[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion III

Mindwalker

I hope poor old Sandor gets himself a really good great helm. I would hate to see his face get smashed in with a rock, aka "The Brienne Makeover".

You are reminding me, book purist that some may think I am.........GRRM does tick me off with his over the top injuries and appearances. Everyone is either..............unnaturally beautiful or horrendously ugly, not anywhere inbetween, and the injuries people sustain, yikes. I do think it is all a bit overboard. But, see, that's where I guess I'm not a very good book purist? LOL

I like it! Septon MurderBald can even give his broken men speech while he's in the midst of battle, literally, "breaking some men"!!!

Yeah, so what? He breaks few men. Pshaw! He won't be able to break Brienne Smash! Empowered WomanTM HA! She'll break him. Again.

You are reminding me, book purist that some may think I am.........GRRM does tick me off with his over the top injuries and appearances. Everyone is either..............unnaturally beautiful or horrendously ugly, not anywhere inbetween, and the injuries people sustain, yikes. I do think it is all a bit overboard. But, see, that's where I guess I'm not a very good book purist? LOL

Blasphemer!

Actually, I kind of agree with you and, don't forget, all the guys are 7+ feet tall!

You know, I'm still wondering how they're going to incorporate Brienne into Sansa's storyline? At this point, I think it will have to go something like: Sansa jumps from the walls of Winterfell into the waiting arms of Brienne (while Theon lands on Pod) and they all run to Stannis. Then Brienne will have to figure out if she really wants to kill Stannis after all?

That's not QUITE fair, though there is a lot of it. Mance Rayder, Davos, and The Tickler are all ordinary looking. I would say the same was true of Eddard and Stannis. Also I think some of it has to with the POV structure. The really ugly and beautiful characters are the ones that stick out. Ordinary looking characters receive less comment.

As much as Brienne the Brute annoys me, I like book Brienne. And I wonder what they will do to her face in the next few episodes, maybe just a scar. But she never did get her turn. GRRM never saw a face he didn't want to mess up.

You know, I'm still wondering how they're going to incorporate Brienne into Sansa's storyline? At this point, I think it will have to go something like: Sansa jumps from the walls of Winterfell into the waiting arms of Brienne (while Theon lands on Pod) and they all run to Stannis. Then Brienne will have to figure out if she really wants to kill Stannis after all?

I want her to take Sansa south with her, but it's not wise to want things when it comes to this show.

Brienne has to meet up with Jaime again, and they can't all converge at Winterfell.

And what's the point of her journey (then again, they don't have journeys on the show, much less points) if she chooses the vow to kill over the vow to protect?

My first thread in this forum! The old R'n'R thread was closed for length.

To quote Ran:

The topic of the thread is discussing things you disliked about the episode. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if he normal rules of the forum do not apply. Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand -- this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked.

I also tried to start 'Rave and Rant III' as my first thread, after a PM plea to Ran to allow us a third thread (he had not given an explanation for closing the second by that time). Glad we all tried, the last thread was moving along great, no insults or trolling whatsoever - let's keep it that way :)

My problem with the casting of the Elder Meribrother is that I have no idea why is he cast in first place.

First, there is no way Brienne will leave Sansa alone. Not even if Sansa dies. Why is she going to do? "Oh, she's dead. Back to the Riverlands to try to save Arya Stark"?. So, Brienne won't meet him.

They could give her plot to someone else. Maybe the Hound. So, the Hound might go around looking for Sansa and meeting the people Brienne met. We don't know what the Hound is doing in books, but, I wouldn't find impossible to assume or guess that he might have realised Brienne is looking for Sansa (everybody and their mothers have...), so he might be following her or he might have realised she's alive and away from KL and he headed the Vale to find her. Crackpot: maybe he brings her back to Stoneheart, who the fucks knows or care now.

But, in the show, the Hound can't go to Sansa. First, if he's in any chance to travel, he probably already headed back there. As he might be still hurt and unaware of what happened to her, he might, in season 6, headed to the North to find her... but Sansa has already a lot of people trying to save her: Stannis, Brienne and who knows who else might appear. Also, Sansa might not even survive the battle, or be in a different position or place. That and the fact that they haven't really painted accurately their relationship. Considering the Hound symbolises Sansa's sexual awakening, now she's been beaten and raped it will have a completely different meaning... I mean, the Hound said "I should have raped her!"... get how bad it sounds now?

