way they did was because all last week they had to hear little snide comments about Spygate and cheating because Harbaugh acted like a play that was completely 100% legal was somehow against the rules, when the reality was that he got outsmarted. So then this week they have to hear the same thing because there may or may not have been a deflated ball in a game, when the Indianapolis reporter who broke the story, and the Colts franchise, already made statements about how it had no impact on the game.

And this all comes back to the one time they actually did break a rule, which was only emphasized in a memo sent out that year, in a single game in 2007. A rule that realistically had no impact on anything they've ever done because it was about the location of a camera and not the existence one. A rule that Super Bowl winning coaches (Jimmy Jones and Cowher) have came out and defended Belichick saying that they did the same thing and knew that "everybody in the league did this". Direct quote. A rule that the coach from the Jets who reported it, has since came out and said he regretted even bringing it to the attention of the NFL because of how out of proportion the reaction was. A rule other teams have before and since been guilty of violating and didn't get nearly the reaction from the media or NFL for breaking. And, quite frankly, a rule that most fans couldn't even tell you what the actual violation was.

So while I somewhat agree with you that a lot of Patriots fans react without tact to this sort of thing, a lot of it is a result from having to hear the word Spygate or cheaters every time their favorite team wins a game and having to listen to a week of the media making a controversy out of any little thing another coach complains about.

Welcome to the board :)

As I said, the scheme against the Ravens was great and I think the boarders of this forum were very appreciative of how the hoodie bamboozled a very good coaching staff. The video related controversy (I am avoiding the S word) happened because NE broke a rule and was penalized for it. Support from superb owl winning coaches does not change that. On the NFL thread, boarders use the S word from time to time in jest. And yes, we remind the NE fans that they have not won the SB since the S incident.But I have not seen anyone (at least members who are frequent posters) going on record saying that the Pats won the SBs because they were cheaters. Or they have failed to win a SB since because they are not allowed to "cheat" any more. Resident Pats homer (aka rockroi) alludes to Manning using HGH in many of his posts along with numerous other snide comments. I have not seen anyone up in arms about that. In fact we enjoy some of his OTT posts. It is part of the fun of the NFL thread. Fat bastard (aka the QB of the steelers) is vilified mercilessly. Other than one heated incident, I have not seen anyone trying to defend him. Same goes for deer antler etc etc. But nothing riles a fan base like the S word. Why is that?

As I said, the scheme against the Ravens was great and I think the boarders of this forum were very appreciative of how the hoodie bamboozled a very good coaching staff. The video related controversy (I am avoiding the S word) happened because NE broke a rule and was penalized for it. Support from superb owl winning coaches does not change that. On the NFL thread, boarders use the S word from time to time in jest. And yes, we remind the NE fans that they have not won the SB since the S incident.But I have not seen anyone (at least members who are frequent posters) going on record saying that the Pats won the SBs because they were cheaters. Or they have failed to win a SB since because they are not allowed to "cheat" any more. Resident Pats homer (aka rockroi) alludes to Manning using HGH in many of his posts along with numerous other snide comments. I have not seen anyone up in arms about that. In fact we enjoy some of his OTT posts. It is part of the fun of the NFL thread. Fat bastard (aka the QB of the steelers) is vilified mercilessly. Other than one heated incident, I have not seen anyone trying to defend him. Same goes for deer antler etc etc. But nothing riles a fan base like the S word. Why is that?

Word.

Hi. Thanks.

I wasn't referring specifically to this board, just in general. I've been a lurker for awhile so I know it really isn't like that here.

But as to your last question, Boston fans man. Culture shock from going to the Red Sox being the univererses greatest losers, Pats getting smacked out by the 85 Bears, the Celtics falling apart after the Len Bias fiasco to the rise of BB and TB, the big 3, and the recent Red Sox. Very defensive of our sports teams.

That's funny, since last year Jaime and others were lamenting how rarely chalk made it to the superb owl. Now it happens twice in a row and everyone's all bored of it.

Not me. I think this is the best shot we get at a close game. I think the Pats likely roll any of the other NFC potentates. It sucks from a rooting perspective in that there's no clear underdog, or sympathetic narrative.

Word.

Hi. Thanks.

I wasn't referring specifically to this board, just in general. I've been a lurker for awhile so I know it really isn't like that here.

But as to your last question, Boston fans man. Culture shock from going to the Red Sox being the univererses greatest losers, Pats getting smacked out by the 85 Bears, the Celtics falling apart after the Len Bias fiasco to the rise of BB and TB, the big 3, and the recent Red Sox. Very defensive of our sports teams.

:cheers:

In other news, I fear for Pete Carroll

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/159387/bill-belichick-calls-pete-carroll-a-friend

When the hoodie calls you a friend, it's time to start running.

That's funny, since last year Jaime and others were lamenting how rarely chalk made it to the superb owl. Now it happens twice in a row and everyone's all bored of it.

Yeah, i don't get it. If my team's not in it, give me the best against the best, even if I don't personally like the teams involved. And make no mistake this Superbowl has no protagonist in my view. No sympathetic favorite. It's fucking Alien vs. Predator. But I'm sick unto death of the fluke Superbowl teams we got year after year for half a decade. It's like what did I just watch 17 weeks of football for? To then see some 9-7 team that every metric agrees is utter shit go on and either win or almost win a Superbowl? Feels undeserved. Once every now and then it's great to have an underdog go all the way. But when it happens. every. freaking. year. It loses all of its appeal.

I get that Seattle's win was somewhat flukish, somewhat Mike McCarthyish. But it made for an entertaining as fuck ending Sunday and there's little question of Seattle's overall legitimacy. And whoever wins two weeks from now, they're gonna have beaten a great team. Plus the storylines in this one are freaking fantastic. Carroll vs. the team that fired him, Tom Brady's legacy, Russell Wilson stealing Tom Brady's "winner" mantle. the recontinuation of one paused dynasty vs. the start of a new one. Bring it on, I say.

In another sport I would agree, in the NFL where injuries, momentum and cohesion REALLY matter, its a different affair

And luck. Don't forget basic "holy shit we pulled that one out of our ass" luck.

In the NBA the most dominant team basically always wins the title. In the NFL, for awhile, that virtually never happened. Any Given Sunday. There's gotta be a happy medium somewhere between the two. Maybe we're getting there now with a return to chalk.

And luck. Don't forget basic "holy shit we pulled that one out of our ass" luck.

In the NBA the most dominant team basically always wins the title. In the NFL, for awhile, that virtually never happened. Any Given Sunday. There's gotta be a happy medium somewhere between the two. Maybe we're getting there now with a return to chalk.

Aye, but you must admit, there is some REEEEL BEAUTY to this.

Archived