Fate of Jon Snow might differ from Books

D2procon

A bit disappointing to already know that he most likely survives, but hardly surprising. Jon Snow and Daenerys are maybe the only two characters who have real thick plot armor. What I'm more interested in is what his death and resurrection will result in, because all this must have a reason.

Having a contract extended means nothing on tv, Patrick Dempsey had signed a 2 season contract extention during the tenth season of Grey's Anatomy and his character was killed the following season because the showrunner was having issues with him. These extended contracts dont mean that everyone who signed them will survive until season 7, just that the actors should be available. Probably the contracts are mostly about salaries, number of episodes, having their names on the titles, etc

Having a contract extended means nothing on tv, Patrick Dempsey had signed a 2 season contract extention during the tenth season of Grey's Anatomy and his character was killed the following season because the showrunner was having issues with him. These extended contracts dont mean that everyone who signed them will survive until season 7, just that the actors should be available. Probably the contracts are mostly about salaries, number of episodes, having their names on the titles, etc

yeah BUT the hair to me seem to suggest he comes back for season six.

I think they are just going to end with him getting stabbed and dying this season. Yes he is signed for next season, yes we all know he will come back, but the causal unsullied will be interested a\through the offseason to hear rumors of John not really being dead and the rumors of him somehow being a Targ.

Plenty of Yahoo articles discussing it and how he will come back. Big ratings to begin next season...

I think it will be slightly different.

In the books, it's very likely that he's just severely wounded by FTW and will warg into Ghost.

In the show, I think D&D will have him clearly die for the greater shock value and then revive him. Why else would they make such a point of having Melisandre meet Thoros and Beric?

I think it will be different, but not revival different.

What the fuck is the problem with Martin?

Btw Olly will be the Bowen Marsh of the situation.

huh?

I agree, I don't see how Shireen's burning could possibly contribute to his revival now. Either Mel simply gives him the Kiss of Fire, or Bran and BR do something for him in S6.

I see Ice magic playing a role, not fire, and I am doubtful that he needs to be revived. But I think we end as season 1 did with a supernatural element that is unique.

I don't what Mel reviving Jon. After what she did to Shireen do we really want her to be the saviour of Jon.

I don't want Jon to die. Jon should be hurt please please please.

Yes I don't want Mel having anything to do with Jon.

Is it bad that I actually want the Night's King to revive him?

I don't think he will be revived this season. I try not to rely on the soundtrack for speculation, especially after all the Lady Stoneheart hype last year. However, I would put money on 'Throne for the Game' being the end credits of the finale, just after FTW. It is depressing and mournful so I'm assuming it leaves the viewer with the idea that Jon is dead.

Hahah No. That could be interesting.

Old news.

They can kill off any character they want. Jon will live, because his story is far from over. Not because of this contract.

Yep. But I think they will at least maintain continuity between the two points.

I think that Melisandre's absence from the wall is a big clue that Jon won't ultimately resurrected through fire magic. That leaves warging or some kind of ice magic, Jon being severely injured but not dying (kind of pointless), or Jon being dead dead (which seems least likely apart from FTW not happening at all).

Jon being resurrected as a thinking wight or white walker, possibly coupled with a change of allegiances based on his betrayal, would be the most radical and subversive of traditional fantasy archetypes. It would give us a window into the Others' motivations, if they are other than pure evil. And it would raise the stakes immensely as well, since it would cast considerable uncertainty on the final outcome of the battles to come.

I personally don't see the point of killing and reviving Jon as a cost-less transaction. If Jon returns, he will be changed to his core. Even though he was pursuing goals most people approve of, he failed to root out the plot and conspiracy to kill him. Part the practical challenge of wielding power is figuring out how to wield it for long enough to follow through on one's plans. Jon's reaction to his failure can't simply be "well, that was a close call; I'll be a little more careful next time."

I'm going to hate this episode if it leaves with FTW and us waiting a year to find out his fate. So lame as a plot device. Yes, George did it (numerous times, with many characters), but it just doesn't work with television, and dammit, I want something NEW to mull over. Spoil me!!!

I could see them not having FTW actually succeed in even injuring him and Jon fights them off with the help of the wildlings.

I have said it once, twice, probably more times then one should, but if Wun Wun is around they are going to repeat his lines from Hardhome (sort of).

Olly will pull out a dagger alongside the two rapists. Wun Wun will follow with "The fuck you doing" and then stomp....

I figure if I repeat it enough it would actual come true....It would be rather humorous to see though.

But yes in all seriousness, I can see Jon being wounded and if Martin leans on some supernatural element as he did with Dany, they put that into play along with Tormund etc coming to his rescue. I can certainly see the wildlings stepping in because:

1. They probably see Jon as the means to their survival. Think back to the wildling woman at Hardhome, she says something along the lines of "I don't think they will follow those orders if you die". Out of self preservation, I think many will intervene to help him. While many left CB, I can imagine that some stayed behind. Tormund did.

2. It probably already hit them that if it were not for Jon, the Others would have killed them all. Now your savior is in need of aid. Of course they will draw steel.

If it plays out like this, I can see Jon being injured. At this point we may get something for WoW, or the credits will roll....

I'm going to hate this episode if it leaves with FTW and us waiting a year to find out his fate. So lame as a plot device. Yes, George did it (numerous times, with many characters), but it just doesn't work with television, and dammit, I want something NEW to mull over. Spoil me!!!

