Sansa is not a Stark

Cavendish

I'll second that.

May i ask why? I never got why she's so popular. I do ejoy her chapters but that's mainly because of other interesting characters in them like Littlefinger and the Vale lords and ladies.

To me she just seems like a tag-along.

Ok, I didn't like the subject title.

All the kids but Jon are half Tully and half Stark, whatever their names are. Some women probably tried harder than others to blend into their husband's families and cultures. Cat tried, but she also kept different gods and retained some of her Sothron identity. Sansa always seemed more like her mother than her father. Is it unnatural for a child to take after one parent more than the other? What is so wrong about that?

I think the loss of Lady was and is huge, tragic, devestating. It changes the rest of Sansa's life. She would have been different if Lady had lived.

But she was already different from her siblings. She always seemed the most Tully, and the most Sothron. Why should the custom of taking a father's name dictate that she is supposed to look and act more like Ned and his side of the family?

Cat practiced the Faith of the Seven. It seems that Sansa leans that way, too. She was raised by a Septa. When the Hound demanded a song, she sang a religious song from the Faith.

The books seem to make the Faith of the Seven seem hollow (at least in power/mystical deeds) compared to some of the other religions. We learn so much more about the North. I wonder if the Faith is meant to be as hollow as it comes off?

I think the loss of Lady might mean Sansa loses that part of herself. However, it might mean she "has a vacancy" for a dragon or some other type of connection with something else.

What hate about these conversations is that no one has any clear definition of "Stark-ness". It's not even related to their character arcs.

Bran closely identifies with as the Prince and the heir to Winterfell, The Stark in Winterfell, and his story about a reenacting of the myth of Bran the Builder.

Arya uses the image of the wolf from which to draw strength, and her story is that of a wolf queen, a Nymeria for the North.

Sansa again and again references her parents being the daughter of "Lord Eddard and Lady Catelyn" ("I must be as strong as my lady mother"), and not surprisingly her story is centered around settling their old business with the man who helped, directly or indirectly, cause their deaths: Petyr Baelish

"Stark-ness" isn't some mineral or mbti trait that you can have a certain quantity of. It's a matter of what role you play in the house's destiny and future. It's a literary construction composed of symbols and images, for them and us as readers.

This :agree: I get so tired of people trying to prove what a "true" Stark is, and whether or not certain characters are Stark enough.

I agree with you... Just one thing, according to GRRM, all Stark kids are wargs just on various levels of their development.

Yes!!

And I've always felt that Sansa has just had to put her Starkness aside until she can figure out how to get out of the mess she's in right now. She's growing stronger now and she's going to get some justice for her and her family. Being in the Eyrie, I'd like to see her first warg attempt be into a Falcon.

A big falcon (Sansa) bringing down a little mocking bird (Little finger) :drool:

Sansa is not the only Stark living in a made up world.

Exactly. Does anyone even remember Jon's ideas about NW? What Sansa called "knights in black"? His perception wasn't an inch better. That is why Jon's whining in AGOT sounds a lot like Sansa's regarding Arya and her interests.

May i ask why?

Read my sig. That is just my opinion on the subject.

All the kids but Jon are half Tully and half Stark, whatever their names are. Some women probably tried harder than others to blend into their husband's families and cultures. Cat tried, but she also kept different gods and retained some of her Sothron identity. Sansa always seemed more like her mother than her father. Is it unnatural for a child to take after one parent more than the other? What is so wrong about that?

But it is wrong. Not in the way that it is wrong to claim such thing, but it is wrong given the data we have from the books. Sansa, although has undeniably Cat's Southern looks, appears to have more in common with her father. Sansa and Ned are those who believe in stories and fantasies, even about real people in their lives. They both believe in honor, duties, doing the right thing. Look at how Cat was never blinded by who Robert was. Ned basically deluded himself and even continued to justify Robert until he came to the point of no return. Ned is introvert character, someone who feels unworthy of what he has (conversation with Cat about Brandon). Then look at Sansa, who is arguably the most beautiful woman in the Kingdoms, looking up to others and having sometimes lower opinion of herself. Her chapters are basically so closed-up and after Ned's death, she built up walls. Look at her wedding. How she quietly went with that. Ned, "a quiet wolf", were also cold and dignified. Basically, Sansa may look like Cat, but psychologically she is so closer to Ned.

