What are you drinking in this weather?

Fragile Bird

Grapefruit Sculpin... It's ok.

Gonna kick this keg of Victory at Sea... Might need to come back tomorrow but I can do this.

Ooh, nice, I really like that one.

Checked out my new local packy today, they've got cheap cases of Sierra Nevada, and I grabbed a bottle of Collaboration, Not Litigation, to try tomorrow.

Ok, my American bros, can you please tell me what the word 'session' means to you wrt beer? I've got a blog post in the works on 'session DIPAs' - a term which seems to send some people into a fury. LOLOL.

NB: I didn't think this was worth starting its own thread for so I hope nobody objects to me asking this here.

Ok, my American bros, can you please tell me what the word 'session' means to you wrt beer? I've got a blog post in the works on 'session DIPAs' - a term which seems to send some people into a fury. LOLOL.

NB: I didn't think this was worth starting its own thread for so I hope nobody objects to me asking this here.

It's generally means a lower AbV (usually around 4% I think? definitely under 5)-- something a worker could drink with a meal on their lunch hour and not get so blotto they couldn't work a lathe or whatever.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better or more accurately

A session beer typically refers to something under 5% AbV, so you can drink 3 or 4 of them in a "session" and not worry about falling over when you stand up. "Session DIPA" sounds like something of an oxymoron to me, since DIPA's are usually in the 8-10% range.

It's generally means a lower AbV (usually around 4% I think? definitely under 5)-- something a worker could drink with a meal on their lunch hour and not get so blotto they couldn't work a lathe or whatever.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better or more accurately

Is it only used in this way though in your experience?

Work a lathe LOL. Kinda like the saisonniers and their scythes :)

Ok, just checking. I'm sure that someone from the US, maybe even from this board, maybe even called Mr X, talked to me about the term session being used to mean some other thing (not a low ABV beer) wrt to beer... Maybe it was all a dream.

Thanks, I'll have a read of that.

In the UK low ABV beers (mainly pales, golden ales, possibly IPAs) have traditionally been described as sessionable in tasting notes, especially at beer festivals...for decades.

The term 'session IPA' is usually used in a piss takey sort of way over here. Much the same way we use the word 'craft' when referring to beer. Cos, you know, a session IPA is just a pale ale. No need to give it a new name.

And this is why I persist in pushing the term session DIPA, because people don't get it and become fixated on the idea that OMG HIGH ABV OMG NOT SESSIONABLE. But sessionable refers to the drinkability not the ABV. It's ironic, you guys. Cos people used to expect a DIPA to be like WEEEEEYYYYYY check me out, I'm a big hitter, feel my alcohol and RESPECT ME. But a session DIPA is the opposite of that. Anyway that's for the blog post...cheers. :)

Ok, just checking. I'm sure that someone from the US, maybe even from this board, maybe even called Mr X, talked to me about the term session being used to mean some other thing (not a low ABV beer) wrt to beer... Maybe it was all a dream.

Maybe I did say that. I did refer to the whole "session IPA" thing on Twitter as 'seizing a marketing opportunity' (a Tweet which at least one person assumed was written by Xray). I may have been referring to how, in terms of personal drinking habits, Xray and I have a different gauge for sessionable beers. I mean, I downed my first two pints of Pliny the Elder (a roughly 8% beer) faster than some other folks at the bar worked through two pints of Bud Light. Drinkability is the big thing for me. I always liked Garrett Oliver's definition of drinkability in the context of beer reviews -- the ability to drink three or four glasses in one sitting. I think that's related to a whole lot more than merely ABV.

As for the US beer scene in general, and particularly in terms of marketing (which means any description written by pro brewers looking to sell their beer, not just TV and print advertisements), "session" means something in the 3% to 5% range. This most frequently gets dropped on styles associated with being stronger, and most frequently gets attached to IPA for no other reason than those three simple letters sell big time. Not sure where the 5% cutoff comes from, but my guess is that is has something to do with Budweiser being 5% ABV.

Is it only used in this way though in your experience?

Work a lathe LOL. Kinda like the saisonniers and their scythes :)

Kinda yeah, with an asterisk. In my limited experience, whenever I've seen session [whatever] used "officially" (on an actual label/can, marketing material, then yes, it's for the most part a pretty definitional term.

But when used as more of a qualifier(? ie "sessionable"), in say, reviews, it can be used more loosely, closer to What Mr X is talking about, like overall drinkability...

Don't know if that helps or even makes sense really

Maybe I did say that. I did refer to the whole "session IPA" thing on Twitter as 'seizing a marketing opportunity' (a Tweet which at least one person assumed was written by Xray). I may have been referring to how, in terms of personal drinking habits, Xray and I have a different gauge for sessionable beers. I mean, I downed my first two pints of Pliny the Elder (a roughly 8% beer) faster than some other folks at the bar worked through two pints of Bud Light. Drinkability is the big thing for me. I always liked Garrett Oliver's definition of drinkability in the context of beer reviews -- the ability to drink three or four glasses in one sitting. I think that's related to a whole lot more than merely ABV.

As our friend Dom, the overlord of brewing at Thornbridge, says: drinkability is the most important factor in a beer. :)

However, I would have put Pliny in the 'not a session DIPA' category* - because of its sticky, resinous quality. Not to say I don't love that in a (fresh) DIPA but it's not what I think of when I say 'session DIPA'. See also, Magic Rock's Unhuman Cannonball. I love that beer but it is NOT a session DIPA to me. Actually, even Cannonball is not sessionable - it's maybe my favourite UK brewed IPA and I love it fiercely but it is a dangerous beast indeed. Tell you what is sessionable - Thornbridge Halycon! We did a head to head of Pliny vs Cannonball vs Halcyon vs our own DIPA (essentially a Pliny clone) and lovely as they all were Halycon had an insane drinkability which the others lacked.

Maybe I'll go see what Garrett Oliver has to say about it - was that in an interview or what, Mr X?

*might change my mind when I get to drink it at source in the Autumn after the personal brewhouse tour we have been offered by Vinnie :)

Archived