(book spoilers!) FTW

jontargaryen_

Why would this happen?

There is a giant magical wall of ice between the others and westeros, and you are saying the ones that man the wall are just going to off themselves, thereby making the most dramatic thing in the show completely useless.

Makes no sense.

It's a big wall. It either needs to be defended successfully, or breached spectacularly.

The most "dramatic" thing in the show isn't the Wall-- It's the Others. The Wall is not being successfully defended, the Others will breach/get past the Wall and make it to the Trident per Dany's vision imo. I expect the aftermath of the Ides to be catastrophic to the NW and the Wall. I don't see any other way for it not to be.

They could pull it off by showing Orell warging into the eagle in the "previously on," and then if Ghost is present for FTW, the camera shifts to Ghost's POV like when Bran Wargs into Summer.

It's so odd to me...Varamyr was cast for this season right? Is he just gonna show up in this episode and quickly set up the warging thing? Has he been cut? Someone said he appeared briefly in Hardhome as the guy who came out of the tent with all the dogs right before the Others attacked. Is he dead? Why cast him just for that then?

The most "dramatic" thing in the show isn't the Wall-- It's the Others. The Wall is not being successfully defended, the Others will breach/get past the Wall and make it to the Trident per Dany's vision imo. I expect the aftermath of the Ides to be catastrophic to the NW and the Wall. I don't see any other way for it not to be.

They are one in the same. The Wall does not exist but for the Others. You're saying the others will just go around it or breach an undefended wall. Snoooooooozers. What a waste of a set piece. I mean, why even have the damn thing?

Blow a giant hole in it. Preferably with a mislabeled horn.

They are one in the same. The Wall does not exist but for the Others. You're saying the others will just go around it or breach an undefended wall. Snoooooooozers. What a waste of a set piece. I mean, why even have the damn thing?

They've already used that set piece to great effect. Why have the Wall? To fall of course :cool4: . I think it would be classic GRRM to subvert expectations like that. But yes, I could definitely see your point as well, particularly regarding the Horn of Joramun.

It's so odd to me...Varamyr was cast for this season right? Is he just gonna show up in this episode and quickly set up the warging thing? Has he been cut? Someone said he appeared briefly in Hardhome as the guy who came out of the tent with all the dogs right before the Others attacked. Is he dead? Why cast him just for that then?

I don't remember if he was cast or not, I thought I read on here that the female wildling chief was supposed to replace him, but that made zero sense as she was already killed off.

I hope they don't have a 5 second conversation to set it up. I've never liked the theory that Jon wargs into Ghost after FTW, but if it's only temporary I guess it won't be bad. It makes sense thematically as he's the child of a Stark (First Men/wargs) and Targaryen (Essos/fire magic) that he would warg into Ghost and then be resurrected by Mel's fire magic.

No. The Others can't breach the Wall.

Men have to take the Wall down. That's how this works. It will be much more exciting. The Wall will come down by incompetence or treachery.

I reckon Edd will die during FTW, then when Jon is resurected he will have no friends at the wall (presuming Sam is shipped off to Oldtown)

The NW is basically just Jon, Sam, Olly, Thorne and Edd at this point and the rest are extras. With Sam being sent away and Olly going traitor, Edd is an essential 'familiar face' to keep people invested in the NW as a whole.

I can't see him being killed off...at least not until there are more characters in Jon's plot.

I would have preferred for Pyp to take on the Bowen Marsh role instead of Olly. You can't take that kid seriously, despite his tragic story, and Jon being killed by a Kid just doesn't have the same effect, especially the same character that killed Ygritte. It feels like reading a good fanfiction and then a OC character comes in and takes too much of the limelight....basically, it is that. :dunno:

Find out? They announced Kit's contract a long time ago. It is not about finding out as much as it is already known. And a little bit of a play off your handle, when this information gets out several fiery hands start pushing this stuff out through every medium (entertainment mags, the internet, news, etc.).

Everyone who pays attention to this show knows Kit is back. Even if they didn't, it takes one person to be like WTF this is stupid. Then blod about how killing Jon doesn't make sense because he is currently filming for S6 and will film for S7.