Being a bit of a walkover isn't the same as quietness. How quiet was the quiet wolf when it came to child murder? Ned was shy, not easily led. He was hopeful perhaps for people to be decent and didn't expect the level of depravedness he found in kings landing. While Sansa clung to her idea of exterior beauty meaning good nature, Ned saw Cersei and Joffrey for the evil they were. Yes, he wanted to believe in Robert, they grew up together. I do think Ned's Robert was still there but Ned was right that he was determined to self destruct. He was done with everything and embarked on a slow suicide.

Being a bit of a walkover isn't the same as quietness. How quiet was the quiet wolf when it came to child murder? Ned was shy, not easily led. He was hopeful perhaps for people to be decent and didn't expect the level of depravedness he found in kings landing. While Sansa clung to her idea of exterior beauty meaning good nature, Ned saw Cersei and Joffrey for the evil they were. Yes, he wanted to believe in Robert, they grew up together. I do think Ned's Robert was still there but Ned was right that he was determined to self destruct. He was done with everything and embarked on a slow suicide.

He knew Joffrey was so evil that he allowed his own daughter to fall in love with him. For me, that is being a crappy man. He should have seen how Sansa was falling in love with Joffrey and reacted on time. The moment he saw what Joffrey is, he should have sent Sansa back home.

Sansa didn't just see goodness in beautiful people. More likely, she grew up believing that certain noble positions are, well, noble. Her idea of Prince, Queen, enhanced also by her "love", formed her opinion. Also, Ned is, you know, grown-up man, he lived more than Sansa, saw more than Sansa, so some kind of experience is kinda expected. They are not the same person.

Ned's Robert was never there. He made excuses for him with Lyanna, he was making excuses for him during current story. The Robert Ned knew or thought to have known, kinda never existed. Or at least, we have never met such man.

Interesting read! Thanks!

Thank you... :)

Read my sig. That is just my opinion on the subject.

But it is wrong. Not in the way that it is wrong to claim such thing, but it is wrong given the data we have from the books. Sansa, although has undeniably Cat's Southern looks, appears to have more in common with her father. Sansa and Ned are those who believe in stories and fantasies, even about real people in their lives. They both believe in honor, duties, doing the right thing. Look at how Cat was never blinded by who Robert was. Ned basically deluded himself and even continued to justify Robert until he came to the point of no return. Ned is introvert character, someone who feels unworthy of what he has (conversation with Cat about Brandon). Then look at Sansa, who is arguably the most beautiful woman in the Kingdoms, looking up to others and having sometimes lower opinion of herself. Her chapters are basically so closed-up and after Ned's death, she built up walls. Look at her wedding. How she quietly went with that. Ned, "a quiet wolf", were also cold and dignified. Basically, Sansa may look like Cat, but psychologically she is so closer to Ned.

Hell. Yes. This about sums it up for me, and part of me wonders if Sansa's role might include justice for Ned. A Stark that strikes back, so to speak. And so far, only Sansa is in a situation to advance house Stark politically.

But does Sansa keep the Old Gods? This is a genuine question, I cannot recall her seriously praying to the Old Gods, but please point me to places if I missed them! I recall her going to the godswood, yes, but not praying to them.

I am not saying she has nothing at all in common with her father or siblings, but Ned, Jon, and the others specifically link the dire wolves to the Old Gods.

The Old Gods seem to be a huge part of Stark life at Winterfell. The Old God's seem linked to the wolves. The wolves have no connection with the Seven.

Exactly. Does anyone even remember Jon's ideas about NW? What Sansa called "knights in black"? His perception wasn't an inch better. That is why Jon's whining in AGOT sounds a lot like Sansa's regarding Arya and her interests.

The difference is that Jon learned, very early on, that his perceptions of things were wrong. Tyrion, Donal, and Sam set him straight and he learns . That's the difference. Sansa willfully ignores things like Joffrey trying to kill her sister! and Cersei ordering her pet wolf dead! and Ned getting attacked by Lannister men including Jaime! Stark men being killed! The Hound butchering a little kid! to continue to think of the Lannisters as good people! It is not until Ned loses his head that she actually learns! Jon and Sansa are miles apart in terms of intelligence, perspectives and seeing things differently once they are presented with the truth. There's also a streak of selfishness in Sansa that is absent in the other Stark siblings.

