[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion III

Mindwalker

I think it would be poetic if Theon - once they have escaped and he's told Sansa her brothers are still alive - went to the parents of the boys he did kill. He asks their forgivance. One of them (maybe the mother, for shock) says: "You are forgiven," while at the same time knifing him, adding: "Now." End of Theon's arc.

Theon did a lot of bad things, in the show, Ser Rodrick Cassel, Maester Lewin?, the girls at Winterfell were brought to Theon on rotation it seemed like and he used them like whores. The miller's boys. Theon owes so much more than he will ever be able to pay back. I do not feel sorry for him and I never did. What little he can do now is owed but he can never fully pay the price.

I'm already done just because I'm disgusted, this is all academic. I braved a clip of the Sam and Gilly scene and it was horrible. How could they write something like that? For gods sakes, she's a lifelong rape victim, maybe don't go there again? And she has to watch Sam beaten to a pulp, while she's facing this again. They could have used any number of things to set up the love scene, including remembering Aemon together, like the books. What is wrong with them?

I don't know why they didn't think their shared grief over Aemon would be enough :dunno: They don't seem to like subtle, beautiful character moments like that, though.

I would imagine they're including Euron's TWoW material and using Elder Brother/Meribald to reintroduce Sandor. So not necessarily AFfC and ADwD material.

But yeah, it's obvious that they're cutting huge chunks from TWoW: no Lady Stoneheart, no Aegon v Dany, no Sansa in the Vale (probably tied to LS and Aegon).

I'd guess that the overall theme/storyline of season 6 will be the final destruction of Westeros before the Others arrive - Dany's (hopefully Dothraki) invasion, Euron's pillaging, and the explosion of King's Landing.

This is a very good guess! Seems likely!

Do you really think you will be able to avoid all discussion about what happens in the show though? It's going to be everywhere.

I'm of the opinion that whatever the show does won't spoil the books. It might reveal the crux of the true ending, but it'll be so simplistic that it won't convey everything ADOS will in its ending.

Does it matter if the show spoils the books? we've been spoiled about Tyrion and Dany meeting, and it was so anticlimatic that I'm actually expecting the books so I can feel something about it.

For some people, yes, it does matter. I don't want any details, even if they are broad and generic. But that's just my personal preference. I also have absolutely no interest in watching the show anyway beyond this season (I've already stated the three events I want to see adapted). It's so horrible that there's no point, regardless if they're spoiling the books or not.

As for being spoiled anyway...I don't think I will. I'm not on Twitter or Facebook. I don't read blogs or follow journalists who talk about the show. The only thing I can think of would be Reddit, but Reddit seems to have lost a lot of interest in the show. I haven't seen any memes or discussions about the show hit the front page in a very long time. I also have kind friends who won't spoil it for me, if they continue to watch (which is debatable - so many of them just don't care about the show anymore. Shownly and book readers alike).

I also assumed Tyrion and Dany would probably meet anyway, so that wasn't a spoiler to me. The only "true" spoiler I think the show has done is show what the Others do with Craster's babies.

Theon did a lot of bad things, in the show, Ser Rodrick Cassel, Maester Lewin?, the girls at Winterfell were brought to Theon on rotation it seemed like and he used them like whores. The miller's boys. Theon owes so much more than he will ever be able to pay back. I do not feel sorry for him and I never did. What little he can do now is owed but he can never fully pay the price.

Actually, I feel more sympathetic to him than most people. (Particularly considering how much he has suffered, while others, who have done similarly bad things, are fine and also beloved by fans.) But I don't think he will survive for very much longer.

Pod will be running toward them, trying to catch them, with scooby doo music as another poster suggested a while back. Pod will be completely flattned in the attempt but Brienne will save him by giving him cpr.

No no! Pod runs up shouting "Ser! M'am! The candle is lit! The candle is lit!" Then slips on a banana peel.

Those boys were orphans and were at the mill for only few days before Theon came along and butchered everybody.

Yes. I fear that Theon's "redemption" - if there even is such a thing - will not be limited to the Starks.

ETA: Oh, I had forgotten they were orphans...

No no! Pod runs up shouting "Ser! Mam! The candle is lit! The candle is lit!" Then slips on a banana peel.

:lmao:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if the show embraced true ridiculousness and slapstick, I would continue watching just for how hilariously bad it would be (instead of switching between enraging and mind numbingly dull like we get now). Especially if Batfinger jetpacked in and said "For the Watch!" as Olly stabs Jon, like you suggested earlier!! :lol:

Those boys were orphans and were at the mill for only few days before Theon came along and butchered everybody.

Theon has done a lot of shit but in reality, he is going to die soone, he can save Sansa and tell her about her brothers. I personally, would love for him to intervene when Ramsay goes at Sansa with something and kills him or atleast maimes him then jumps to his death.

