The Complete Winds of Winter Resource v. 2

BryndenBFish

It's a reference to Wild Cards, which he just completed and delivered, thereby getting "another monkey off my back".

He'll probably post a pic of King Kong dead again once he's finished WoW.

He did something similar for his completion of ADWD.

13 POV characters seems pretty straightforward. The prologue won't be counted (as normal) and we have nine already: Aeron, Arianne, Arya, Barristan, Bran, Sansa, Theon, Tyrion, Victarion.

Five more is pretty obvious: Daenerys, Cersei, either Jaime or Brienne (they're in the same place, so both is unnecessary), Davos and Samwell Tarly.

Asha won't be necessary as she'll be with Theon; Jon Connington won't be necessary as that story is being taken over by Arianne; Jon and Mel won't be necessary as we'll likely completely sit out on the Wall to start with (I expect them to return mid-book or towards the end though).

That only leaves us one character overboard. That can perhaps be down to one POV being killed off pretty quickly (so if Barristan dies after just three chapters, maybe all written for ADWD, then GRRM might not have been counting him) or maybe a character having only one chapter in the early book and coming back later (or not at all). It's entirely possible, if unlikely, that Sam only gets one chapter as a sort of "reading montage", or Bran gets a single infodump chapter and that's about it.

Another possibility is that Aeron has been ditched - GRRM definitely wrote stuff for him, but what's going on back on the Iron Islands seems to be small fry right now and might have been jettisoned in favour of other storylines, with us finding out Aeron's stuff from other characters.

The other entry I looked at was his Buy TOR books entry. I didn't much follow this Sad Puppies malarky, but there's only one book I want to order from TOR, thanks GRRM, oh, I suppose I might buy Knight of the Seven Kingdoms when that comes out.

Tor publishes Wild Cards, but it's Bantam Spectra (part of Random House) that publishes ASoIaF.

so will ADoS be grandson of Kong, lol

George referred to ASoS as Kong as well, if only a couple of times. I think it's not a naming convention to take too seriously.

Asha won't be necessary as she'll be with Theon; Jon Connington won't be necessary as that story is being taken over by Arianne; Jon and Mel won't be necessary as we'll likely completely sit out on the Wall to start with (I expect them to return mid-book or towards the end though).

Aren't we going to see the fall of Storms End though. I highly doubt it will be from an Arianne chapter. Also I really doubt George is just going to ignore The Wall story line in this up coming book, he out right said we'd be seeing more of The Others. So unless they're simply attacking Bran at the cave we're getting a Wall POV.

Did he say the Wall? He definitely said we'd see way more north of the Wall, which we'd find out was much bigger than previously thought and so on, but I assumed that'd be covered by Bran.

Otherwise we may not start off with the Wall - and for those reading straight through, it kind of takes away the impact of having Jon dead if he is resurrected within ten chapters - but return there later in the book. If we didn't only have seven (cough) books to go, I'd even say that GRRM might be tempted to skip out on Jon altogether in TWoW and we only find out what happens to him in the final chapter. But that seems unlikely, time-wise.

Good catch on Storm's End. That would seem a shoe-in for JonCon. However, GRRM has said that we'd see a convergence of POVs in TWoW and that will remove the need for some characters as several storylines can now be advanced through one POV rather than several.

Did he say the Wall? He definitely said we'd see way more north of the Wall, which we'd find out was much bigger than previously thought and so on, but I assumed that'd be covered by Bran.

Otherwise we may not start off with the Wall - and for those reading straight through, it kind of takes away the impact of having Jon dead if he is resurrected within ten chapters - but return there later in the book. If we didn't only have seven (cough) books to go, I'd even say that GRRM might be tempted to skip out on Jon altogether in TWoW and we only find out what happens to him in the final chapter. But that seems unlikely, time-wise.

Good catch on Storm's End. That would seem a shoe-in for JonCon. However, GRRM has said that we'd see a convergence of POVs in TWoW and that will remove the need for some characters as several storylines can now be advanced through one POV rather than several.

Convergence, yes and GRRM keeps on saying over and over again that POV character might (Read absolutely are) be in danger of dying in TWOW. Victarion & Connington would be early favorites to buy it. Perhaps GRRM has written/wrote all the Connington and Victarion chapters prior to that interview and is counting only those POVs that push beyond what he originally intended for ADWD. Perhaps this means that GRRM originally intended for more than Quentyn & Jon to buy it at the end of ADWD. After TWOW comes out, I'd absolutely love to see an interviewer talk about the division of POV characters and Martin's decision-making process in structuring the end of ADWD & start of TWOW.

Edit: And Martin at least said there will be a lot of stuff will happen at the Wall in TWOW. So, not sure if we won't get any coverage at the Wall until mid-to-late TWOW. Expecting a Ghost chapter early on, perhaps a Melisandre chapter as well.