Jon's whining was also different to Sansa's in that it was the whining of the underdog. We can compare his whining to Arya's. Two children who were denied things based on their gender and birth.

Sansa, although has undeniably Cat's Southern looks, appears to have more in common with her father. Sansa and Ned are those who believe in stories and fantasies, even about real people in their lives. They both believe in honor, duties, doing the right thing.

Not at all true. There are no similarities between Ned and Sansa. Ned knew the cold hard truth. He knew what sort of person Robert was. That was why he disagreed and fought with Robert and went back to Winterfell. Ned disliked and distrusted the Lannistes and LF. He was not taken in by appearances.

We can see this difference in them, from their similar actions with Cersei. Ned told Cersei what he intended to save the lives of her children, for unselfish reasons. Sansa told Cersei what Ned intended to do for selfish reasons. To stay back in KL and be Queen.

Ned was loyal to his family, above all. Sansa betrayed her family, sided with the Lannisters and proclaimed Arya traitor.

Ned was for truth and honesty above all. As close he was to Robert, he stood up to him when he felt he was doing wrong. Sansa just goes along with whatever someone tells her to do. If LF needs Sweet Robin at the feast, he goes, never mind the dangerous drug he has to be dosed with to do so.

If it was Ned's own life on the line, he would still stand for the truth. Only lying when it comes to his family. Here he shares similarities with Jon, who was willing to die when he refused to kill the old man at Queenscrow. Yet Jon was willing to break his NW oaths for Arya. Sansa on the other hand would do whatever it takes to survive (Lie, cover up the truth, follow LF's instructions knowing LF is a creep).

So no. Sansa and Ned are not similar at all. Ned believes in honor and doing the right thing. Sansa believes in her own survival first, no matter the cost.

Why is it important to be "a Stark"?

Why is this even a topic? What makes "a true Stark"? People are not determined by some mysteriously inborn quality that comes with a family name, some sparkling Stark gene they have or don't.

Posters seem to equal "Starkness" with everything that is good and upright in the story and this basically turns every onlook on characters coming from the Stark family into a boring competition of morality quantification. As if recognizing their own "Starkness" were the only way a character can be seen as morally positive by readers. My Stark is more Stark, meaning he or she is better than yours. Starkness gets a symbolic archtypical quality, in some readers' eyes overshadowing the so important individual characterization in a way Martin certainly never intended.

Martin is an author who lets his characters breathe and develop, they are not some fantasy tropes, they are individuals who are forced into a corset of their upbringing, their social class, their family relationships and their name and they have to deal with it. But they are able to grow beyond it. So Sansa, like any other character, can come into herself, she can become evil or a hero, she can be evil and a hero or simply disappear into a remotely happy ending of story oblivion, married to a blacksmith. What would be the most Starklike outcome? To get beheaded through naiveté? Ned as Stark epitome? Really, Starks are just as different from each other as any other family. What would be "Lannisterness?"

Sansa will be Sansa in the end, just like she has always been, though shaped of course by her environment. Even if she decides to dissolve into Alayne it will still be the decision Sansa Stark (or Lannister or Hardying or Baelish) has made and not whatever missing Stark gene.

But does Sansa keep the Old Gods? This is a genuine question, I cannot recall her seriously praying to the Old Gods, but please point me to places if I missed them! I recall her going to the godswood, yes, but not praying to them.

I am not saying she has nothing at all in common with her father or siblings, but Ned, Jon, and the others specifically link the dire wolves to the Old Gods.

The Old Gods seem to be a huge part of Stark life at Winterfell. The Old God's seem linked to the wolves. The wolves have no connection with the Seven.

Consider reading Sansa's snow castle scene at the Eyrie again if you are looking at a connection between Sansa and the Old Gods. It's spelt out fairly clearly, I think.

