NFL Championship weekend part 2: Seahawks soar, Packers choke

Trebla

This happens with every team. People talk about the Hawks using Adderall, Peyton being a choke artist, Roethlisberger for whether or not he raped two women, the Broncos for cheating the salary cap, the Ravens for deer antler spray, the 70's Steelers using steroids. Eventually as a fan you gotta stop rising to the bait. Believe me it's something I still fail at. Patriots fans are their own worst enemies concerning Spygate, because they always respond.

To be fair, 'people' here basically means Rockroi.

Also to be fair, 'people' here basically means Rockroi.

I don't think that's fair. I've got LoveRock's back in a lot of those claims.

Manning is a choker.

The Seahawks use 'adderall'.

Ray Lews had frankly unbelievable healing powers.

And Roethlisberger is probably a rapist.

I bring up every one of those specifically because everyone always brings up Spygate. I usually say so right in my posts.

Though, to be fair, Manning being a choker in the playoffs is well within the rules.

Keep up the good fight, babe.

Fat bastard (aka the QB of the steelers) is vilified mercilessly. Other than one heated incident, I have not seen anyone trying to defend him. Same goes for deer antler etc etc.

Ah, the famous 'Everyone wants a piece of the champ' guy. Easily the most disgusting thing I've read outside of the politics thread. Where'd that fucktard scurry off to anyways?

i have a complaint to register.

Rockroi, you put such effort into that eloquent post in the last thread where you rose above all the petty envious fans of other teams who are forced to come up with complaints about those who win, excuses for why they lose and tinfoil theories so they can sleep without the protective shadow of a hooded genius watching ver them. You even auditioned as a prophet, predicting that in the event N.E. ends the year on a loss, you would take it on the chin like the exemplary man/fan that you are.

I was moved. I questioned myself as a fan. I searched through my closet to see if I secretly hid Pats jerseys underneath the clothes I was willing to own up to. I got into arguments with friends and relatives about the meaning of life. Good post, iow.

My problem isn't with all the posts before and after that monster where you complain about the way others have won, excuses for why the Pats lose or conspiracy theories about how everyone plans their day around invalidating the essential truth of NE Supremacy. That's just there for spice; I know unlike everyone else, you only do it ironically or to reference others doing it first. I know that if New England loses in controversial fashion you will only feel compelled to comment because it's an especially controversial controversy.

My problem is that you don't put in equal effort. Like 'the worst holding calls in history' might serve as an okay excuse for losing a SB for the kind of average fan you point out needs excuses to feel okay with his lack of patriotism, but for you it seems inadequate. i want grandiose! I want excuses centred on the bedrock belief that the Patriots Matter Moar. I want to feel ashamed for not seeing how much more your excuses excuse until you point it out. I want to feel small minded for thinking it hilariously hypocritical for one man to devote time in one thread to Pat(!)ting himself on the back for not needing excuses while in others offering up plenty of...imitations of the kinds of excuses lesser fans would use. I want sounds so loud as to drum out that little voice inside whispering 'anyone who is really enjoying themself doesn't need to keep telling people how much he's enjoying himself.'

Come on man. Save me from myself. I want my eyes to bleed as I read Patriots excuses. I don't want to feel you are just showing us how you might sound if you were not who you really are, kinda half-assing steroid speculation or Goodell Hates Us-isms. That's beneath you, down here with all the rest of us.

Rock has been defending Wilfork's elbow since it dropped on JP Losman's knee. :P

Hey, don't be talking shit about Wilfork, he saved a drunk woman's life last night.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/12194931/vince-wilfork-helps-trapped-motorist-new-england-patriots-afc-championship-game-victory

But I'm sick unto death of the fluke Superbowl teams we got year after year for half a decade. It's like what did I just watch 17 weeks of football for? To then see some 9-7 team that every metric agrees is utter shit go on and either win or almost win a Superbowl? Feels undeserved.

I haven't observed all of them, but for the Giants and the Ravens, the lousy seasons followed by Superb Owl wins are not flukes, they're the result of a successfully executed, deliberate strategy. The basic idea behind it is that even with modern medicine, the human body cannot perform at its peak for months on end. The teams with 11+ wins typically play at close to peak (though not quite there) for the entire season and then try for a slightly better state (but still not at peak) for the playoffs. On the other hand, the Giants and Ravens and maybe some others do not try to win the regular season. Their aim is to play just well enough to squeeze into the playoffs. It doesn't always work, but when they do get through, they're quite capable of beating supposedly better teams because the latter are not in the same physical condition.

Jonathan Martin is a crime fighter in his off hours. Still can't pass protect worth a damn, but it's an admirable hobby.

