Worst Fantasy Book Adaptations?

Matrim Fox Cauthon

I saw Stardust and thought it was at least visually impressive and had heart. But I did not read the book and so cannot really judge it as an adaptation.

I personally think that Lynch's Dune is really bad. In the recent documentary Jodorwsky's Dune, that director recalls feeling a huge moment of triumph upon viewing Lynch's Dune in getting to revel in how bad it was.

It's hard for me to count Eragon since I thought the film was far superior to the book (not really a compliment since they are both terrible). At the very least it took less time to plow through, which has to count for something.

There is one exception to this. Beowulf (1999) with Christopher Lambert. It's undeniably a B-movie, but Seven Hells it's fun.

This one is really good (2005) -- a UK, Canadian and Icelandic co-production, that states upfront it's loosely based on the poem. Highly recommended.

I read the book after seeing the movie Stardust and I liked the movie better. I'd probably like the book better had I read it first though.

The Hobbit cartoon was pretty great too, it had something of a cult following during my youth before Peter Jackson.

Lord of the Rings story wasn't really a household thing back then.

I really don't get all this hate towards the Hobbit... as a massive Tolkien fan, I really enjoyed the films, I even think that The Desolation is better than The Two towers and The Return of the King

But nearly-flying Legolas? And headshots of Dain? Dain's language is terrible. After all he's a noble and lord... but in film he names king "faithless woodland spirit" and uses phrases "Let's give this bastards a good hammering " and "I'll split his head open"

http://youtu.be/Lf5PUkBsHPA

http://youtu.be/oOfaIQXk2Ec

But nearly-flying Legolas? And headshots of Dain? Dain's language is terrible. After all he's a noble and lord... but in film he names king "faithless woodland spirit" and uses phrases "Let's give this bastards a good hammering " and "I'll split his head open"

http://youtu.be/Lf5PUkBsHPA

http://youtu.be/oOfaIQXk2Ec

I always appreciate a good sweary upper-classperson. It has to be done right, but there's nothing wrong with it in principle. The idea that nobles are prim and proper is a relatively modern one; dial it back a bit to when they were warriors first and foremost and the idea that they don't swear and talk magniloquently and artfully rather than just saying what they think is necessary at the time starts to look silly.

Just about my favourite line from Robert Harris's Lustrum came when Metellus Pius barged into a farcical adoption ceremony, shouting "What the fuck is going on here?" The line is pretty ordinary, but the identity of the speaker and the subversion of the expectation that high nobility mind their language, gives it oomph.

See also, and although not a noble someone who is otherwise very aristocratic in manner, M. Gustave from Grand Budapest Hotel, who swears like a docker when the situation demands.

That said, Dain's portrayal did annoy me. The headbutting more than anything else - it would have been fine as a one-off but the repetition, especially against enemies wearing helmets, was just silly.

I watched about 20 minutes of Neverending Story and stopped it because the film is just too ugly. Like, not pretty. The puppets used to play the non-human characters are hideous, while the book told described all those in a very beautiful way that make you think everything has some kind of magic in it ... plus the cringeworthy song during the opening credits. I did not want the ugly pictures from the film ruin my pretty imaginatory pictures from the book, so I stopped. Maybe not "worst" fantasy adaptation, but has to be up there somewhere.

Also, yes, Golden Compass and Eragon.

What was the name of the Neil Gaiman book that was adapted? I remember Robert DeNiro in the movie, and I remember not liking it much a all.

The Dresden Files was also an incredibly bad adaptation. I wish someone would get the rights and do a better version.

I love Stardust!!!! Great movie!!!

I watched about 20 minutes of Neverending Story and stopped it because the film is just too ugly. Like, not pretty. The puppets used to play the non-human characters are hideous, while the book told described all those in a very beautiful way that make you think everything has some kind of magic in it ... plus the cringeworthy song during the opening credits. I did not want the ugly pictures from the film ruin my pretty imaginatory pictures from the book, so I stopped. Maybe not "worst" fantasy adaptation, but has to be up there somewhere.

Also, yes, Golden Compass and Eragon.

Neverending Story is great!!! Quite different from the book and I would truly love to see a very faithful adaption of the book!! But neverending story movie is a pretty damn faithful adaptation of the first 12 or so chapters of the novel!!!

I'll echo those who liked Stardust, but haven't read the book.

Me too, I love Stardust, I wasn't actually aware there was a book until after I had watched it.

Echoing the Golden Compass and the Hobbit.

Has anyone seen the Pratchett stuff that was adapted? I haven't got around to it and I am curious to know how good the adaptations are

ETA: oh, and though I haven't been to see it, I guess Seventh Son sounds like a terrible adaptation.

Tbh I don't really read much fantasy outside of Tolkien and Martin. But even the show version of Game of Thrones is better than Peter Jacksons version of The Hobbit.

Peter Jacksons LOTR however was easily the best of any of these adaptations (particuarly the extended cuts).

Also, I'm only really a casual Harry Potter fan, and I thought most of the movies were okay, but the one based on the sixth book that was basically "Puberty: The Movie...And Snape Killing Dumbledore" was kind of cringeworthy at points.

Neverending Story is great!!! Quite different from the book and I would truly love to see a very faithful adaption of the book!! But neverending story movie is a pretty damn faithful adaptation of the first 12 or so chapters of the novel!!!

Really? I usually like adaptations that follow the book closely. So I guess it is surprising that I did not like this one (as much as I saw of it). But as I said, everything they show is just cringeworthy ugly to my eyes. Like that stone man and a giant snail, so hideous and out-of-scale puppets and no facial expressions and random smoke to cover some parts of the screen ... bleh.

The Terry Pratchett movies The Hogfather, Colour of Magic and Going Postal are all brilliant tbh.

I really liked The Hogfather but wasn't quite so keen on Going Postal (although it's not bad), I haven't seen the other one.

I really liked The Hogfather but wasn't quite so keen on Going Postal (although it's not bad), I haven't seen the other one.

The Hogfather is definitely the best one and I usually watch it annually with my family but being in Uni with no TV I haven't really watched it in a couple years. Must remedy that soon...

I love the Hogfather book but the adaptation just didn't do it for me for whatever reason. It was very faithful, but seemed to be lacking a degree of energy, somehow. When first broadcast it also spent far too long spoilering the second part and then recapping the first, although I imagine that's not a problem on DVD.

Archived