best episode of the 4 seasons?

rumple9

Apart from the fact that the Children of the Forest thing might have appeared hokey to some, I don't see why any of the others are that bothersome. Cersei telling Tywin about her and Jaime felt completely natural at that point considering the situation she was in- I actually loved that scene. I think the reason you might find them to be missteps is because things are different in the books, but I feel that all those scenes make sense and fit well in the context of the show.

By having Cersei threaten to reveal herself she is essentially threatening to commit suicide and murder Tommen. She has either gone mental or is just doing a really obvious bluff. Either way I don't think it's effective.

And yes the Tyrion scenes make sense within in the context of the show, but just because they make sense doesn't make it good. By removing the Tysha element they strip so much of the emotion and the tragedy out of those final scenes.

I don't have a problem with things being different from the books, I just have a problem when they neuter scenes from the books. For example I absolutely loved the way they handled the Battle at Castle Black. It's nothing like what happens in the ASoS and yet it is extremely well executed, well thought out, and it captures the themes and the spirit of the battle perfectly. They did their own thing and it was amazing. However if you are going to try and directly adapt one of the most memorable moments of the novel then you need to keep what makes it memorable. Without those moments and the motivation the scenes just lose their bite.

1. The Watchers on the Wall (S4E9)

2. The Children (S4E10)

- I know there are some fanfiction and dumb stuff (No Tysha, Cersei Jaime sex at the White Tower, Cersei Tywin confrontation, Brienne vs Sandor), but I still loved it. By

show standards it was 10, but by book adaptation standards it deserved 8 and half

3. And Now His Watch is Ended (S3E4)

4. The Golden Crown (S1E6)

5. You Win or You Die (S1E7)

6. What is Dead May Never Die (S2E3)

7. Blackwater (S2E9)

8. Oathkeeper (S4E4)

9. The Prince of Winterfell (S2E8)

10. The Bear and the Maiden Fair (S3E7)

Mine has got to be Blackwater (2x09). Every part of that episode was just brilliant; the tension in the build-up was very deftly done, and I'll never get tired of drunk Cersei.

The Rains of Castamere (3x09), The Laws of Gods and Men (4x06), The Lion and the Rose (4x02), and The Wolf and the Lion (1x05) are all up there.

1. The Watchers on the Wall (S4E9)

2. The Children (S4E10)

- I know there are some fanfiction and dumb stuff (No Tysha, Cersei Jaime sex at the White Tower, Cersei Tywin confrontation, Brienne vs Sandor), but I still loved it. By

show standards it was 10, but by book adaptation standards it deserved 8 and half

3. And Now His Watch is Ended (S3E4)

4. The Golden Crown (S1E6)

5. You Win or You Die (S1E7)

6. What is Dead May Never Die (S2E3)

7. Blackwater (S2E9)

8. Oathkeeper (S4E4)

9. The Prince of Winterfell (S2E8)

10. The Bear and the Maiden Fair (S3E7)

Interesting to see Prince of Winterfell and The Bear and the Maiden Fair on your list. I didn't expect them to make many peoples top ten lists. I loved the rest of your choices though!

1. The Rains of Castemere (3x09)

2. Blackwater (2x09)

3. The Lion and the Rose (4x02)

4. Baelor (1x09)

5. And Now His Watch Is Ended (3x04)

6. The Mountain and the Viper (4x08)

7. The Children (4x10)

8. Fire and Blood (1x10)

9. Valar Morghulis (2x10)

10. A Golden Crown (1x06)

11. Kissed by Fire (3x05)

12. Second Sons (3x08)

Red Weding was the most pathetic fail ever.

From the Northmen having no swords, bolton being BATMAN!

They fail having the Kartarks with poleaxes

they failed Boltons pink Darth Vader

no the bit where the Freys were using knives like its some Mafiasos

the bits they got right were Grey Wind and Talia "good bye Jeyne"

The attack on the Wall was alright accept Ygritt kiling more Crows that were at the walls

My favorite episode is probably Fire and Blood. That's where I was at the height of my excitement for the show. I was still Unsullied, didn't know there'd be a second season... I was kinda like WHAT? THAT'S IT? WHAT ABOUT ROBB'S WAR? WHAT ABOUT DAENERYS'S QUEST? And coincidentally the second season premiered a week later.

season 3 and 4 have been worse and worse, splitting ASOS into 2 has ruined the pacing.. but ah, couldn't have it in one, what can ya do???

2x09 Blackwater

Just awesome. Both within and outside the walls of King's Landing. No distractions from characters elsewhere also helped greatly.

4x02 The Lion and the Rose

Joffrey at his worst, and therefore best. The whole episode was a slow build-up to what was the inevitable final 2 minutes. I was still holding my breath even though I had already read the books. A hundred times more impressive than the Red Wedding.

4x07 Mockingbird

This was just a very strong episode all round in my opinion. Though there were no "defining moments", it was pretty much a flawless episode and that's why I rate it so highly. Also has one of my favourite of all scenes with Arya and the Hound.

2x09 Blackwater

Just awesome. Both within and outside the walls of King's Landing. No distractions from characters elsewhere also helped greatly.

4x02 The Lion and the Rose

Joffrey at his worst, and therefore best. The whole episode was a slow build-up to what was the inevitable final 2 minutes. I was still holding my breath even though I had already read the books. A hundred times more impressive than the Red Wedding.

4x07 Mockingbird

This was just a very strong episode all round in my opinion. Though there were no "defining moments", it was pretty much a flawless episode and that's why I rate it so highly. Also has one of my favourite of all scenes with Arya and the Hound.

Mockingbird is brilliant. It does have a defining moment. The start of Sansa's transformation.

Children is the best, but Mockingbird and Watchers on the Wall are also up there. The show is getting better to me, though I know a lot of people disagree.

I've only seen disagreement on that in dedicated book forums. I think that, as a TV show, it has progressively gotten better and better.

Anyways, to elaborate on my list of best episodes:

1. The Children

2. Blackwater

3. Kissed by Fire

4. Watchers on the Wall

5. The Rains of Castamere

6. Mockingbird

7. The Old Gods and the New

8. Baelor

9. The Mountain and the Viper

10. The Laws of Gods and Men

11. And Now His Watch Is Ended

12. Second Sons

I've only seen disagreement on that in dedicated book forums. I think that, as a TV show, it has progressively gotten better and better.

Anyways, to elaborate on my list of best episodes:

1. The Children

2. Blackwater

3. Kissed by Fire

4. Watchers on the Wall

5. The Rains of Castamere

6. Mockingbird

7. The Old Gods and the New

8. Baelor

9. The Mountain and the Viper

10. The Laws of Gods and Men

11. And Now His Watch Is Ended

12. Second Sons

Oh yes, I know. I'm a book-reader as well. I just separate the two. It's much more enjoyable that way.

Good list.

Archived