So, while Meribald and the EB are there to kinda show us how bad the war has affected the riverlands, they are plot devices. The EB is a plot device for us to see the Hound. SM took Brienne there, I assume, with the purpose of making them meet each other, and the one thing that links them is Sansa. So, why is Elder Meribrother appearing? To tell us "oh, look how bad the Riverlands have been damaged!". Yeah, we kinda already figured it out... they fucking disappeared.

Question: Will Jon Snow ever find out that Robb made him a Stark?

Answer: “Well, we don’t know that that actually happened, but you know, I hope to tie up most of the loose ends.”

It's almost like talented writers remember and try to resolve/reconcile things that they mention

Blasphemer!

Actually, I kind of agree with you and, don't forget, all the guys are 7+ feet tall!

Blasphemer, that's me. Hopefully, it's Septon Meribald or The Elder Brother that comes for me......book versions, not the ShowSparrow?

That's not QUITE fair, though there is a lot of it. Mance Rayder, Davos, and The Tickler are all ordinary looking. I would say the same was true of Eddard and Stannis. Also I think some of it has to with the POV structure. The really ugly and beautiful characters are the ones that stick out. Ordinary looking characters receive less comment.

I do know there are some of the ordinary in the books, but the ones called ordinary are usually pointed out....as extraordinary in existence, ya know? For me, too, I guess I'm more talking about POV characters, and in the continuing books, it seems so long since I've seen Ned, for instance. It's just something I've noticed in the reading and rereading and it is something that bothers me a bit. Most people are neither extraordinarily beautiful nor overly hideous.......and are somewhere in between. Maybe it also has something to do with my age and own tastes, but I've found that most people have something attractive about them, or in the knowing of them....you find their attractiveness. I do get that this appearance thing seems to go with the genre, but it is one of the things that irks me more and more. I think it bugs me because the characters, regardless of genre, feel so real, but the over the top appearance thing doesn't.

The toning down of the appearance thing in the show is one of the things I've appreciated. Now, with someone like the character Tyrion, I think it makes a big difference, as I am certain that Book Tyrion would almost kill to look as good as Peter Dinklage, not to mention, feel half as sure of himself as St. Tyrion seems to be.

I have to make sure that I don’t unconsciously lapse into writing the character as seen on the show as portrayed by Aidan Gillen….who is a great character in his own right, but is not the guy who is in the books, and obviously has a very different way of thinking about things.”

So you're telling me book Littlefinger has laddahs in his shed besides chaos? I could have never known.

I want her to take Sansa south with her, but it's not wise to want things when it comes to this show.

Brienne has to meet up with Jaime again, and they can't all converge at Winterfell.

And what's the point of her journey (then again, they don't have journeys on the show, much less points) if she chooses the vow to kill over the vow to protect?

I think her and theon jump, Theon will hold her so that he is on the bottom, cushoning her fall and he dies, redeemed and she lives.

<snip>

They totally fucked up the story, no doubt about it. But what they had Sandor do was repeat what Rorge said to Arya that led her to kill HIM. He was goading Arya to kill him. And the director of the scene said he was really saying "I love you" and not meaning what he was saying.

And he got all dreamy looking off when he said Sansa was pretty, and said she was his only happy memory. They definitely set it up on his side that he cares for her. It's not just sex. He was miserable when Arya asked why didn't you take something from Joffrey, he was worried about her.

As for Sansa, they couldn't have messed her story up any more than they did. Look at her, she's a bruised, battered, raped by a psycho sex slave. And all of that was optional, none of it happened in the books. Makes you wonder about that cheerleader in high school.

Oh God, what if Brienne does take her south, the run into LS who wants to hang Brienne for serving Jaimie and Sansa for marrying Ramsay. And then Bronn and Jaimie come and save them, with the help of the sandsnakes :ack:

Why on earth not? If you want it, it must make creative sense! It is known.

Oh God, what if Brienne does take her south, the run into LS who wants to hang Brienne for serving Jaimie and Sansa for marrying Ramsay. And then Bronn and Jaimie come and save them, with the help of the sandsnakes :ack:

Nooooooooooo! :lol: If the Sand Snakes cross an invisible line somewhere north of KL, they turn into furious topless gnats or something.

Archived