Why doesn't Tommen take his mother and and wife out prison?

King of thrones

A teenage king invades the High Sept (Westeros's Vatican) and kills the High Septon (Westero's pope) and all the priests in here to save is wife and mother from their trials for regicide and fornication. Yeah, that would make total sense :rolleyes:

He's not Cersei or Joffrey.

I Thought the same thing when watching that scene. if it were me, I would have been all about calling my men to arms to get my wife back. but I do understand they are trying to portray Tommen as for lack of a better word "weak". he is not like his brother or his mother, therefore wont do shit about anything, he reminds me of one of the early targaryen kings that always needed advice and always ask what other people thought instead of just asking like a king and being A KING. smh kids those days smh

but I do understand they are trying to portray Tommen as for lack of a better word "weak".

The problem is not that he's weak (even if he is, with zero experience), the problem is that it's the High Septon we're talking about. The scene where Tommen goes to the High Sept was clear for me : the only way to enter is to use violence against people, and the people in the streets clearly support the High Septon and not the king (they called Tommen "bastard" if I remember correctly). The sparrows are not just a group of 10 guys with swords, they have the support of the people. If someone attacks the High Sept, there would be riots in the city and a bloodbath...

As I said before, only Cersei and Joff wouldn't care about this.

Ah, I don't remember them saying bastard. but if that's the case then that's more understandable.

Yes, they did.

The problem is not that he's weak (even if he is, with zero experience), the problem is that it's the High Septon we're talking about. The scene where Tommen goes to the High Sept was clear for me : the only way to enter is to use violence against people, and the people in the streets clearly support the High Septon and not the king (they called Tommen "bastard" if I remember correctly). The sparrows are not just a group of 10 guys with swords, they have the support of the people. If someone attacks the High Sept, there would be riots in the city and a bloodbath...

As I said before, only Cersei and Joff wouldn't care about this.

I wouldn't be so sure about Cersei, though.

He's a boy who was never trained nor intended to be sitting on the Throne. He doesn't understand his power, at all. What role models has he had for Kings? A father who sat around and drank and whored and generally just farted around while everyone else ran the kingdom, and a brother who was a vile killer who he was terrified of.

What I do think he does know is how tenuous his position might be. Kids aren't stupid, they pay attention. He full well knows that he is a bastard, even if he can't articulate it. Just like Joffrey did. He has relied on his mother for whom he has a complete blind spot (like most boys that age) and simply has no idea how to rule without her, and she certainly was not supporting rescuing Margary.

As Tommen is portrayed a bit different than in the books, and in this last episode he finally started to grow some you know whats, I'm betting that the show handles it a bit differently. Margary being taken was one thing - yes, he is in full lust, but it's like a new toy was taken, whereas his mother being taken - his protector, the only constant he has ever known - I have a feeling Kevan or equivalent will be strenuously talking him out of sending in the guards and it will play out a bit differently than in the books, albeit with the same ending.

^^^this. But yeah he's a punk I'd kill them all Joffrey style and tell the people whatever I wanted about it but hey that's just me.

LOL. What would be interesting is if in fact

Tommen is the one who arranges the events, instead of Kevan. "Just do this mother, and you can come home." As a boy I could seem him being convinced of that, not understanding the broader implications but simply seeing the path of least resistance.

Several of the English kings were very young when they come to power. Although theoretically in charge others often manipulated them with terrible results. It's not bad writing if there is historical precedent imo.

He has an army? What army? The majority of the Lannister forces were taken by Kevan back to Casterly Rock. He has the gold cloaks but that's just 2000 which is not a lot to hold a city of 500,000. The number of faith militants probably are several hundred plus the number of supporters of the faith from the population would significantly outnumber the gold cloaks.

A teenage king who's just ascended the Throne (when he never expected to) is going to be worried and afraid. He won't know if his soldiers will still by him, if he orders them to fight the Faith.

Edward III would have been thought a very weak king to begin with, when he was under the thumb of his mother and Mortimer. It took him two and a half years to overthrow their government, and take power.

Well, we don't know what age he actually is. He's old enough to have a wife, but not old enough to actually rule? He could be 14, or he could be 17 we really have no clue anymore. Does he age the same as the actor playing him, or has it only been a few months that he's been on the throne?

It's hard to tell if his weakness is because he's a weak king, or still a child. So you chose. It's one of those two reasons.

Archived