Calcio XXXV

Inigima

I don't really follow Spanish football, but I think Ronaldo would get cut some slack owing to the fact that he's a regular finalist and winner of the Ballon d'Or. So people know (or believe) he'll come back strong. Don't think it's got much to do with Spain/Portugal, but I could easily be mistaken.

I think a lot of the stick Bale gets is because he cost more than Ronaldo. Obviously that will never actually apply to Ronaldo.

I'm not at all sure it's fair to say a Spanish player wouldn't get the same stick in that position. But it's hard to say because a Spanish player is unlikely to ever cost that much - the Spanish league doesn't draw those kinds of prices so off the top of my head the only one who might conceivably cost them that much is David Silva (possibly Thiago Alcantara as well but he'd never go to them anyway).

Bale is obscenely lazy. When he loses a ball he has no desire to win it back. Tracking back is something that someone else should Do.

For what he cost his goal tally should be much higher to help people ignore his lack of desire to play defense.

Real Madrid fans are the worst, even worse than Sp*rs fans. In his first season in Madrid Bale scored 22 goals, including the winner against Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final. He also scored in the Champion's League final. This season he's scored 16 goals so far.

He's been getting shit from the crowd ever since shooting instead of passing to CR7, who then threw an oily hissy fit.

If Madrid don't want him, we'll give him loads of love at Arsenal (having offloaded Theo to Newcastle for £50+ million...)..

Two part question here:

1) So I was watching ESPN FC (ESPN's daily soccer commentary program) yesterday and they were discussing how much crap Bale was getting. One of the comments went something like, "He wouldn't get this much stick if he was a Spanish player." Which makes sense a little bit. But I got the feeling (though they didn't expressly say it) that Ronaldo was included in that. But, he's from Portugal. Does he get more latitude because Portugal is *almost* Spain? Or does that not factor in, you think?

and 2) Does anyone else watch ESPN FC? I DVR it every day and usually catch it at some point in the evening. What's the general consensus on it? Overall decent program, or not very good?

I used to watch it back when we had ESPN, it was a good show but most of it was just trash talking and biased views. The only guys whose opinion is worth any value is Gabriel Marcotti and Sid Lowe.

I guess we could offer Bale sanctuary at Goodison. We've even got Aaron Lennon to keep him company.

ETA: Aslo, the point about Bale costing a little money has some bearing on how he's viewed, and what's expected of him.

Real'll want a fuckton of cash for him so there are only a couple of options.

United are probably the only English club who could afford him, and not fall foul of FFP. Maybe they can do a swap deal for Di Maria...?

Maybe they can do a swap deal for Di Maria...?

That would be poor managment for Real Madrid. If Bale left Real, it should be for cash, not for a former madridista player.

Anyway I don't think ultras' opinion (which changes every sunday at best) can affect a millionare top team market strategy,

unless they are stupid morons, and they are not.

Archived