She also went to the Godswood in Kings Landing to pray during her time as Tyrion's wife even if she perhaps didn't mean to from the beginning (meeting Dontos) but Sansa does refer to the Old Gods as "her father's Gods". After Kings Landing, she also seems fairly disillusioned with the Seven. While she is not outright praying to the Old Gods, Ned-style, it is fairly clear she is not without a connection. More subtle than Jon's or Bran's, to be sure, but as in the case of Arya, having other gods aside from the Old Gods doesn't necessarily "sever" the connection (since Arya is also definitely connected to the Old Gods, even if she is now in Bravoos serving at a temple for another god).

At the start she kept both faiths, but preferred the Seven. But gradually it became the other way round and now she prefers the Old Gods.

Not at all true. There are no similarities between Ned and Sansa

Really? None at all?

Ned was for truth and honesty above all.

Sure he was. Except when he lied to his king and supposed best friend plenty of times or when he lied to his wife for 15 years.

Really? None at all?

Why don't you list out their many similarities?

Sure he was. Except when he lied to his king and supposed best friend plenty of times or when he lied to his wife for 15 years.

Are you comparing Ned's lies about Jon with Sansa's lies and dishonesty? Really? Ned lying about Jon is the same as Sansa tattling to Cersei and lying about the Trident? They have the same motivations behind them?

Ned's lies were about protecting children and family. Surely one would call that noble? As Ned himself states

“It was right,” her father said. “And even the lie was… not without honor.”

because Arya lied to save Nymeria's life.

Sansa's lies and behaviour were not in any way or form noble. Do you think her actions and Ned's are similar and made for similar reasons?

Compassionate, thoughtful, introspective. People often mistake Sansa's exterior with her interior, i.e. because she has Cat's look, she must be like Cat. Yet compare Ned's dealing with Cersei in the Godswood and Cat's dealing with Jaime at the prison in the Riverlands. Cat is far more like Arya and Sansa more like Ned in how they deal with that type of situation.

Are you comparing Ned's lies about Jon with Sansa's lies and dishonesty? Really? Ned lying about Jon is the same as Sansa tattling to Cersei and lying about the Trident? They have the same motivations behind them?

Ned's lies were about protecting children and family. Sansa's lies were not. Should be pretty obvious one would think.

You moved the goal posts there. Either Ned is all truth and honour, or he is not. You can't have it two ways. He is not truthful on more than one occasion. He lies to Robert about Jon, and he admits to guilt to spare his children.

Sansa lied so as to get to stay in Kings Landing and live the life of her (then) dreams, which btw were implanted in her by what she had been taught. Someone later tells Sansa she is like a talking bird from the Summer Isles since she repeats what people have told her to repeat, and she does it very well. She aspires to her dream, here, which if you see it from her perspective, is not so strange. It's a fairly reasonable wish as a matter of fact, to want happiness and fulfillment.

Unless of course you think young women should STFU about having wishes for their lives? Even in societies where it is not accepted for women to have free will, they occasionally do, you know.

Ned's lies were about protecting children and family. Sansa's lies were not. Should be pretty obvious one would think.

Tattling to Cersei is not a lie so I don't see the comparison. there is nothing wrong trying to achieve what you want instead of blindly obeying your father. Yes, it backfired, butt morally there was nothing wrong with Sansa trying to get the marriage she wants instead of obeying her father's orders.

Lying at the Trident was to protect Joff who was her future husband, so very similar actually. Also similar to when Ned lied about Cat arresting Tyrion on his orders.

Compassionate, thoughtful, introspective. People often mistake Sansa's exterior with her interior, i.e. because she has Cat's look, she must be like Cat. Yet compare Ned's dealing with Cersei in the Godswood and Cat's dealing with Jaime at the prison in the Riverlands. Cat is far more like Arya and Sansa more like Ned in how they deal with that type of situation.

How is Sansa introspective? Does she introspect on what happened in KL? Did she understand how her own actions played a part in her family's downfall? She is one of the least introspective characters in the series and that is one of her major flaws and something that would make her a bad player or ruler. She lacks introspection. Dany, Jon, Arya, Ned all introspect and experience guilt and remorse. Sansa just blames the Lannisters for everything (absolving herself of her own mistakes) and thinks about how much her life sucks.

Compassion? She was one of the least compassionate in AGoT, having no pity for Mycah or for the common folk, compared to Arya. Her compassion was the result of her own mistreatment at the hands of the Lannister. What exactly has she done to display this great compassion, apart from saving Dontos from idiot Joffrey?

