The Fate of Wolves and Return of Ravens in Canada

roxWolfox

Huffington Posts have been reporting for days on the wolf culls in BC and Alberta, but at least the ravens are on the rise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dan-kraus/rewilding_b_6527332.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/chris-genovali/wolf-cull_b_6494770.html

And yet more culling articles.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/15/bc-hunt-wolves-by-helicopter-save-caribou_n_6480842.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/15/wolf-cull-will-see-animal_n_6481590.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/07/alberta-wolf-cull-caribou_n_6431164.html

What boggles my mind is the fact that there never seems to be any interest in preserving the caribou when man-made industry is afoot, but ... beware the wolf!

Mind you. Ravens. Returning to southern Canada.

Awesome.

That's wonderful news!

I live near the Detroit River and I can personally attest to seeing bald eagles - that's EAGLES with an S - in areas they haven't been in decades.

We voted down a proposition that would have allowed wolf culls in northern Michigan. Apparently the ranchers or farmers have experienced loss of herd in one area, so it was a hot topic for a while here. I don't expect them to go down without a fight, though. I fully expect to see this proposition come up every election cycle, just reworded to gull the casual reader.

Beavers have also returned to some areas hereabouts!

I know that in the area I live, several folks have lost small pets to coyotes. They don't enjoy great press, though, so I anticipate some of our armed populace will take matters into their own hands. Keep an eye on your pets, people!

That's wonderful news!

I live near the Detroit River and I can personally attest to seeing bald eagles - that's EAGLES with an S - in areas they haven't been in decades.

We voted down a proposition that would have allowed wolf culls in northern Michigan. Apparently the ranchers or farmers have experienced loss of herd in one area, so it was a hot topic for a while here. I don't expect them to go down without a fight, though. I fully expect to see this proposition come up every election cycle, just reworded to gull the casual reader.

Beavers have also returned to some areas hereabouts!

I know that in the area I live, several folks have lost small pets to coyotes. They don't enjoy great press, though, so I anticipate some of our armed populace will take matters into their own hands. Keep an eye on your pets, people!

I live about a mile from Detroit River, and though I haven't seen eagles, hawks and falcons are slowly making a comeback. Before moving here (Windsor), I used to live in Thunder Bay, Ontario (north of Minnesota) where eagles sightings were on the rise, as were coyote sightings. Unfortunately, when the wolves disappear, coyotes take over and kill off the smaller predators (wolves keep coyotes in check, allowing predators such as the fox to hunt/reproduce in relative safety). Nowadays coywolves are being sighted more often (hybrid of coyotes and wolves) which is a warning sign in itself.

But the return of the ravens has me tickled pink as I am a bird lover. Having had small and medium parrots in the past, I loved watching them (cockatiels) flit around the house and do their birdy stuff (which made one of the very few northerners to feel quite comfortable with the large, noisy population of crows in Thunder Bay) but as hard as I looked, I only saw a couple of ravens in almost 2 decades of living in northern Ontario. Which is why I'm thrilled that they're making a comeback in the south. I shall be scanning the horizon in anticipation!

I live about a mile from Detroit River, and though I haven't seen eagles, hawks and falcons are slowly making a comeback. Before moving here (Windsor), I used to live in Thunder Bay, Ontario (north of Minnesota) where eagles sightings were on the rise, as were coyote sightings. Unfortunately, when the wolves disappear, coyotes take over and kill off the smaller predators (wolves keep coyotes in check, allowing predators such as the fox to hunt/reproduce in relative safety). Nowadays coywolves are being sighted more often (hybrid of coyotes and wolves) which is a warning sign in itself.

But the return of the ravens has me tickled pink as I am a bird lover. Having had small and medium parrots in the past, I loved watching them (cockatiels) flit around the house and do their birdy stuff (which made one of the very few northerners to feel quite comfortable with the large, noisy population of crows in Thunder Bay) but as hard as I looked, I only saw a couple of ravens in almost 2 decades of living in northern Ontario. Which is why I'm thrilled that they're making a comeback in the south. I shall be scanning the horizon in anticipation!

