God's not Dead

Seaworth'sShipmate

Is someone proselytizing in their thread creations? With an entire thread dedicated to this nonsense, and one sparked up to hail the greatness of The Left Behind series over in Literature, I have a sneaky suspicion that someone is trying to save us all from those eternal raging Hell fires. You should probably just go over to General Chat now and open a thread titled...

REPENT YE ALL YOU SINNERS !!!!

Also if you're a good hearted Christian boy who's not okay with this type of Nietzschean thinking then what are you doing strudying existentialist philosophy in the first place? And if you're a good hearted Christian boy who's into a little existentialism wouldn't you know that Nietzsche wasn't referring literally to God, but was rather referring to the fact that the attitudes and actions of the Christian world no longer aligned with classic Christian morality?

I don't even know that it was an existentialist class. It seems, from what little I can gather, pretty featureless, which is better.

Myshkin,

I'm a Catholic, and it's been my experience that atheists can be every bit as zealous and intolerant when it comes to religion as anyone else, but this movie just sounds like the laziest type of strawman bullshit imaginable.

Agreed. What possible philosophical exercise starts with a professor demanding people renounce their faith before students can participate? You are absolutely correct, this movie sounds like a huge strawman.

The fact that this film eventually came to an end was almost enough to restore my faith in a deity.

In short this film illistrates everything that is wrong with modern christanity at least in the US

First I think it would be most effective to talk about the characters as the two main guys we have an arrogant superficial college professor who happens to be an atheist although I would suspect given what we learn about this character over the course of the film he would be an arrogant superficial jerk regardless of whatever belief system he happened to profess at the time. What annoys me the most about this character is yet again it is an excellent reflection of a Christian’s perception about what the absence of belief is however well thought out the professor and his point of view might be it turns out that he is just angry at God due to some past trauma in his life. This is a ridiculous clique that Christian Cinema is always falling into not only is this a simplistic message it also lazy writing.

I would just talk about the Christian as he is portrayed in this film but as my Grandfather would have said my comments would be brief and unprintable let me just say that most of the logical fallacies he uses to “prove” the existence of God seem to be a mix little Ray Comfort mixed with whoever won the Tempelton Prize last year and a dash of the good old “you can’t have a watch without a watchmaker. If I had to pin down one specific thing that annoyed my about the character is not so much his religious beliefs which of course I disagree with but the fact that his mere presence in any given scene is an automatic solution. In much the same way the Atheist professor is based on a Christians idea of what an atheist actually is this Christian is a Christians idea of what a Christian should be not so much in characterization but how in an ideal situation anyone would respond to the arguments for Jesus resisting at first but ultimately Jesus changes their hearts for the better this can be seen in the minor characters

The Asian friend being a duplicitous oriental after all what other kind are there is encouraged by his father to match the opinions of the atheist professor as a matter of cultural survival after a brief conversation with the hero of the film and a night of soul searching he decides that the life of a follower of Jesus is the life for him with no real expiation of how he arrived at that conclusion other then the lazy answer of the solution to every problem is more Jesus and answer to every question is more Jesus

This same Deus Ex Machina applies to the Muslim girl who converts after listening to the book of Corinthians on her IPOD her brother easily discovers this his sister begs him to keep it a secret and her father finds out almost immediately and she is disowned of course all Muslims are dishonorable and will kick their children out for the slightest indiscretion.

Overall-I might exaggerate here only a very little bit Christians consider this if the film had the opposite message about a young professing Christian from a small Midwestern town who goes to college and gradually realizes that the four noble truths are a much better reflection of his own moral compass not only would you have picketed the film you would have probably burned the theater to the ground

CD,

Of course not all Christians think all Atheists are arrogant jerks who are angry at God and that all Muslims will disown apostates. Some of us are fairly cool with letting everyone hold to their own beliefs.

As I said above this movie sounds like a huge strawman argument repeated ad nauseum.

;)

Archived