Thoughtful? What exactly is she thoughtful about? These are all vague, generalized terms to describe her character.

I would say that Arya, Sansa, Ned and Cat are four entirely different characters with not much similarities between them. If we are looking for similarities, I would go with Ned and Jon (Foolishly willing to sacrifice themselves for others, carrying out the punishment etc.) but even there, I see differences with Jon being more pragmatic as opposed to Ned.

You moved the goal posts there. Either Ned is all truth and honour, or he is not. You can't have it two ways. He is not truthful on more than one occasion. He lies to Robert about Jon, and he admits to guilt to spare his children.

Yes, but I would consider those lies to be honorable. As does Ned. He lied to save the lives of children! Surely, no one can find fault with that. Ned is for truth and honor. And sometimes, he lied to save innocent lives. How can one compare that to Sansa's lies and actions?

Sansa lied so as to get to stay in Kings Landing and live the life of her (then) dreams, which btw were implanted in her by what she had been taught.

Right, and they were selfish reasons. She betrayed her family, sided with the Lannisters and lied to stay in KL so that she could become Queen. What is so noble or honorable about her actions in KL? Ned lying to save his daughters and Sansa lying because of her infatuation with Joffrey come from totally different motives were I would call one more honorable than the other.

And Arya was taught the same as Sansa, but had the good sense to know right from wrong. Let's stop blaming everyone else for Sansa's behavior.

Someone later tells Sansa she is like a talking bird from the Summer Isles since she repeats what people have told her to repeat, and she does it very well. She aspires to her dream, here, which if you see it from her perspective, is not so strange. It's a fairly reasonable wish as a matter of fact, to want happiness and fulfillment.

I don't care if she is a talking bird or whatever the hell. Does not excuse her selfish behavior in KL.

Unless of course you think young women should STFU about having wishes for their lives? Even in societies where it is not accepted for women to have free will, they occasionally do, you know.

She is free to have wishes in her life and want to love the sadistic Joffrey who tried to kill her sister and disobey Ned and tell Cersei of his plans and I am free to criticize her as an airheaded nitwit who has no similarities with Ned. I love how the Sansa fans talk about her agency and free will and then excuse her actions because she is just a naive 12 year old. So she is supposedly the most naive person in Westeros but she should also be allowed to disobey those who know better than her like her father and exercise her free will.

Tattling to Cersei is not a lie so I don't see the comparison. there is nothing wrong trying to achieve what you want instead of blindly obeying your father. Yes, it backfired, butt morally there was nothing wrong with Sansa trying to get the marriage she wants instead of obeying her father's orders.

Lying at the Trident was to protect Joff who was her future husband, so very similar actually. Also similar to when Ned lied about Cat arresting Tyrion on his orders.

You don't mention Sansa's similarities in character with Ned? Please do so.

Yes, her father warns her it is dangerous, Lannisters have attacked and injured her father and her father tells his daughters that it is imperative they tell no one that they are leaving. She goes behind her father's back and informs the people (Who her father is wary about) about her fathers plans and how they mean to get out of KL. Nothing wrong here at all. Also exactly how Ned would have behaved! I see the similarities so clearly!

So Ned lying to protect his wife from Lannisters is the same as Sansa supporting Joffrey against Arya and Ned? In terms of similarities, did Ned side against his siblings and father in favor of the Tullys? Did Margaery side with the Lannisters against the Tyrells?

How is Sansa introspective? Does she introspect on what happened in KL? Did she understand how her own actions played a part in her family's downfall? She is one of the least introspective characters in the series and that is one of her major flaws and something that would make her a bad player or ruler. She lacks introspection?

Did you even read Sansa's chapters or are you just mouthing off? What does "understanding how her actions played a part in her family's downfall" = introspective? That is total bullshit, especially considered that she had no part in it, since the only thing she really manage to do was make it a little bit easier for Cersei to capture some more Stark troops. How about you stop shifting the blame for what Littlefinger did (betrayed Ned to Cersei by giving her the gold Cloaks) and from Cersei (who captured Ned) and LF again (who convinced Joff to execute Ned) to Sansa. Sansa captured nobody, she executed nobody, but I guess that is beside the point in "I read a different version" world where you live?

