What are your Ten Most Anticipated books?

Stego

More release date info: Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe comes out in September. Good news for you Firgoret.

Indeed. And the next thing to expect from Wolfe after this is probably a fourth Soldier novel.

Another title that I'm excited about is Michael Swanwick's The Dragons of Babel, which is set in the same world as The Iron Dragon's Daughter. There's no publication date yet, but Swanwick has finished it and sent it off to his agent.

I've read a bunch of my previous list, and so here's the update, INPO, an unluckly 13:

1. A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin (duh.)

2. Black Man (Thirteen) by Richard Morgan

3. World Without End by Ken Follett (Sequel to Pillars of The Earth.)

4. Neuropath by R. Scott Bakker

5. The Aspect Emperor by R. Scott Bakker

6. Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

7. A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan (So Shoot Me.)

8. Harry Potter 7 by J.K. Rowling (I said Shoot Me.)

9. Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe

10. Axis by Robert Charles Wilson

11. Brasyl by Ian McDonald

12. The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman

13. The Merchant Princes Book 4 by Charlie Stross

My list would be something like (not in order) -

Dance with Dragons obviously

The next Dunk and Egg story

The World of Ice and Fire (can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet)

Children of Hurin

Stormed Fortress by Janny Wurtis

Harry Potter 7

Fatal Revenant by Stephen Donaldson

Memory of Light by Jordan - just to get it over with, already.

Shadowplay by Tad Williams

There are probably others that I can't think of right now.

Aratan

Locusmag just came out with a new "forthcoming books" section and they've listed Hamilton's The Dreaming Void as coming out in August. No listing yet on Amazon UK though, which is a bit unusual as they are normally very early with these things.

PFH on his blog said that Autumn 2007 was what he'd heard, but it could be earlier, as he's handing it in at the end of January.

I think Return of the Crimson guard, despite all the talk of agents and publishers, is due in 2008 after all. Is Jordan's last one even scheduled for 2007?

There was an error in the list that was sent to Malazanempire.com. Return of the Crimson Guard is definitely now due for April 2008. A Memory of Light is due in late 2008. Robert Jordan said it'll take him another year to finish it (barring health concerns etc), plus it matches the three-year-gap between Books 10 and 11. And if this is the longest one yet, I'd put money on it going to early 2009. January 2009 would be interesting, actually, as it would be exactly 19 years after Book 1 came out ( :o ).

1. Dance with Dragons- late 2007

How long would Martin have to finish it if he wants it released by say October/November? April at the latest?

GRRM wants to finish it by the end of January 2007, which would put the earliest date as end of June/start of July 2007 for the UK release. However, I think some additional leeway is required, so I'd be gunning for October 2007, or 2 years after the last book.

7. Sword from Red Ice- JV Jones-December 2007

Despite Jones claiming it would be November, Orbit at least has decided on December. Still no word from TOR US about a release date though. Anyway, a book I'm really looking forward to, even if it hard to believe we still have to wait a full year for it.

Tor wanted to have a simultaneous release, but the latest dates seem to be suggested that Orbit will be putting it out in December 2007 and then Tor in January 2008.

Expect the fourth and final book, A Shadow Under the Ice, sometime in 2011 based on her current work rate.

8. Axis- Robert Charles Wilson-June 2007

This looks like it could be even better than The Spin, and become one of the premier SF novels of our time. Focusing on the Arch, the Hypotheticals and a universe " billions of years older and more complex than ours".

Wasn't too blown away by Spin. It was okay, but unexceptional. Will probably pick up the sequel though.

10. Reaper's Gale-Steven Erikson - April 2007

I've still got loads of catching up to with when it comes to Erikson and I've found him rather hit-and-miss sofar, but I have to say that this book has all the hallmarks of looking like it will be the best one yet.

I thought The Bonehunters was the weakest book yet in the sequence, so my expectations are down for Reaper's Gale. It's still a fascinating sequence though.

Latest news from Greg Keyes is that The Born Queen (the final book in his Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone sequence) could make it out at the end of 2007, but it's more likely to be a 2008 release. Once it's out, then I can start reading the series.

Because both of them will complete tales of which I have some fondness, I'd make the top 2 on my list...

1. A Memory of Light

2. HP 7

after that

3. Red Seas Under Red Skies

4. A Dance With Dragons

5. Axis

There really aren't any more I am waitng for.