Hahah well it doesn't work for several reasons, but I agree.

I have said it once, twice, probably more times then one should, but if Wun Wun is around they are going to repeat his lines from Hardhome (sort of).

Olly will pull out a dagger alongside the two rapists. Wun Wun will follow with "The fuck you doing" and then stomp....

I figure if I repeat it enough it would actual come true....It would be rather humorous to see though.

But yes in all seriousness, I can see Jon being wounded and if Martin leans on some supernatural element as he did with Dany, they put that into play along with Tormund etc coming to his rescue. I can certainly see the wildlings stepping in because:

1. They probably see Jon as the means to their survival. Think back to the wildling woman at Hardhome, she says something along the lines of "I don't think they will follow those orders if you die". Out of self preservation, I think many will intervene to help him. While many left CB, I can imagine that some stayed behind. Tormund did.

2. It probably already hit them that if it were not for Jon, the Others would have killed them all. Now your savior is in need of aid. Of course they will draw steel.

If it plays out like this, I can see Jon being injured. At this point we may get something for WoW, or the credits will roll....

Yep. Also in the books, because it's entirely from the pov of Jon and it ends when he blacks out, we don't know what the rest of the people doing during this. We're going to see that. They're not all just going to be standing around doing nothing. And the attackers must of planned for what to do with the Wildlings after Jon's dead.

I think that Melisandre's absence from the wall is a big clue that Jon won't ultimately resurrected through fire magic. That leaves warging or some kind of ice magic, Jon being severely injured but not dying (kind of pointless), or Jon being dead dead (which seems least likely apart from FTW not happening at all).

Jon being resurrected as a thinking wight or white walker, possibly coupled with a change of allegiances based on his betrayal, would be the most radical and subversive of traditional fantasy archetypes. It would give us a window into the Others' motivations, if they are other than pure evil. And it would raise the stakes immensely as well, since it would cast considerable uncertainty on the final outcome of the battles to come.

I personally don't see the point of killing and reviving Jon as a cost-less transaction. If Jon returns, he will be changed to his core. Even though he was pursuing goals most people approve of, he failed to root out the plot and conspiracy to kill him. Part the practical challenge of wielding power is figuring out how to wield it for long enough to follow through on one's plans. Jon's reaction to his failure can't simply be "well, that was a close call; I'll be a little more careful next time."

You are right Jon has to face some serious consequences where we fear for him. If you look at the big three they all have to face terrible adversity.

Tyrion was convicted of murder, he was doomed almost saved by Oberyn but no luck he was going to get executed. But he barely escapes but with the cost of killing his father. No matter how much he hated his father I doubt Tyrion thought him capable of that, he was pushed to the brink of death and gave up on life. He is with Dany now and finding his feet again.

Dany was finding her home in Drogo and she was with child, and all that was taken from her. Drogo in a coma she is forced to mercy kill him and she births a demon child because of black magic. It was that loss that pushed her to birth her dragons, get her armies, become queen and find herself.

Jon so far has been relatively safe. It is time for him to face death real adversity and that is how he will reach that next step if he has to fulfill whatever his destiny is.

You are right Jon has to face some serious consequences where we fear for him. If you look at the big three they all have to face terrible adversity.

Tyrion was convicted of murder, he was doomed almost saved by Oberyn but no luck he was going to get executed. But he barely escapes but with the cost of killing his father. No matter how much he hated his father I doubt Tyrion thought him capable of that, he was pushed to the brink of death and gave up on life. He is with Dany now and finding his feet again.

Dany was finding her home in Drogo and she was with child, and all that was taken from her. Drogo in a coma she is forced to mercy kill him and she births a demon child because of black magic. It was that loss that pushed her to birth her dragons, get her armies, become queen and find herself.

Jon so far has been relatively safe. It is time for him to face death real adversity and that is how he will reach that next step if he has to fulfill whatever his destiny is.

Jon was forced to kill Qorin. Jon fell in love with Ygritte. Jon had to betray Ygritte, and saw her killed. Jon was the one who made the decision to treat with Mance for the safety of his men, knowing almost certain he would meet death there. Jon has had a rough ordeal really, but mostly he endured because of his sense of duty and his ''brothers''. IF they are taken away like this as well it's not going to end well for him. A man breaks at one point, and this will be Jon's I fear.

We don't know if this is a deviation from the books because, as it stands right now, we don't know if Jon is dead or not. GRRM has been cryptic on whether he's survived the assassination attempt or not (albeit, with a few seeming winks to the former).

So we can't say this is a break from what's in the books. Do we even know for sure yet that FTW is definitely going to happen in the next episode? Harrington's contract being renewed means one of two things:

1. Jon does indeed survive FTW -whether though magical means or because it just wasn't a very good attempt to kill him.

2. FTW won't be happening until season 6.

Still people who think Jon is dead in the books huh?

Pretty sure they will make a cliffhanger with something of a FTW scene. Doesn’t have to be a stabbing but it probably will be. I sure as hell don’t hope he will die + resurrect. Because that could mean it also happens in the books and that’s the least satisfying ‘survivals’ of JS that I can imagine. If that’s the case, I would rather see him die. But thinking about GRRM’s quote about whether or not Jon is dead, I think I can be safe to say that he isn’t.

Archived