Compassion? She was one of the least compassionate in AGoT, having no pity for Mycah or for the common folk, compared to Arya. Her compassion was the result of her own mistreatment at the hands of the Lannister. What exactly has she done to display this great compassion, apart from saving Dontos from idiot Joffrey?

Arya has compassion for Mycah because he was her friend. She doesn't give two shits about his social status. Sansa puts her neck out for Dontos, she sends for medical aid for Lancel, who previously participated in her debasement. She is the only one who is nice and friendly to Lollys, who is a person almost everyone feels free to mock and make fun of (see Tyrion for instance, who feels sorry for *Bronn* when he marries Lollys, despite Lollys being the one who has to live through having some random man thrust at her without having anything to say about the situation, but apparently marital rape is a joking matter in the World of Tyrion).

As for not "caring about the common folk" she's clearly friends with Mya Stone in the Vale, but perhaps that doesn't count as common enough?

Thoughtful? What exactly is she thoughtful about? These are all vague, generalized terms to describe her character.

No, they are descriptions made based on her chapters. She is thoughtful and introvert a lot of the time. Many things that are interesting in her chapters take place in her internal thoughts and not in dialogue or actions, which is also btw why a lot of people complain that her chapters are slow and that "nothing much happens". Apart from, you know, character development.

Yes, but I would consider those lies to be honorable. As does Ned. He lied to save the lives of children! Surely, no one can find fault with that. Ned is for truth and honor. And sometimes, he lied to save innocent lives. How can one compare that to Sansa's lies and actions?

Ah, so you admit to moving the goal posts, but it's different because Reasons. Either he lied, or he didn't. You can't have it two ways.

Right, and they were selfish reasons. She betrayed her family, sided with the Lannisters and lied to stay in KL so that she could become Queen. What is so noble or honorable about her actions in KL? Ned lying to save his daughters and Sansa lying because of her infatuation with Joffrey come from totally different motives were I would call one more honorable ideals and the other not.

And Arya was taught the same as Sansa, but had the good sense to know right from wrong. Let's stop blaming everyone else for Sansa's behavior.

Oh yes, how selfish. She wanted to be happy. Bad bad Sansa. No woman ever should try and pursue her own happiness. How could she? Also, she didn't betray her family since she did not knowlingly go to the "enemy" side. In Sansa's mind, the Lannister/Baratheons are her future family. They are not the enemy. "Betraying" implies you go to the enemy side. But to her, they aren't.

Besides, the betrothal wasn't called off, so your claim that she did it to become queen is faulty. She did it in order to not be shipped off to the north. She was, at this point, still meant for Joffrey, at least as far as she knew. Hence that point is bogus. You are putting information in Sansa's head she could not have had.

She is free to have wishes in her life and want to love the sadistic Joffrey who tried to kill her sister and disobey Ned and tell Cersei of his plans and I am free to criticize her as an airheaded nitwit who has no similarities with Ned. I lover how the Sansa fans talk about her agency and free will and then talk about her naivety as well. So she is supposedly the most naive person in Westeros but she should also be allowed to disobey those who know better than her like her father and exercise her free will.

Naivite and agency are not the same. Perhaps you should use a dictionary to see what they mean. Naivite is not in itself something that bars one from having agency. It probably means you are going to make mistakes (imagine that!) but you seem to conflate the two raelly quite horribly. Besides, I thought she "betrayed" Ned. Has she gone from "betraying" to "disobeying" now? What happened in two paragraphs?

Sansa has gone to the Septa Mordane school of thought. The Septa even tells her straight out that she is not supposed to think for herself. Arya is a bad student, i.e. she thinks for herself and doesn't conform well, and is penalised for it. Sansa does what she is told, is rewarded and ends up a talking bird. She is acting logically yet you insist she is an "airheaded nitwit". However, she quickly learns how to be something else than a talking bird once she goes to another sort of school than Septa Mordane's, but I guess you missed all the Sansa chapters post AGOT, yes? Otherwise, you might have noticed her change from talking bird to a character who has learnt to think for herself independent of others. A difficult concept to grasp, character development.

Archived