Characters that never met who would be the best of friends if they had

James Steller

Luwin, Aemon and Cressen

Blackfish and Barristan (they know each other but we haven't seen them together yet)

Genna Lannister & Myranda & Olenna

Davos & Septon Meribald & Jon Snow & Gendry

Bobby B & Strong Belwas

Old Nan & Shireen

Asha & Lyanna & Ygritte

I wish Dany had met Aemon. That's would have been the most beautiful reunion, Aemon would have been so happy to see a great grandchild of Egg. Imagine the stories he could have told her!

Dany is just crying out for a mother figure... honey, the Green Grace isn't what you need. I think Dany actually appreciates people being protective of her, so long as it isn't creepy or smothering (looking at you Ser Jorah). I think she'd have enjoyed a mother like Catelyn... someone to brush her hair, to tell her she's beautiful, and to show her how to be a lady. And I bet she'd have amazing banter with the Queen of Thorns.

And she does love her brother... she should have a younger guy around her who isn't trying to get into her pants. I love that she's built her own little family; a sister in Missandei, a father in Ser Grandfather. I think Dany would enjoy getting to know Jon even if they don't end up together.

This whole thread seems to assume that people who are similar are likely to become "best of friends".

IMHO, very often the opposite happens: when anyone meets someone too similar to themselves, they tend to see the worst in them rather than becoming instant besties.

For instance, I think Jon and Gendry would likely find it very hard to be friends because they are so similar ; neither is talkative enough to attempt actual communication, and only dire circumstances would make them buddies.

Joff and Ramsay would kill each other in less than a week. Same goes for Joff and Viserys. Come on, that's really obvious.

Same with Brandon Stark and Oberyn, who would likely challenge each other to a duel in a matter of hours.

Arya, Dany, and Asha are too strongheaded to become BFF, though they might become friends under the right circumstances. They're just as likely to kill each other though.

It's a bit different for kids, who can more easily relate, and/or find father/mother figures. Shireen and Sweetrobin might bond on innocence alone.

The proud boastful type (Robert B., Tormund, the Greatjon) would certainly start off as enemies/rivals, but could easily bond over booze/women if they have the opportunity.

At any rate, characters are more likely to relate when they don't share too much. People who are very similar can be friends, but it takes something else to be "BFF".

Ser Gregor Clegane and Ramsay Bolton.

They both like a lot of the same hobbies and have a bit in common. I can see Gregor sort of being like a mentor for Ramsay.

Another example would be Lyanna Stark and Brienne of Tarth I think. From what you heard about Lyanna she wasn't all too fond about her role as a noble woman. She would rather hunt and fight like the men did so just like Brienne does now.

It's HBO!Brienne that is contemptuous of femininity. Book!Brienne would actually like to be a proper noble woman, or, at least, treated like one. I'm not sure Lyanna and Arya, who sort of have the opposite issue, would relate to her all that well.

I don't get why so many people are putting characters together, just because they are noble women that don't fit the role too well; Arya is a little girl and wild, Asha and Brienne are grown women and wouldn't have time for such. Arya would probably hate Asha off the bat because she was involved in the invasion of the north. What's more they are all outside the standard that is expected for noblewomen for different reasons, Arya simply doesn't like it, Asha's behaviour was encouraged by Balon, Brienne tried to be a lady but it didn't work out. It seems a little far fetched to assume that they would all get on wonderfully, sitting down talking about women's liberation and burning their bras.

I don't think we can assume sadistic characters would get along either, Joffrey and Ramsay simply like being in charge too much.

I like Jon and Davos but I see no reason for Jon and Gendry, they may both be bastards, but don't have any real shared experience from it, Gendry lived as an orphan, Jon was raised in a castle, Jon never had to deal with poverty, Gendry never had to deal with an unpleasant stepmother. (no offence Catelyn fans)

Archived