"For the Watch"? (Spoilers)

nborders

I agree that a mutiny wouldn't make much sense. Even with a pink letter, Jon established as a warg (if they include Varamyr) and the tension at the gate when Thorne doesn't want to let the Wildlings through (that whole scene makes no sense, they have ships, why wouldn't they approach CB from the south side of the wall?).

When Jon & co return to Castle Black there'll be a lot of rumors of how Jon killed a WW, about the Night King, etc. etc. anyone who even had the slightest idea of starting a mutiny, even Olly, should back down once they hear what Jon did.

Even if Jon uses the Wildling army to assault Ramsay, then that should make sense given that so many people have now seen what the real threat looks like. No sacrifice should be too great and it's obvious that the Night's Watch cannot hold to all its rules and vows as it used to, since the threat is now so much bigger and closer.

I really fear that D&D will just give us a version of the pink letter and then go along with the FTW mutiny as if that would be a logical reponse. They'll probably leave Jon's death as a huge cliffhanger and think that this is what will break the internet.

Here's hoping that they don't go this route and that FTW is only a traumatized response from Olly, and that we'll get some sort of aftermath and see what happens to Jon.

Having him [Olly] act selfishly and go on a personaly vendetta against Jon is just going to be weird, but at least it won't tarnish the rest of the Watch.

I agree but there is one other issue I take with this. If Olly does it alone, i find it to be a terrible hole in the writing to have a green child taking Jon down. Unless of course he shoots him with an arrow; otherwise, Jon could easily take him out. Unless he jumps out of the dark wielding a short sword like Jaime Lannister..... After Hardhome, I am convinced that D. Edd will not take part in FTW. He was angered at first, but his role at Hardhome suggests that he has not abandoned Jon.

Perhaps Olly confides in Throne, but that would just be very strange. The only thing I could possibly think of is Olly somehow pouting near the two men who attempted to rape Gilly and they come together to attack Jon. My guess is a lot has to happen in the next episode to make this happen without a big "where did this come from." At the rate it is going now, it would be like Jon returning and LF dining in Jon's quarters. "How the hell did he get there" type thing. I am under the impression that the next episode will focus more on Sansa, Dany, and Cersei? We obviously see tension there, but unless a PL exists, I don't see FTW making any sense at all at the moment......

Is there any indication that the final episodes will run longer than the first 8?

I agree but there is one other issue I take with this. If Olly does it alone, i find it to be a terrible hole in the writing to have a green child taking Jon down. Unless of course he shoots him with an arrow; otherwise, Jon could easily take him out. Unless he jumps out of the dark wielding a short sword like Jaime Lannister..... After Hardhome, I am convinced that D. Edd will not take part in FTW. He was angered at first, but his role at Hardhome suggests that he has not abandoned Jon.

Perhaps Olly confides in Throne, but that would just be very strange. The only thing I could possibly think of is Olly somehow pouting near the two men who attempted to rape Gilly and they come together to attack Jon. My guess is a lot has to happen in the next episode to make this happen without a big "where did this come from." At the rate it is going now, it would be like Jon returning and LF dining in Jon's quarters. "How the hell did he get there" type thing. I am under the impression that the next episode will focus more on Sansa, Dany, and Cersei? We obviously see tension there, but unless a PL exists, I don't see FTW making any sense at all at the moment......

Is there any indication that the final episodes will run longer than the first 8?

Yeah but maybe that's exactly what D&D are going for. Olly + Bowen Marsh + those two rapers would come completely out of the blue -> therefore the shock value will be greater. At least, I can see them thinking that way. And if Olly backstabs Jon who's not expecting an attack that would be even more of a shock, since Jon is so much more powerful than Olly (but can still be taken by surprise of course).

Which is why it would break the internet.

Yes, but is it that shocking? I think most people would respond to that as....oh look more BS writing....and move on.

I am not discounting your opinion, but I would think it would be something larger, more in your face type of event. Such as Ramsay reminding her that he is lord of Winterfell, and then she jabs the corkscrew into his throat whispering something like "No Bran is, and he is still alive".

FTW makes sense in the books as there is a hell of a lot more plot that has set up for it before hand.

