Wow, I never noticed that... v.10

Lost Melnibonean

What's a wargimagus?

Combination of a warg and an animagus which is from Harry Potter.

Yep. There is one character in HP who had a pet rat who lived for around 13 years (and no one thought this was odd...). It turned out the rat was in fact a man in hiding who had transformed himself into a rat (Animagus) to fake his death.

Just realized that every Aegon following the Conqueror each did something disasterous, leading to their ultimate fall.

Aegon II-Created the most bloody civil war for the Targaryens. Caused the loss of most of the dragons for the Targaryen family. Wiped out several in the family line.

Aegon III-Witnessed, or possibly caused, the death of the last dragon. This would mark the beginning of the realizations that the Targaryens were now no longer able to rule over the peoples of Westeros any different than any other kings, with no WMDs.

Aegon IV- Caused a civil war simply by the bastards he spawned. Would lead to 4 more civil wars following this, simply due to giving the ancestral sword to his favorite bastard.

Aegon V-Supposedly attempted to hatch a dragon, provoking the Tragedy at Summerhall. Caused the line of Jaehaerys II to take over, leading to the ultimate rule of Aerys II and the fall of the targaryen kings.

And now we look to you, Aegon VI/Aegon Blackfyre. How will you devastate Westeros?

Good observation

Never caught that

Just realized that every Aegon following the Conqueror each did something disasterous, leading to their ultimate fall.

Aegon II-Created the most bloody civil war for the Targaryens. Caused the loss of most of the dragons for the Targaryen family. Wiped out several in the family line.

Aegon III-Witnessed, or possibly caused, the death of the last dragon. This would mark the beginning of the realizations that the Targaryens were now no longer able to rule over the peoples of Westeros any different than any other kings, with no WMDs.

Aegon IV- Caused a civil war simply by the bastards he spawned. Would lead to 4 more civil wars following this, simply due to giving the ancestral sword to his favorite bastard.

Aegon V-Supposedly attempted to hatch a dragon, provoking the Tragedy at Summerhall. Caused the line of Jaehaerys II to take over, leading to the ultimate rule of Aerys II and the fall of the targaryen kings.

And now we look to you, Aegon VI/Aegon Blackfyre. How will you devastate Westeros?

Good observation

Never caught that

He had zero responsibilities in the death of the dragons. He even tried to hatch some eggs. He was unpopular, though. There were conflicts about regency, and due to what happened to him, he was called the Unlucky too.

I think rather than cause bad things, the name Aegon brings bad luck to you and others. How funny the very observant Rhaegar never noticed this. Idem for Rhaenys. They would have been luckier if Rhaegar had put them red shirts and sent them to a war :dunno:

Over here, 18 years is the lifetime expectancy of a cat. Nothing unusual of them getting that old.

Yeah--I've known several cats in their late teens and a few over 20. 18 would be an old cat, but not a jaw-droppingly old one. That would be really old for a dog, though.

I don't think there was anything "inadvertently" about it

I'd meant that Arya didn't know that Dareon was part of Jon's original circle of friends which made his betrayal all the more deeper. To her it was just "Father executed deserters" and "This guy was Jon's 'brother' in the NW" She had no way of knowing how close they were when she let him have it.

I forget if she knew if Jon was the Lord Commander though. I just started my 3rd read of the series.

I never noticed there was a King of Winter called Theon Stark, who won, among other battles including the battle of the weeping water, with the help of the Boltons. a big fight against the Iron Born. The Iron Islanders had settled on Cape Kraken, which while the name Kraken sounds very Iron Islandy, is on the mainland. King Theon drove them back to the Islands.

It could be something of a clue as to our Theons eventual conclusion, in that it would be interesting if he went full Stark and somehow, with the help of some Bolton(s), defeated his own place of birth for his adoptive home. Although I don't know of any Boltons decent enough to help him, besides maybe Fat Walda.

He's always considered himself Ironborn, which he's entitled to, but his father never showed him anything but disdain and he got no respect from anyone else. The Starks, as much as he wouldn't want to admit it, are his family and it would be really good to see him, at least in spirit, become Theon Stark and save/rescue Winterfell against a threat from his own "people" so to speak. That is, of course, before he dies a gruesomely heroic death.