And I bump Lynch over GRRM because I am more convinced that Scott knows what he wants in this novel.

Probably, man. I actually asked him about this last summer -- as to whether he thought they'd make him change the name. (It was the first I'd heard the name of the book, right before he read the first chapter.) I went to New York City just to meet him and get my books signed.

He said that he hoped not, but knew it was possible.

In order:

1. A Dance with Dragons, GRRM. Now that the Democrats have taken Congress, I suggest we have hearings to see if anything can be done to speed this one along.

2. Red Seas under Red Skies, Scott Lynch. High hopes for this after the stunning debut.

3. The Born Queen, Greg Keyes. I like this series more than most folks on these boards I guess -- sometimes a breezier fantasy hits the spot better than an intimidating doorstop (see next entry).

4. Reaper's Gale, Steven Erikson. Dread is a type of anticipation, right? Although I approach each new Erikson book more like a job than an enjoyable pastime, I'm still looking forward to it.

5. Whatever the next Temeraire book is, Naomi Novik. They're charming, and I'm interested in the historical period. Contact my lawyer if you feel the need to sue.

6. Before They Are Hanged, Joe Abercrombie. Although I'd give his debut just 3.5 stars for various reasons, you could feel the writing become more confident as the book progressed, and it ended at a point where the characters are seemingly going off to interesting places to do interesting things. It's a fair bet that the second book will be better.

I'm actually going to have to think a bit before I decide to get Bakker's The Aspect Emperor. I read the first trilogy with more admiration for the concepts than actual enjoyment, so I may just put off the decision until the next trilogy is complete and see what the general consensus was. And yeah, I'll get Harry Potter 7 just to close the loop and see how it ends, but I don't feel any urgent desire to do so, so that doesn't count as anticipation I guess.

1. A Dance with Dragons - GRRM (seriously, I don't think there's anyone in this board who isn't anticipating this.)

2. Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch (I hope we see Sabetha. I'm very curious about her)

3. The Born Queen - Greg Keyes (I still haven't read the third book, and I'm already anticipating the fourth. *sigh*)

4. Kim Harrison's next Hollows Book (I forgot the title!)

5. HP 7 - J.K. Rowling (It's the end of all things. Finally.)

...and I can't think of anything else.

IIRC Sabetha isn't meant to appear until book 3. I may be wrong about that.
I also seem to remember Scott saying she wouldn't appear until book 3 (or was it 4?), and it seems a bit too late to change that now that the script of Red sails under red seas is done. It was in the first LLL thread, unless I'm mistaken.

I also seem to remember Scott saying she wouldn't appear until book 3 (or was it 4?), and it seems a bit too late to change that now that the script of Red sails under red seas is done. It was in the first LLL thread, unless I'm mistaken.

Well, I hope we do know more about her in the second book. The girl who broke Locke's heart must be very interesting.

(and crap, I made a mistake on the title. Is it Sail or Seas? I'm confused.)

1. A Dance with Dragons - GRRM (seriously, I don't think there's anyone in this board who isn't anticipating this.)

Well, if this one isn't at least on people's top ten, we'd have to wonder just what they're doing on this board.

At the moment:

If what I already read of Bakker's Neuropath is any indication - it's going to be gangster.

The 10 on my mind right now:

The Zamilon File by Jeff Vandermeer(not sure if this a 2007 release)

The Yiddish Policemen's Union Michael Chabon

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Caine Black Knife by Matthew Stover

Ink by Hal Duncan

The Aspect-Emperor by R. Scott Bakker

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Softspoken by Lucius Shepard

Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe

Dead Stock by Jeffrey Thomas

I'm also looking forward to Paul Park's latest.

OK, I'll bite. Although, my list will look awfully familliar.

By far my most anticipated book is...

1. A Dance with Dragons (after rereading Feast, I'm itching to read the next book)

2. The Next Dunk and Egg story (just love these)

3. Red Seas Under Red Skies (Lies was a load of fun)

4. The World of Ice and Fire (what could be better than more Ice and Fire. This stuff is like crack)

5. The Jack Vance Treasury (continue my Jack Vance education)

6. HP7 (why stop at 6?)

7. The reprint of Armaggedon Rag (there hasn't been a story yet by GRRM that I haven't liked)

8. All the other ASOIAF books (I know, these are in the distant future but I'm still anxious to get my hands on them)

that's all I can think of for now.

Thiazyl

Archived