In show land there's little to go on appart from Olly being upset about his parents. I mean even Thorne is promoted to 1st Ranger to appease him somewhat. And the events and Hardhome will reforge any loss of faith in Jon people might have had after he anounced his ideas earlier this season. I mean come on, he led the defense of the wall, saved hundreds from the WW's and killed a WW in single combat in front of like 100's of witnesses. Any still they run with the watch being pissed off with him? That would be very lame and would not fit the sense the show has had in the last episode.

Also, even if the whole FTW is shocking we know they don't follow through on shocks from the books. Lady Stoneheart was a perfect opportunity for a massive shock for unsullied last season and they left it out for no reason, so nothing in the books can be considered safe in my view.

Yeaaah, but the shock factor is typically associated with the demise of fan favorites. LS would be shocking, but it would be in a "hell yeah!" kind of way. Whereas there is much more passion in a "what the fuck!?" reaction like Robb being stabbed through the heart or Jon being betrayed.

I would gain so much more respect for the writers as story tellers if they choose to omit or at least push back FTW due to it not being a natural flow within the storyline. If you're gonna diverge from the books and make this thing your own, then do it. Don't cherry pick certain events just due to their wow factor if they don't make sense to the story. Then again, I suppose they do have time to pull something out of their butts in the next ep to have it make more sense.

As for whether he 'dies' or not, the HuffPost reported that .... Last year, The Hollywood Reporter learned that Harington was one of a handful of "GoT" actors who signed on through Season 6 and "completed an extensive renegotiation" for a potential Season 7. While nothing is official, it seems likely Jon isn't going to be gone for good.

Sourcehttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/jon-snow-fate-game-of-thrones_n_7496458.html

ep9 53 mins

ep10 61 mins

Thanks.

As for whether he 'dies' or not, the HuffPost reported that .... Last year, The Hollywood Reporter learned that Harington was one of a handful of "GoT" actors who signed on through Season 6 and "completed an extensive renegotiation" for a potential Season 7. While nothing is official, it seems likely Jon isn't going to be gone for good.

Sourcehttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/jon-snow-fate-game-of-thrones_n_7496458.html

Yes I do recall that.

I will be super annoyed if the majority of the watch, including those who went to Hardhome, betray Jon and become apart of the mutiny.

It would be incredibly bad writing to have a bunch of Nights Watch witness those events and still believe it was a bad idea to attempt a rescue.

Edit: ooooo, 100th post!!

i think by the time they start filming season 6, the TWOW will already have been released.

Not a chance. Season 6 of the show starts filming in a few weeks.

It's possible TWOW will come out before season 6 starts airing about 10 months from now, but there's no way the book will be out in time to prevent casting spoilers.

Jon will be stabbed in the last scene of the season. He has to "die." The plot point is huge and there's soooo much literary evidence/necessity that he has to die and be reborn in some way. I am torn as to whether I think the show will hint that he is warging into Ghost before they go to black. I think they probably will, after establishing the warg stuff for Jon in episode 9.

Varamyr keeps coming back to me: "Mance should have let me take the direwolf. There would be a second life worthy of a king."

I have serious doubts that Jon will be stabbed at all.

I mean, how can he get stabbed, when Thorne is not going to let neither him nor his wildlings to pass the gates.

Maybe the role of Olly is not to stab Jon, but Thorne, and thereby cause a mutiny among the NW, that will have as its consequence, the passing through the gate of Jon and his wildlings .

there have already been pictures from this up coming episode and Jon has indeed been let through the wall

I'm not convinced they are going to go there with Jon getting stabbed. Except for an episode or two with Dondarion they've more or less dropped all of the other resurection stuff - Brienne, Stoneheart, The Hound.

And they've been beating us over the head with the Olly foreshadowing to the point where it would be more of a surprise if he didn't do it. Why bother with stabbing Jon when no one is going to buy he is going to be permanently dead?

Seems a much more interesting story with Olly overcoming his grief and Jon looking at him as he holds the knife, "If that's what you think you have to do..." is there instead of trying to cliff hang us with something few will find very cliff hangy.

There's absolutely nothing that says Jon will need to be resurrected because we don't know if he will even die.

You beat me to it...

Sorry everyone for the above post...

Archived