Exercise and Fitness - Pursuit of Excellence (or improvement, for start)

baxus

I don't listen to any music when working out outdoors.

It would distract me from my surroundings and I can't stand that - whether I'm running, rowing in a boat, snowboarding, riding a bike or whatever.

Indoor training is a whole other story, I listen to whatever is on as long as it's not extremely crappy and/or loud.

Had my last league of the rugby season, bit of a disappointing loss, last weekend and after a bit of a mini tour next weekend and a cup final the week after that it's rugby done for another year.

I really want to make the effort to try and stay/get fit before starting preseason this year. I say that every year and always end up doing bugger all for a couple of months then preseason's bloody horrible so I'm going to try and keep up the running plus I could do with finding a summer sport to do to keep me motivated. I used to play cricket in the summer but a. it's pretty expensive for something I'll probably end up sacking in halfway through the season when rugby starts back up and b. it's not really that good for staying fit anyway. A few of the guys from my rugby club play rugby league over the summer which I'm tempted by but I could do with a bit of a break from full contact sports, getting a bit old to do it all year through. I'll probably just end up playing a bit of five a side.

No idea if it's practical and it's not the cheapest of sports, but I was in pretty much the same situation when I took up rowing. Thoroughly recommend it - seriously good fitness (I lost 9kg March-August last year with minimal alterations to diet) and pretty low risk of injury compared to a contact sport or even something like running.

Out of curiosity, do you (anyone) listen to music when you work out? And if so, what do you listen to?

I've been toying with a playlist, but it's mostly just Led Zeppelin and Queen. Looking for recs, genre no issue.

Music is how I function! LoL

I listen to a lot of electronic, downtempo, and heavy metal

Though I will switch it up depending on my mood

I train for this sport: Nordic cross country-skiing and I am curious, how many of you have heard of it? It is a big sport In my country( Finland) even bigger in Norway, Sweden and Usa has too good skiers, but I understand that it does not get much attention there?

http://images.skiresorts-test.com/skigebiete/905/pitztaler-gletscher-rifflsee_langlauf_3_l1.jpg

I train for this sport: Nordic cross country-skiing and I am curious, how many of you have heard of it? It is a big sport In my country( Finland) even bigger in Norway, Sweden and Usa has too good skiers, but I understand that it does not get much attention there?

http://images.skiresorts-test.com/skigebiete/905/pitztaler-gletscher-rifflsee_langlauf_3_l1.jpg

I've done some cross-country skiing though not in any way competetively. Tough sport.

It is an olympic sport so I guess it's safe to say most of us have heard of it. ;)

I've never tried it myself, though I've heard it's one of the best cardio activities available.

2.5 hrs of karate last night after what feels like nearly 2 months of no workouts. I felt so giddy afterwards!

Today my legs are sore. The is obviously only one thing to do: MORE SQUATS! :P

Back to the gym tonight, just doing the treadmill (have a 5k mud run in July...my first!) and body weight exercises on the TRX

I'm still running but it isn't getting easier. In fact it's getting harder and I'm just ducking in air.

What's your running schedule?

Do you mix your runs or do you always run the similar distance at a similar pace?

Please elaborate on your goal and also the current state of affairs. Like, the time requirements, what you're currently running and how fast, when you need to meet this goal. That said, stop being a stubborn mule and listen to the people trying to help you. You should definitely not be running every day as a beginner. You need rest days and a training plan.

There are things you can do to improve performance, but they are tweaks when you are already running a lot. When you are starting out, the answer is just to run regularly, and as a new runner you will see some pretty significant gains pretty fast. But only if your training regimen makes sense.

Music is how I function! LoL

Its the only thing that lets me function on a treadmill, that's for sure! If my iPod dies, I stop.

I'm still running but it isn't getting easier. In fact it's getting harder and I'm just ducking in air.

I'm no expert on running by any stretch, but I find that making gains in running is a long, slow process that one barely notices. lol I don't find it gets any easier, and I'm rather miserable the whole time I do it.

Seriously, the only way I can run at all is by listening to music that I love, so I can try and pretend that its not happening. And the music has to be my all time favorites that I'm not bored to tears with that is upbeat enough to keep me going. Its kinda awful.

Sorry... that's not very helpful. :(

Unfortunately I don't know what the time requirement is going to be. I need to be able to complete a mile and a half by this time in June. I'm averaging 8 or so miles per hour and finishing in a little over five minutes. I could definitely live with scaling it back to every other day. I don't mean to be stubborn. I appreciate everything.

Unfortunately I don't know what the time requirement is going to be. I need to be able to complete a mile and a half by this time in June. I'm averaging 8 or so miles per hour and finishing in a little over five minutes. I could definitely live with scaling it back to every other day. I don't mean to be stubborn. I appreciate everything.

My pt req is 1.5 miles as well.

I've used stew smiths prepping for pt test program (Air Force). Look that up.

Yea, you need to slow down and get some distance under your belt. Slow way down to like 6.5-7mph (or even slower) and get yourself to the point where you can comfortably run 3 miles at that pace. It shouldn't take you that long to get up to that point, probably 3-4 weeks at most. Then you can work in a day where you focus on doing 1.5 miles at a faster pace. Trying to build up distance at a pace that's leaving you breathless after 5 minutes is not going to work well.

Archived