I finally noticed that the reason I sometimes get the Targ words back to front in my mind is because of the Salvation Army words: Blood and Fire. Duh :dunce:

(edit: both sets of my grandparents were members so I really should have spotted it without even thinking, rather than some months after my 6th re-read...)

I finally noticed that the reason I sometimes get the Targ words back to front in my mind is because of the Salvation Army words: Blood and Fire. Duh :dunce:

Blood and Fire! How am I going to get that out of my head? To those cunning fan artists out there, I want to see Dany with her army of unsullied all in salvation army uniform. Please, please, add dragons at your leisure.

Blood and Fire! How am I going to get that out of my head? To those cunning fan artists out there, I want to see Dany with her army of unsullied all in salvation army uniform. Please, please, add dragons at your leisure.

Yes, yes, yes to the fan artists! Please ;)

Something had been grinding at my brain since the first time I read 'Fire and Blood', irritating me and never sitting right. Last time I sat (in seemingly endless boredom) staring at the 'Blood and Fire' banner must have been, say, 30 years ago!

(edit: both sets of my grandparents were members so I really should have spotted it without even thinking, rather than some months after my 6th re-read...)

Apparently, the Salvation Army was the charitable arm of the Golden Company.

I never noticed there was a King of Winter called Theon Stark, who won, among other battles including the battle of the weeping water, with the help of the Boltons. a big fight against the Iron Born. The Iron Islanders had settled on Cape Kraken, which while the name Kraken sounds very Iron Islandy, is on the mainland. King Theon drove them back to the Islands.

It could be something of a clue as to our Theons eventual conclusion, in that it would be interesting if he went full Stark and somehow, with the help of some Bolton(s), defeated his own place of birth for his adoptive home. Although I don't know of any Boltons decent enough to help him, besides maybe Fat Walda.

He's always considered himself Ironborn, which he's entitled to, but his father never showed him anything but disdain and he got no respect from anyone else. The Starks, as much as he wouldn't want to admit it, are his family and it would be really good to see him, at least in spirit, become Theon Stark and save/rescue Winterfell against a threat from his own "people" so to speak. That is, of course, before he dies a gruesomely heroic death.

With the help of some Boltons? He already did 'help' Ramsay drive the Iron Born out, lol..... it's possible though Asha and Theon make common cause with the remaining Starks against Euron -- depending on how things evolve. Jon might never forgive Theon for what he did, but his Night's Watch experience would have taught him that you don't need to forgive or like someone in order to use them...

Mushroom didna author The Testimony of Mushroom, did he? If not, who did? The White Worm?

Mushroom’s The Testimony of Mushroom is another matter, however. A dwarf three feet tall, with an enormous head (and an enormous member to go with it, if he is to be believed), Mushroom was the court jester, and was thought to be a lackwit. Therefore, the worthies of the court spoke freely around him. His Testimony alleges to be his account of the events of the years when he was at court, set down by a scribe whose name we do not know, and it is filled with Mushroom’s tales of plots, murders, trysts, debaucheries, and more —and all in the most explicit detail.

Could be he dictated it to some unimportant scribe and the wording is all his, or it could be that the scribe deserves credit as the true author based on Mushroom's stories. Doubt we'll ever find out who it was. Would Mysaria know how to write?

I always get it backward because of the Type O Negative song. :(

I'm noticing again that Laenor's favorite was ser Joffrey Lonmouth, and I'm trying to think how this might be related to Richard and possibly Lem. And well Rhaegar has always struck me as... um.. curious if not actually gay. Then I recalled Jon Connington and his obvious tendencies, and how jealous he was of Arthur. So were Rhaegar and his best buddies all gay?

Could be he dictated it to some unimportant scribe and the wording is all his, or it could be that the scribe deserves credit as the true author based on Mushroom's stories. Doubt we'll ever find out who it was. Would Mysaria know how to write?

the line that caught my attention this time round was about him being a lackwit. That got me thinking that maybe he didn't write it at all, but that maybe somebody who wanted to hurt Rhaenyra's legacy authored it.

ETA But no, not the White Worm since Mushroom wrote that Daemon had Laenor murdered. And it wouldn't be the greens either since Mushroom alleges Alicent poisoned Viserys.

So if Varys did intend to spark a succession crisis with all those black-haired bastards he was modeling his plan at least a bit after the greens' success in scandalizing Rhaenyra's three strong young boys, the ones she had before she married Daemon, no?

Archived