I haven't observed all of them, but for the Giants and the Ravens, the lousy seasons followed by Superb Owl wins are not flukes, they're the result of a successfully executed, deliberate strategy. The basic idea behind it is that even with modern medicine, the human body cannot perform at its peak for months on end. The teams with 11+ wins typically play at close to peak (though not quite there) for the entire season and then try for a slightly better state (but still not at peak) for the playoffs. On the other hand, the Giants and Ravens and maybe some others do not try to win the regular season. Their aim is to play just well enough to squeeze into the playoffs. It doesn't always work, but when they do get through, they're quite capable of beating supposedly better teams because the latter are not in the same physical condition.

You really think it's a deliberate strategy? Eli playing Elisha and Flacco being the flaccid possum? I seriously doubt that.

You really think it's a deliberate strategy? Eli playing Elisha and Flacco being the flaccid possum? I seriously doubt that.

Totes agrees. That's insanity talking. The Giants and Ravens don't have a habit of resting players for stretches, they just match up well against good teams and fail to execute vs bad teams.

Yes, I think so. I don't mean that they rest their starters or play at less than their best when on the field, but the physical conditioning regimen is designed for best performance during the playoffs even if this is at the cost of the regular season.

Not me. I think this is the best shot we get at a close game. I think the Pats likely roll any of the other NFC potentates. It sucks from a rooting perspective in that there's no clear underdog, or sympathetic narrative.

Essentially this is what I was driving at in my previous post.

Is this the Super Bowl everyone wanted, yet nobody really wanted?

Nope. I never want to see the Pats in the SB, even if they get blown out in two weeks. As for Seattle, meh, I just don't really care about them either way; they only get my support because of the opponent.

I would've liked to see Denver make it, if Manning was still capable of playing QB that is. And I wanted the Lions to make it. Because it'd be fun to see what disasters nature starts cooking up to ensure that the Lions don't win and cause the world to end.

Yes, I think so. I don't mean that they rest their starters or play at less than their best when on the field, but the physical conditioning regimen is designed for best performance during the playoffs even if this is at the cost of the regular season.

Is this your opinion or do you have any tangible evidence supporting this? I am really curious. I consider myself fairly well informed regarding NFL. This is the first time I am hearing this and finding it quite incredible!

My problem is that you don't put in equal effort. Like 'the worst holding calls in history' might serve as an okay excuse for losing a SB for the kind of average fan you point out needs excuses to feel okay with his lack of patriotism, but for you it seems inadequate. i want grandiose! I want excuses centred on the bedrock belief that the Patriots Matter Moar. I want to feel ashamed for not seeing how much more your excuses excuse until you point it out. I want to feel small minded for thinking it hilariously hypocritical for one man to devote time in one thread to Pat(!)ting himself on the back for not needing excuses while in others offering up plenty of...imitations of the kinds of excuses lesser fans would use. I want sounds so loud as to drum out that little voice inside whispering 'anyone who is really enjoying themself doesn't need to keep telling people how much he's enjoying himself.'

Come on man. Save me from myself. I want my eyes to bleed as I read Patriots excuses. I don't want to feel you are just showing us how you might sound if you were not who you really are, kinda half-assing steroid speculation or Goodell Hates Us-isms. That's beneath you, down here with all the rest of us.

I ... I promise to ... to do ... better?

I am disappointed. I expected big Vince to physically lift the SUV. I will give him some style points for lifting her with one hand.

That's a viable strategy in European football and Basketball, where most injuries seem to stem from wear and tear and exhaustion, but injuries in football seem far too random for that to work. Not too mention in football, giving less than total effort can easily cause more injuires to your team. Is there evidence that the Giants and Ravens preventatively (word?) plays star players less often in the regular season. i.e. limit a players snaps before he's injured?

Yeah this is definitely feels like an after-the-fact attempt to make sense of a highly unlikely event. These teams won therefore they did X. There's just no evidence for it.

The 2012 Ravens lost 4 of their 5 games. The 2011 Giants were outscored by their opponents. Both were a little too successful at not being good. It'd be nice to believe either simply wasn't trying but football isn't a game that can be played half-heartedly. That's how guys actually get hurt.

What is demonstrable is the ability of Flacco and Eli to raise their play in playoff games. Other guys feel more pressure; they seem to feel less. The rest? The more likely explanation is the right tweak to raise a unit's overall play. Like Clay Matthews positional switch making GB's D much better or the Giants 4 Aces package back in the day.

What is demonstrable is the ability of Flacco and Eli to raise their play in playoff games. Other guys feel more pressure; they seem to feel less. The rest? The more likely explanation is the right tweak to raise a unit's overall play. Like Clay Matthews positional switch making GB's D much better or the Giants 4 Aces package back in the day.

And when you stop and think about it, we were likely one play away from having a #6 seed rise up on the AFC side this year. And the Seachickens had to pull a minor miracle out of Mike McCarthy's ass in order to give us the #1/#1 matchup.

It's not like this came easy.

So after a full day of reflection, and just over a week of deep depression, I have come to the conclusion that in some alternate universe my Cowboys easily win the Superbowl this year when a referee actually calls the games with the rules written in the NFL playbook.

OK... That said, I am back in the anger phase of my dealing with grief...

Archived