[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

To be fair, an adaption in an animated style would bypass all the bullshit with concerns over the expense of battles (e.g. battle of the Green Fork/battle of the Whispering Wood/relieving the siege of Riverun contained in a very tight space!), the characters could look perfect (e.g. Daenerys, Jon) and controversy/difficulties like Cersei's Walk of Shame would be easier. Not sure how viable an animated attempt at ASoIaF would be though. People still ignorantly dismiss anything animated as children's rubbish, though that is dependant on the actual style.

Adapting aSoIaF was more than possible. The problem was that the showrunners attached to the deal are novices in way over their heads. They're simply not up to the task.

As of now, I think our best hope is an animated adaptation.

Lets hope there will be an animated edition that would be epic. Sign it up with Netflix after giving a credible Anime company the right to adapt faithfully. That could take off

Audiobooks with all the good actors from the show :) That'd work for me!

LeCygne, I'm mostly spitballing but Sophie did mention founding her own royal house and distancing herself from her family because they all died (whut?) and they are pushing the Cersei parallels with her a bit don't you think? Remember when sympathetic Cersei told Sansa that even if you don't love your husband, you love your kids. So I think there is honestly a better chance we get Sansa with a Baby Bolton than Lady Stoneheart at this point!

Mostly I'm just pointing out the stupidity of Littlefinger giving away Sansa in marriage to Ramsay after we've heard Tywin insisting that Tyrion get a child on Sansa because that is the one way to make sure of his claim on her. (I wonder if we'll get Sansa lamenting that she didn't sleep with St Ty while she had the chance!) Did LF also educate Sansa about Moon Tea and contraceptives or is this also part of her offscreen empowerment? Who knows?

Lets hope there will be an animated edition that would be epic. Sign it up with Netflix after giving a credible Anime company the right to adapt faithfully. That could take off

Can you direct us to any good anime styles? Ones that are realistic as possible I mean, not the exaggerated features, e.g. eyes.

Most of the continuity has gone. I don't think they even remember how they started anymore. This season has wiped the entire slate clean out, removing most of any continuity from the last and any before that. it is like watching a brand new show every season with occasionally the same cast. Some characters have just gone and disappeared, some plotlines which may have stayed upon a truer course within adaptation have also vanished

In my opinion, this was the inevitable result of D & D's "improvements". Every time D & D decide to "improve" something, they are taking a gamble. Some of their gambles might pay off, but most of them end up being losers. They might have hit a few home runs here and there, but overall, their batting average stinks.

The problem, I think, is that you can't think of an "improvement" in isolation. You have to think how the "improvement" is going to affect the entire trajectory of the story. For instance, you might think the Vale story line is boring, but before you change it, you have to ask yourself how "improving" it might effect the rest of the story. In my view, D & D have been quite myopic with their "improvements".

A good Anime I was impressed with was Dantes Inferno an animated epic

*Googles*

Oh now that is nice... obviously a lot of the colouring/abstract imagery is far from much ASoIaF's stuff but that could be really good. Course voice acting/directing is important too.

In my opinion, this was the inevitable result of D & D's "improvements". Every time D & D decide to "improve" something, they are taking a gamble. Some of their gambles might pay off, but most of them end up being losers. They might have hit a few home runs here and there, but overall, their batting average stinks.

The problem, I think, is that you can't think of an "improvement" in isolation. You have to think how the "improvement" is going to affect the entire trajectory of the story. For instance, you might think the Vale story line is boring, but before you change it, you have to ask yourself how "improving" it might effect the rest of the story. In my view, D & D have been quite myopic with their "improvements".

Their "improvements" should be taking scenes mentioned in the books but never shown and adding the to screen, or implies ones. Or simply translating monologue into spoken dialogue (though not an improvement). Their introduction for Tywin with Jaime is a good example of adding their own material that detracts from nothing. Or how about the scene in Tyrion's ASoS chapter when he talks about telling Sansa of the Red Wedding, leaving and then hearing her cry from the other room?

This is exactly the problem.

They seem to do everything in isolation, as if they're doing a sitcom where every episode is self contained instead of a multi year saga where the story arcs are long and complicated and intertwined. They have no conception of the butterfly effect.

