Academy Awards 2015 - Oscar night...

Mladen

Eh, I don't agree at all. Those music sequences were complicated, the budget was low, the time was short and everyone knows what drums sound like so everything has to be perfect in mixing them into the constant jazz music that makes up the soundtrack. Just because a soundtrack is loud doesn't mean it should win.

Interstellar wasn't just loud. It was as quiet as a whisper in places and one of the most dynamic mixing jobs I have heard. It was probably the most complicated mixing since Jurassic Park.

Any sound person should be able to mix drums.

Terrible choice. This just shows that the voters have no idea what Sound mixing actually is. While Whiplash did an above average job, it wasn't close to having the technical merits that Interstellar displayed. I loved Whiplash, and didn't like Interstellar, but the sound mixing was unquestionably better in the later.

Unquestionably according to whom, my dear? The sound mixing from Interstellar was very criticized by audiences and critics alike because many people had trouble hearing the dialogue and it's by far the most controversial nominee in the category in many years. Stop acting like your opinion is a fact.

Best Visual Effects

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Guardians of the Galaxy

Interstellar

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Best Animated Short

The Bigger Picture

The Dam Keeper

Feast

Me and My Moulton

A Single Life

Best Animated Feature

Big Hero 6

The Boxtrolls

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Song of the Sea

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Best Visual Effects

Guardians of the Galaxy

Interstellar

Hmmm, from personally seeing both Apes and Interstellar I'd have to go with Apes as the superior SFX job. Perhaps the voters thought they used actual trained apes for the movie not CGI apes.

Hmmm, from personally seeing both Apes and Interstellar I'd have to go with Apes as the superior SFX job. Perhaps the voters thought they used actual trained apes for the movie not CGI apes.

Interstellar was one of the most visually impressive movies I've ever seen. Incredible experience even when the script lacked.

Best Visual Effects

Guardians of the Galaxy

Interstellar

Good choice IMO. Apes does come second out of the choices for me. And no, the voters didn't think that they used actual apes, but Interstellar did make it look like they actually had cameras in space, rather than use CGI.

Good choice IMO. Apes does come second out of the choices for me. And no, the voters didn't think that they used actual apes, but Interstellar did make it look like they actually had cameras in space, rather than use CGI.

That seems rather like SFX 101 to me. SFX has been doing impressive outer space shots since Star Wars. Impressive living, breathing emotionally relatable SFX has been very recent and is still an improving technology. If anything it is the cinematography that's impressive with Interstellar not the SFX, albeit the SFX is very good in Interstellar.

Nah, Birdman was the clear frontrunner, winning every award out there in this category.

Another one for Whiplash, nice.

I think it's because it's made to look like one shot.

Perhaps... But, truth be told, I am complete ignorant in the these categories...

Archived