I have often wondered at the lack of ravens here. I see them a lot on the East Coast though. I have often wondered why.

Sad for the wolves. I imagine something better could be worked out. I thought you Canadians were better and more thoughtful than us?

Wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone and areas thereabouts and they've been able to make it work this second time around.

On a sidenote, a coyote was spotted in Manhattan yesterday; the second one this year.

Theres a very interesting documentary on Coywolves on Netflix right now.

They are prospering and spreading quite robustly. It seems they prefer urban areas surprisingly.

Overall I believe I heard the wolve packs from northern Mich to Minnesota have been doing well

with those states considering removing them from the endangered status.

However,

the Isle Royale wolf population is very endangered and they are way down in healthy female wolves that

can repopulate. Apparently there's been some kind of sickness that has afflicted much of the islands

wolf population.

As for birds,

this is a great migratory spot here. I'm very near the Menominee River mouth at the Green Bay.

Eagles are not uncommon,

and though I haven't seen a Snow Owl yet,

more than a few locals have spotted them on the Bay.

Assuming the cull is the right way to go, (What I've seen suggests this might at best cause a temporary stop in the decline, but probably not even that) killing adults is rarely an effective way to lower population. And my understanding is that that's especially true of wolves.

ETA: And it can have added negative effect since a lot of hunters in culls will go after larger specimens which can lead to the overall size of the animals becoming smaller. Which in prey species can cause problems.

What the hell are governments of BC and Alberta doing? So, two more countries states I won't step in... Like, ever (and I even love Canada)!!!

I simply can't believe what I am reading. Killing wolves in this capacity is not just inhumane, it is borderline genocidal. I am deeply disturbed by that article... Deeply disturbed by ignorance and inhumanity. When will we learn???

Theres a very interesting documentary on Coywolves on Netflix right now.

They are prospering and spreading quite robustly. It seems they prefer urban areas surprisingly.

Overall I believe I heard the wolve packs from northern Mich to Minnesota have been doing well

with those states considering removing them from the endangered status.

However,

the Isle Royale wolf population is very endangered and they are way down in healthy female wolves that

can repopulate. Apparently there's been some kind of sickness that has afflicted much of the islands

wolf population.

As for birds,

this is a great migratory spot here. I'm very near the Menominee River mouth at the Green Bay.

Eagles are not uncommon,

and though I haven't seen a Snow Owl yet,

more than a few locals have spotted them on the Bay.

Re: Isle Royale wolf packs... as I understand it, because the island has been isolated for so long, the wolves there are inbred and, thus, weakened genetically, resulting in inability to breed effectively and other problems.

It is hoped that the colder winters will result in ice bridges that allow fresh blood wolves to mingle with the existing population.

There's a lot of argument regarding whether new wolves should just be picked up and dropped onto the island or whether to let nature take its course. There may even be regulations against any such intervention in the island's natural state.

Mladen, I sympathize with your feelings about these culls. Generally, when killing of wolves is brought up, it's usually the result of ranchers losing sheep, cattle to the wolves. It would be great if someone could come up with an effective wolf-repellant so both ranchers and wolf-lovers could live in harmony.

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming the cull is the right way to go, (What I've seen suggests this might at best cause a temporary stop in the decline, but probably not even that) killing adults is rarely an effective way to lower population. And my understanding is that that's especially true of wolves.

ETA: And it can have added negative effect since a lot of hunters in culls will go after larger specimens which can lead to the overall size of the animals becoming smaller. Which in prey species can cause problems.

Over her on the East coast we do not have a problem with wolves nor have they had such a problem on Baffin Island but we have both seen devastating drops in the number of Caribou in recent years. 90% decline on Baffin and the George River herd which used to come my way has dropped from 750,000 to less than 15,000 in the last 20 years.

So I'm torn by this cull as well, especially since wolves are my favourite wild animal.

Archived