To be fair, an adaption in an animated style would bypass all the bullshit with concerns over the expense of battles (e.g. battle of the Green Fork/battle of the Whispering Wood/relieving the siege of Riverun contained in a very tight space!), the characters could look perfect (e.g. Daenerys, Jon) and controversy/difficulties like Cersei's Walk of Shame would be easier. Not sure how viable an animated attempt at ASoIaF would be though. People still ignorantly dismiss anything animated as children's rubbish, though that is dependant on the actual style.

And yet shows like The Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra - the latter of which Nickelodeon didn't even air on TV near the end - are as funny, thrilling, and mature as anything else out there.

Like video games, cartoons are an under-appreciated medium.

I know we've been there about how quiet Martin's been this year about the show. This is just another example:

"Any audiobook fans out there?

Somehow, with Puppygate and the Cocteau and travel and cons WILD CARDS and (yes!!!) working on WINDS, I neglected to mention the OLD VENUS audiobook, which came out a few months ago.

Puppygate, the theatre, travel and cons, Wild Cards, Winds... So many things! And GoT is not one of them.

Not to mention she's already given away the fact that she isn't up to the challenge. When she met Roose for the first time in Winterfell, that five second death stare gave her away. No manipulator would ever make that mistake. It's amateur hour. If Roose missed that and didn't know what it meant he is too stupid to have gotten as far as he has. We get this look so the audience can say, "look how much she hates him"!!! Which we already knew. Instead our reaction should be that Roose is going to have this girl watched very carefully.

Like when she went from a bleak stare, barely able to look at LF, saying "I know what you want"... to sashaying out in a slinky black dress and giving him one of the most smug little smirks ever...

Also, Roose can barely control Ramsay, good luck with that.

And yet shows like The Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra - the latter of which Nickelodeon didn't even air on TV near the end - are as funny, thrilling, and mature as anything else out there.

Like video games, cartoons are an under-appreciated medium.

Although in an utterly perfect world I think a live action one would always surpass an animated, it is not a perfect one, thus I think it is more likely for animation to be a superior adaption, providing it is of high quality/beautiful (e.g. capturing the Wall intrigue and personality like this: http://s285.photobucket.com/user/Abstract71/media/ASOIAF%20Places/thewall.jpg.html),the voice actors are all brilliant, the directing is excellent, the music is riveting (the music for GoT is actually really good for the most part).

It's more likely to allow for the most faithful possible adaption and be a masterpiece in its own right if treated with the same dignity as a live action adaption.

*Googles*

Oh now that is nice... obviously a lot of the colouring/abstract imagery is far from much ASoIaF's stuff but that could be really good. Course voice acting/directing is important too.

There are plenty to choose from. Traditionally the style is quite japanese I might consider looking into some of those companies who have been around since Manga faithful to their comics, fist of the north star, street fighter, Anime recently Deathnote etc.

There a lot more globally who are making featured anime productions. They sells sign it to Netflix and everybody with a PS, XBOX, tablet ,mobile device, smart tv would watch.

There are plenty to choose from. Traditionally the style is quite japanese I might consider looking into some of those companies who have been around since Manga faithful to their comics, fist of the north star, street fighter, Anime recently Deathnote etc.

There a lot more globally who are making featured anime productions. They sells sign it to Netflix and everybody with a PS, XBOX, tablet ,mobile device, smart tv would watch.

Something that can capture human emotion very well with facial expressions, the way the eyes move, glisten, etc. things like that would be crucial for making adaptions of Theon's ADwD really work. I'm not even sure if that is possible given my ignorance of animation styles.

By the way, you know the way that scene was directed from Apocalypse Now when Brando's character is first introduced? The "Errand boy" scene. Does anyone else imagine that with the Catelyn-Jaime Riverun confrontation? Only two cuts/shots with the darkness/torch light creating that effect on their faces.

OMG I just read an article that D&D lifted the head of craft food services to episode director. Apparently, the meal that Tommen was eating when Margary burst in and demanded he release Loras was "spot on" or some such thing. They said with brilliant observational and designing skills like that he must be given an episode to direct.

OMG I just read an article that D&D lifted the head of craft food services to episode director. Apparently, the meal that Tommen was eating when Margary burst in and demanded he release Loras was "spot on" or some such thing. They said with brilliant observational and designing skills like that he must be given an episode to direct.

No way. This is NOT true. Tell me it is not true, please.

Archived