Jesus, I would hope that after the fiasco of Feast, he would never again omit one of the main characters for an entire book. No Jon at all or one chapter would be terrible. It's bad enough it sounds like Dany may not get to Westeros until the end or not even then.

Well this will clearly happen for Jamie and Brienne and Asha and Theon. Tyrion could possibly take Barristan's place as the Meereen POV.

Arianne moving closer to Young Griff would be a reason to remove JonCon's POV's, though I still think we'll get to see Storm's End fall from his POV first. Mel will also probably replace Jon's POV for what's going on at The Wall.

Well this will clearly happen for Jamie and Brienne and Asha and Theon. Tyrion could possibly take Barristan's place as the Meereen POV.

Arianne moving closer to Young Griff would be a reason to remove JonCon's POV's, though I still think we'll get to see Storm's End fall from his POV first. Mel will also probably replace Jon's POV for what's going on at The Wall.

But we know that both Barristan and Tyrion are going to be a POV. So both of them seem to be part of the 13 POVs Winds will have..

But we know that both Barristan and Tyrion are going to be a POV. So both of them seem to be part of the 13 POVs Winds will have..

I just don't see the 13 POV window sticking, unless certain story lines are completely ignored in this book. I also sadly think Barristan is doomed, but who knows; maybe Ser. Badass will live to fight another day................maybe, lol

Jesus, I would hope that after the fiasco of Feast, he would never again omit one of the main characters for an entire book. No Jon at all or one chapter would be terrible. It's bad enough it sounds like Dany may not get to Westeros until the end or not even then.

I swear, all you do is moan...all the fucking time. Feast was a better book for a lack of certain main characters.

No Jon PoV does not mean no Jon at all. Besides, there's far more interesting things happening elsewhere so I'm not too bothered. Seeing Jon through Bran's PoV would serve the purpose.

I swear, all you do is moan...all the fucking time. Feast was a better book for a lack of certain main characters.

No Jon PoV does not mean no Jon at all. Besides, there's far more interesting things happening elsewhere so I'm not too bothered. Seeing Jon through Bran's PoV would serve the purpose.

I disagree, structurally AFFC is a complete mess, especially because you have to literally go back in time when you open up ADWD, only for the plot to catch up and go beyond AFFC. I still have friends who are confused about why anyone would write two books this way.

No it wasn't, sorry, it was a terribly structured book that his editors should never have allowed go to print. No Jon POV...therefore, further drawing out the stupid cliffhanger for what, another 5 years? would be insane. I suppose we could see Jon through Mel's POV, which would work absent Jon being awake, but I believe the poster was talking about no wall POV at all, e.g. the wall story is not in the next book or until the final chapter, which would be repeating the same mistake he made with Feast/Dance. And yeah, I am going to keep saying it was a mistake forever and ever and ever. Seeing Jon through Bran would be fairly lame, people seem to want to use Bran now as a stand in for anything and everything.

I disagree, structurally AFFC is a complete mess, especially because you have to literally go back in time when you open up ADWD, only for the plot catch up and go beyond AFFC. I still have friends who are confused about why anyone would write two books this way.

No it wasn't, sorry, it was a terribly structured book that his editors should never have allowed go to print. No Jon POV...therefore, further drawing out the stupid cliffhanger for what, another 5 years? would be insane. I suppose we could see Jon through Mel's POV, which would work absent Jon being awake, but I believe the poster was talking about no wall POV at all, e.g. the wall story is not in the next book or until the final chapter, which would be repeating the same mistake he made with Feast/Dance. And yeah, I am going to keep saying it was a mistake forever and ever and ever. Seeing Jon through Bran would be fairly lame, people seem to want to use Bran now as a stand in for anything and everything.

I guess when it comes to waiting for a book for 5 years (or more) after ASoS, then the structure of the book would be something to complain about. Given that I read the books all at once, I have to say I was happy with the structuring. I thought it was okay to have some of the characters in AFFC and the rest in ADWD (though I can't imagine waiting for a book for so long, 5 or 6 years was it, after reading a whole book with no Tyrion, Jon and Dany).

That's just me though, each to their own. I enjoyed AFFC and ADWD a lot

Terribly structured it definitely wasn't. Do you even know what that means? Unless you are one of the poor souls who had to wait 10 years for the book then yeah maybe...but I didn't have to and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the book structurally. Hell, it was actually a very compact book and aside from maybe a couple of Brienne chapters too many it didn't mess around. If you want to look at a structurally poor book look at DwD where some chapters really looked out of place and should really have been in the Feast.

I just don't see the 13 POV window sticking, unless certain story lines are completely ignored in this book. I also sadly think Barristan is doomed, but who knows; maybe Ser. Badass will live to fight another day................maybe, lol

But the point was, that they are both confirmed POV's.. We've had chapters from both of them already. Even if the storytelling of Meereen is eventually limited to one POV (which does not need to be the case, as Sansa and Tyrion were both present in King's Landing to tell us about the happenings there for entire Clash) to one of the two, they are both present in the POV count of Winds.

Archived