Calcio XXXV

Inigima

Re: DeAndre Yedlin, I don't think it's a surprise that he's not featured this far.

He's young, which means he's still developing, and he just made a jump from the MLS to the PL - which is a massive leap in quality. New signings from other countries often take half a year to a year to settle. For him, it's not just settling in but also taking the next step. Give him a year.

Re: DeAndre Yedlin, I don't think it's a surprise that he's not featured this far.

He's young, which means he's still developing, and he just made a jump from the MLS to the PL - which is a massive leap in quality. New signings from other countries often take half a year to a year to settle. For him, it's not just settling in but also taking the next step. Give him a year.

This is probably a reason why Americans don't take the chance. if they're not going to play why bother. Fulham is the only club that seemed to give them a real opportunity to play. I don't know much about the sport but how much development can take place on the practice field?

I don't think it's a bad thing that USMNT players are coming home. I'd prefer they play in Europe if they were getting minutes but DeAndre Yedlin hasn't even been on the pitch yet.

Really shouldn't underestimate the leap in quality to the top of the Premier League. Spurs, to their credit, have been pretty open about how they're going to take their time with him. he's definitely in their plans.

This is probably a reason why Americans don't take the chance. if they're not going to play why bother. Fulham is the only club that seemed to give them a real opportunity to play. I don't know much about the sport but how much development can take place on the practice field?

On this... it's probably a reason why Americans don't jump across the ocean, but to be brutally honest a lot of the reason is the gap in quality. Would argue that the mediocre level MLS players could never make it in the Premier League at the moment.

The training ground question - A lot I would think. Don't forget that he's learning about a whole new football culture as well, it's not just a matter of getting his positioning right. So much more goes on behind the scenes than we know.

I'm fully aware of the difference in quality. I can't watch English Football in the morning and MLS at night without comparing it to a bunch of six year olds bunching up. Wasn't Bradley even coming off the bench in Italy? And Jozy couldn't hack it in England and I suppose Dempsey came back for money.

Right now, soccer in the US is really, truly on the verge, but there is only one path forward. Either you have a strong men's national team with players in the best leagues in the world competing and succeeding at that level OR you build a questionably decent domestic league with these returned crop of players. But are you really going to build a strong league and following around older Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley and a highly inconsistent Jozy Altidore? Probably not. It's going to take years and only then if an academy-like system is implemented now.

Almost all the quality players in the MLS are not American/domestic.

Canada is in the same hole, with even less great MNT players. Personally, I'd rather Canada and the US build kickass national teams at the current expense of the MLS. I think if they are successful a strong MLS can follow. Not the other way around.

Bradley was good at Roma. Jozy could have played somewhere in Europe for sure. Sunderland is not really a place to excel.

I have been watching mls since the first days. a guy like Brian Mcbride succeeded for his country because of his work abroad.

Beating up the mls is not going to get the best from a player.

I support my league and local team. But as a supporter of the usmnt I know that our best players playing abroad is the way to success.

I don't know much about the sport but how much development can take place on the practice field?

To answer it as shortly as possible - a shitload!

The best example for that is Zoran Tošić.

I can already hear you ask who the hell is that.

In short, he's a left winger/midfielder who played for Partizan Belgrade in Serbia and got signed by Manchester United along with Adem Ljajic (Ljajic singed a pre-contract because he was a minor at the time and Utd passed on signing him when he turned 18, so he signed for Fiorentina where he was punched by his manager and ended up in Roma; also known for the whole "I will sing an anthem/I won't sing an anthem/I didn't know the words/Pharaoh, set my people free incident with Siniša Mihajlović who was Serbian national team manager at the time).

But let's get back to Tošić.

As you can imagine, he didn't go straight to the starting lineup of Man Utd, but played for the reserve side, ended up on loan in Bundesliga after a while and was sold to CSKA Moscow.

The thing is, training with Man Utd's first team and reserve team and playing for the reserve side made him a significantly better player.

So much so, that I could hardly recognize him after seeing him play for Serbian national team for the first time after signing for Man Utd.

How did you miss that?

The league is expanding like it's filled with helium and the American soccer landscape is chaotic. Expansion teams, teams who want to expand, cities who want their teams to join MLS, cities who want soccer teams at all, cities that have too many soccer teams, will-they-won't-they cities (like Miami), they-did-and-failed-but-want-to-again cities (like Miami). It's hard to remember everything.

Last I remembered Atlanta was suffering an identity crisis and being quit by Eric Wynalda. Some Googling suggests that they still haven't picked a new name and are just being referred to as "Atlanta MLS Team." I think I can be forgiven.

The league is expanding like it's filled with helium and the American soccer landscape is chaotic. Expansion teams, teams who want to expand, cities who want their teams to join MLS, cities who want soccer teams at all, cities that have too many soccer teams, will-they-won't-they cities (like Miami), they-did-and-failed-but-want-to-again cities (like Miami). It's hard to remember everything.

Last I remembered Atlanta was suffering an identity crisis and being quit by Eric Wynalda. Some Googling suggests that they still haven't picked a new name and are just being referred to as "Atlanta MLS Team." I think I can be forgiven.

I think you can too. You haven't lost any street cred.

Not very good?

Underwhelming, lacking direction and living off past glories whilst drowning in money and pretending everything is ok is what I was going for.

But yours works too.

Archived