I would be willing to be if thy end just as the books, something like that will pop up within a week.

Yes, it's known but not by the majority of the audience. And yes, they can find out some time after the initial shock of believing Jon has been killed... I don't see this as a problem.

1. would be boring and absolutely uninteresting. Why would they do it then? Just cut it completely then.

Sorry for wasting your time, wont happen again.

That is sort of the problem for me with the books as well. In some ways it feels somewhat unnecessary to have Jon stabbed, especially if he is suppose to return or just be injured. It would just feel like a cliffhanger for shock value, and a 5 - 6 years cliffhanger at that is somewhat over the top.

There really needs to be some kind of payoff here. The most logical conclusion would be that the Nights Watch falls, when Jon is there he keeps things together so he basically has to be taken out of the equation. Taking Jon out also gives the Wildlings and the Nights Watch a further motive for direct confrontation. What is left of the Nights Watch will be crushed, their best fighters are mostly dead and the Wildlings outnumber them by far.

It just seem impossible that the situation would be repairable after Jon is stabbed. The Nights Watch members who are left simply dont have the tact, understanding and diplomacy to work with the Wildlings, and they dont have the numbers to control them. This is also a big reason why this whole assassination attempt is such an incredibly dumb decision. It will be practically impossible for the Nights Watch to exist after this move. In the show this whole situation is even more exaggerated.

Yeah, Jon will be warging into Ghost! I completely forgot about this interview- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvVluNxujc (skip to 20.35)

Why else would he have said that? I still wish the show had set up Jon being a potential warg but I guess this is happening.

Jon could warg into Ghost due to shock. But this will be a highly temporary solution. He cant stay in Ghost for too long because he will simply lose his mind and more of himself the longer he stays in Ghost. On the show the situation is even more problematic, they haven't done any setup that Jon is a warg. But despite that he could still perhaps warg into Ghost, warging is not unknown to the show and his wolf has been with him since the first episode so there is obviously some connection there. In some ways it would also connect his plot to Dany's plot, which is something they have loved to do this season.

But when it comes to the show there are also other much more practical complications. I could see Jon warging for perhaps one episode tops, but there is no way they are going to have Kit Harington sit out for a long period and do nothing, while they have a wolf running around pretending to be him.

I dont know I could be wrong, but with contracts and negotiations, I dont think they are going to be interested in a lot of warging. If Jon was a secondary character then perhaps it wouldn't matter so much, but doing it with a main character just does not seem like something that would work well in a visual medium.

I love the idea that it was attacking jon that does it.

It does in some way feel connected, although I dont think they would display it as such on the show. But it might still happen in the books. The weather patterns in ADWD is one thing that I found was very strange. We know that the Wall and Winterfell are connected, it sounds like they might be protected by the same magic as they were build at the same time. The Starks and winter are also connected, and during ADWD there is constantly a massive snow storm brewing around Winterfell. The storm is much worse around Winterfell then what it is at the wall, and the snow that hits the wall comes from the South, all of this is quite strange.

There is also the motto that there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. It seems that it might perhaps be likely that a storm is centred around Winterfell because the Boltons are currently in command there. At the Wall Jon was in command, once Jon gets stabbed and taken out of command the magic protecting the wall might fail, and the White Walkers could possibly be able to get through the wall. The White Walkers might not even be that far behind Jon, the wall could fall symbolically or magically to the White Walkers pretty quickly after Jon is attacked.

It is interesting that practically everyone from the North are already gathered at Winterfell. If the Wall fails then Winterfell might be the only place that is safe where the White Walkers cant pass, if there is a Stark present. It would be highly amusing if the White Walkers are able to go through the wall, but they ignore Winterfell and march right pass it straight to the South, because they know they cant enter Winterfell.

But that is all very crackpot, and they would properly never have time in the show for such integrate theories.

Yeah, Jon will be warging into Ghost! I completely forgot about this interview-

(skip to 20.35)

Why else would he have said that? I still wish the show had set up Jon being a potential warg but I guess this is happening.

It's tempting to see this as some kind of confirmation but it isn't necessarily. It can also just be a joke, a raunchy sex joke. More likely, honestly.

Archived