Rant and Rave Without Repercussion 2 (Book Spoilers)

Let's stop referring to D&D as Gaston and Lefou. They aren't even fit to shine Lefou's boots, let alone those of the great Gaston! Plus, D&D couldn't pull off a song like this in a million years. :P

It's funny because it's ridiculous...

...and it's funny because it's so undoubtedly true.

Still catching up. I'm gonna need to go to bed by the time I catch up.

I have no problem with Renly or anything that happened. I just hoped that Stannis would tell Brienne that she's wielding the sword given to her by the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard to King Tommen Baratheon...so...kill me you hypocrite.

Yeah, call her out on her bullshit at least. Or at least ask her what she's doing in the North, gather the info about Sansa, then tell her that while she's busy killing the last true Baratheon Sansa's one good chance at escape with all the Boltons busy mopping up is slipping away.

Brienne is so hopelessly confused in this show. As much as I hate Renly I'm kind of offended that they didn't transfer this character arc or motivation to Loras----the actual love of Renly's life. Ugh..... its so bad.....

i have a $100 that says next book comes out and GRRM says it won't be concluded in book 7. They've constructed a money making machine that arguably doesn't have to end and we are left either not caring or forgetting why we cared in the first place about most characters. I'm going to call a train wreck season 6.

Crap, this could have turned into a great storyline. Instead of "half our army deserted sire!" It could have been "Half our-" "Army is gone, soldier, not deserted. Sent on a mission" Stannis said to his squire.

The sellswords pretend to defect, they convince the Boltons telling them the true story of Shireen's sacrifice and also their dislike with the whole campaign, Bolton's let them in. Slaughter ensues, Stannis marches inside Winterfell with Ramsay and Roose either killed or escaped.

And that would be a 1000 times more palatable the great farce that was ShowMarchOnWinterfell.

Anything would have been better than what we got. I can't wait to read GRRM's conclusion to Stannis' campaign and the siege of Winterfell...D&D's "Battle of the Thaw" is going to look so sad and lame (more so than it does already, if that's possible) in comparison.

To be fair they didn't do Renly that well either. He's a shrimpy awkward gay stereotype in the show. With his boyfriend going to any guy that will take him without mourning and the only true love that was devoted to him was from Brienne.

It's pretty clear that they are Daenerys fans. She's collected a bunch of purified characters to join her party.

St. Tyrion who wants no revenge but just to support Daenerys

Respectful Jorah who doesn't receive any real karma from his time as a slaver and isn't totally creepy around Dany but instead just a shy guy who doesn't want to ruin her relationships

Daario the jack of all trades who isn't a blue haired brute at all

Grey worm and Missandei the best love story in Planetos

In fact outside of Team Daenerys there isn't anybody else you can reasonably root for on the show. Everyone else is either portrayed as more horrible or more incompetent compared to how they actually are.

To be fair, I'll take the Grey Worm/Missandei romance over Trystane & Myrcella's Young Luv anytime. The latter relationship made Twilight appear to be the height of sophistication.

i have a $100 that says next book comes out and GRRM says it won't be concluded in book 7. They've constructed a money making machine that arguably doesn't have to end and we are left either not caring or forgetting why we cared in the first place about most characters. I'm going to call a train wreck season 6.

He won't finish in 7 books but it's nothing to do with money, he simply has lost motivation and discipline.

I agree, especially about the trainwreck of season 6, holy shit. Just imagine, D&D unleashed with no source material to keep them in line, is like Ramsay without Roose.

I like calling them the Inglourious Basterds, but anything goes, I suppose.

Great, now I'm picturing Brad Pitt as Steelshanks interrogating one of ShowBaratheon soldiers: "I'm in the Baratheon killing business, and cousin, business is a-booming"

I shouldn't find that funny but I've divorced myself completely from ShowBaratheons. BookBaratheons are my boys, plain and simple. They rode with their king to smash Mance Rayder with twenty times their number, they marched with him and the mountain clans to free Deepwood Motte, and they've got badasses like Ser Richard "Slayer" Horpe, a man who was too good at killing to get admitted to the kingsguard

He won't finish in 7 books but it's nothing to do with money, he simply has lost motivation and discipline.

I agree friend. I think the "Meereenese knot" combined with the ages of arya and bran, have exhausted him.

I agree, especially about the trainwreck of season 6, holy shit. Just imagine, D&D unleashed with no source material to keep them in line, is like Ramsay without Roose.

My thoughts exactly. No source material? Theyve been exposed numerous times, get the popcorn for the comical conclusion Walking Dead/Days of our lives style

The only thing I'll add to my rant is that they are digging their own graves by cutting so many characters to probally save budget and simplify the story.

Stannis lost because there is no Fatty scheming within the walls of winterfell, there are no mountain clans etc. etc.