As for being spoiled anyway...I don't think I will. I'm not on Twitter or Facebook. I don't read blogs or follow journalists who talk about the show. The only thing I can think of would be Reddit, but Reddit seems to have lost a lot of interest in the show. I haven't seen any memes or discussions about the show hit the front page in a very long time. I also have kind friends who won't spoil it for me, if they continue to watch (which is debatable - so many of them just don't care about the show anymore. Shownly and book readers alike).

I also assumed Tyrion and Dany would probably meet anyway, so that wasn't a spoiler to me. The only "true" spoiler I think the show has done is show what the Others do with Craster's babies.

I would think there'll be references to what happens in the show on this forum. It'll undoubtedly come up in discussions.

I would think there'll be references to what happens in the show on this forum. It'll undoubtedly come up in discussions.

I agree, but I just joined the forum to discuss on these Rant and Rave threads (though I've been lurking for years). I might join in on the book part of the forum once the show is over and do a reread myself this summer, but I'm not sure if I'll continue being an active member on here (definitely not the show part). If I get spoiled that way though - from book readers - then oh well, it's better than having it done by D&D :dunno:

Since the D's like the smell of their own farts so much, how much will they spoil, really? I ask because for this season they said the first and last episode will follow the books, and then next season diverge. So I take such things as Sansa will be coming to WF with a grain of sand because it's what they wanted, not what the story wants.

Their saying that they would be true to GRRM's ending, well, I'm not convinced of that either. How can they write that in when with this season they show they can't, and really don't want to, write a coherent story. The vibe I get is they want it over, and it shows more and more.

I don't know why they didn't think their shared grief over Aemon would be enough :dunno: They don't seem to like subtle, beautiful character moments like that, though.

snip

Yeah... they seem to not like quiet moments much anymore. I dunno, they could have had them have sex for some other reason, and then Jon and Sam sitting down over some ale remembering Aemon and sharing some stories he told them (since apparently its been years that they've known him). Then maybe Jon and Sam talk about how their broken vows are something they have in common now. Maybe Jon could have told him that when Tyrion was at the wall, and he was afraid Bran would die, Tyrion was teasing him about the vow of celibacy and mentioned that he read how the Summer Islanders see the situation. It could have been a nice moment.

The only thing I guess is that Grrm told them the end, the read up to ADWD and D&D decided to make alterations after the ASOS to fit in the last 3 seasons. I really think they got into a pickle in 2 ways.

1- when writting season 2, deciding to have Sansa take Jeyne Poole's place and be raped and locked up by Ramsay Snow Bolton.

2- spent 2 out 7 total season on one book - ASOS which make them have to spend season 5 on two books. AFFC and ADWD

Now, everyting is rushed because of it and logic does not add up but they are on a schedule so it must make sense because we say it does.

Since the D's like the smell of their own farts so much, how much will they spoil, really? I ask because for this season they said the first and last episode will follow the books, and then next season diverge. So I take such things as Sansa will be coming to WF with a grain of sand because it's what they wanted, not what the story wants.

Their saying that they would be true to GRRM's ending, well, I'm not convinced of that either. How can they write that in when with this season they show they can't, and really don't want to, write a coherent story. The vibe I get is they want it over, and it shows more and more.

Agreed. They are diverging now in some storylines, and they said they will diverge even more next season. So that's not spoiling, that's diverging.

I hate the way they handled that scene. The attempted rape was bad. But I also feel like all the guilt Sam felt over breaking his vows was an important part of them coming together. As was Gilly's comments that they were married. The fat pink mast line gets a lot of play, but I thought it was an emotional scene that also shed light on wildling culture.

I still fear they'll cut all this guilt and turn Sam into a turncoat who abandons the Wall to run away with Gilly.

The only thing I guess is that Grrm told them the end, the read up to ADWD and D&D decided to make alterations after the ASOS to fit in the last 3 seasons. I really think they got into a pickle in 2 ways.

1- when writting season 2, deciding to have Sansa take Jeyne Poole's place and be raped and locked up by Ramsay Snow Bolton.

2- spent 2 out 7 total season on one book - ASOS which make them have to spend season 5 on two books. AFFC and ADWD

Now, everyting is rushed because of it and logic does not add up but they are on a schedule so it must make sense because we say it does.

I don't think the way they divided up the books was the problem. SOS could not realistically have been adapted into one season and as rich as I think Feast and Dance are I don't think they had the right sort of material to cover 2 seasons of the show. Season 4 could have taken off a lot of the load like the Kingsmoot, Brienne's Quest, Bran (and indeed they did do some of that) and then the best parts of those books could all have been in S5. It would have been amazing.

Instead they did nothing to work around the slow pace of Feast and Dance, took out all of the rich character development that made those books what they were and added in their own illogical replacement plots.

Archived