Barristan only died because there is no battle for Meereen, no greyjoy's, no Yunkaii outside the walls etc. etc. (Oh he died because of shock value ofcourse)

Dorne's plot is the worst piece of television history, only because they decided to cut the entire dornish masterplan with all and everyone involved, except Doran who we only got to see for a total of 3 minutes screen time.

ShowBrienne is the best boyscout in history by finding all people on her list within no time at all, because having here look to long for Sansa and meet other characters and possibly meet the hound is not what we want ofcourse!

And, like Elio & Garcia put it correctly, Jon died because some stupid little kid can't see the bigger picture and is to ignorant to look beyond his own selfish thoughts, not because of a series of political straining events that give

the night's watch brothers a better excuse to ceasarize Jon.

I'm probally forgetting alot of stuff.. so feel free to add

You've all done a great job of discussing the obvious grievances, so I'll just say that it's a real shame how D&D have lost their way.

In ASoIaF, the characters drive the plot. In GoT, they are becoming little more than video game sprites at the mercy of a kid with a control pad.

:bowdown:

Nicely put.

Anything would have been better than what we got. I can't wait to read GRRM's conclusion to Stannis' campaign and the siege of Winterfell...D&D's "Battle of the Thaw" is going to look so sad and lame (more so than it does already, if that's possible) in comparison.

I am really looking forward to the Book Battle of Winterfell, and am cracking up that people are trying to say this turn of events means it will be a huge disaster. Anyone who actually uses this show as a barometer for future events in book has to have their head examined. The shows have already deviated hugely from the source material that's been published for years, so suddenly D&D are going to be accurate more material that is as yet unpublished and according to GRRM not written in the first place?

You know, when Olly came forward, he should have stuffed a potatoe in Jon's mouth before stabbing him. End on the same shot as the show did, only this time Jon has a big fucking potatoe crammed inside his mouth. How's that for a great visual :P

Terrific visual, thank you.

I'm of the mind that Orphan Olly will have to pay the price. Little punk didn't voice his true reasons; For Muh Parents and The Potatoes. Maybe he'll lose a fight with Wun Wun over a bag of spuds? I saw a tweet suggesting the giant step on him, but a food fight might be best, LOL

Ramsay Bolton, the former bastard with no military strategic feats aside from hunting people like dogs, beats Stannis Baratheon because in the show, the latter and the writters completely forgot his resume from the books...

It might have been the work hours, that i can understand... but at least say it

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

"Well, he just set fire to a whole bunch of your shit."

"Damn. Go fetch my daughter. And some matches."

So, yeah, it's a good thing they didn't include that speech, just to have Stannis' army crippled and then destroyed by the Bastard of Bolton.

On the other hand, it's good to see that Stannis can survive a full head on cavalry charge, but cavalry can't survive a Stannis charge. He got to the motherfucking woods somehow.

Well, I had a terrible feeling that this season was going to be bad when they started talking about how they were departing from the books more than ever before...and it turned out worse than even my worst fears. I can't even imagine a Season 6 with D&D completely free to run wild with GRRM's world and characters...holy shit.

The only thing I'll add to my rant is that they are digging their own graves by cutting so many characters to probally save budget and simplify the story.

Stannis lost because there is no Fatty scheming within the walls of winterfell, there are no mountain clans etc. etc.

Barristan only died because there is no battle for Meereen, no greyjoy's, no Yunkaii outside the walls etc. etc. (Oh he died because of shock value ofcourse)

Dorne's plot is the worst piece of television history, only because they decided to cut the entire dornish masterplan with all and everyone involved, except Doran who we only got to see for a total of 3 minutes screen time.

ShowBrienne is the best boyscout in history by finding all people on her list within no time at all, because having here look to long for Sansa and meet other characters and possibly meet the hound is not what we want ofcourse!

And, like Elio & Garcia put it correctly, Jon died because some stupid little kid can't see the bigger picture and is to ignorant to look beyond his own selfish thoughts, not because of a series of political straining events that give

How about Mel arriving at the Wall in no time flat with one of the lucky horses spared by Ramsey and his 20 good men! Gosh I'm starting to enjoy this

Well, I had a terrible feeling that this season was going to be bad when they started talking about how they were departing from the books more than ever before...and it turned out worse than even my worst fears. I can't even imagine a Season 6 with D&D completely free to run wild with GRRM's world and characters...holy shit.

im convinced this mysterious meeting between D&D and GRRM was nothing more than two Renly fanboys with a good memory of The Tower of the Hand and nice fat check from HBO

You've got a really good point there. Cut characters and storylines have the effect of rendierng other storylines inert or way more desperate than they'd otherwise be.

I'm now also building a nice big rage over the fact that I won't ever get to see a portly actor say the line "Mayhaps it was a blessing, had they lived they would grown up Freys."

I actually want GRRM to fuck with the story, just to see how D&D will not be able to handle it and to prove Littlefinger wrong in that chaos is not a ladder... but indeed a gaping pit ready to swallow them

Archived